Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend report: Whittier tunnel, weather, fishing, etc.

Default Weekend report: Whittier tunnel, weather, fishing, etc.

Arrived Friday afternoon on Bear Valley side of the tunnel around 4:30-5 to wait for the 7:30 opening. Third boat in line. By opening time, there was a long line of vehicles and boats. Pilot car lead the way past the area where they've been blasting and clearing. Road a little rough, but not bad.

Ready to launch and was rapidly approached by attendant asking for launch fee. He even filled out the paperwork (they're serious about getting paid). Second or third to launch. The new launching area is top notch. The concrete ramps go WAY out into the water. Docks have non-skid surface, good lighting, etc. The only drawback is if there were boats on the insides of both docks. There would not be enough room (I don't think) to get out or in by going between them. But overall, a great improvement in the facilities.

Shrimped a little at the usual places. Success was so-so, but enough to be satisfied.

Fished for halibut from Montague out to Seal Rocks. Two people fishing for two days, kept 6. Ranged in size from 10 or so to 45 lbs (just one at 45). A few lings that were released. None very large.

The usual sea life. One humpback, but never seen so many Dahl Porpoises before. Saw one shark on the surface near Cochran Bay entrance.

Weather ranged from overcast, a little breezy and cold to sunny and fairly warm. Worst part was coming into Passage Canal Sunday mid-afternoon where it got nasty with strong winds and whitecaps. Water for the most part elsewhere was calm and sometimes glassy.

In line at the tunnel at 4 PM for the 8 PM opening out of Whittier. Get stuff put away, grill steak and shrimp, take it easy. Put 220 miles on the boat (my fishing buddy's). Everyone was glad to get out on the water.

Thanks for the report - take any pics? Passage Canal can be choppy with that day breeze - like Kachemak Bay.

Sunday morning.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default whittier shrimp

sky diver we were behind you leaving ,if that was you steaming shrimp on the grill with orange juice? we had a nice time and also shrimped and set out bear baits we picked up 112lbs of shrimp in 4 pulls , I'll see if my buddy will post a pic, hope the bears hit the bait by next week so we can do it again
    Dave Pope

Quote Originally Posted by ugly duckling View Post
    sky diver we were behind you leaving ,if that was you steaming shrimp on the grill with orange juice? we had a nice time and also shrimped and set out bear baits we picked up 112lbs of shrimp in 4 pulls , I'll see if my buddy will post a pic, hope the bears hit the bait by next week so we can do it again
    Dave Pope
    Please post pic's of 112lb's of shrimp in 4 pulls. Would be drooling over that for a few years

Great report. Heading out that way here in 4 days for my first trip in PWS. Looking forward too it especially with all the pics and news of shrimp galore

Dave Pope
    That was us. That was my buddy grilling the shrimp and steaks. I was the one telling him to hurry the hell up!

Skydiver,
    That's two trips to my zero trips already! You two are going to wear out the new vessel before mine gets wet this year.

Default Here you go Ugly Duckling

Dave Pope
    I can only post 2 pictures, I will post one more here.

Default One More

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I can only post 2 pictures, I will post one more here.
    Here is 20 Gal

Nice haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Here is 20 Gal
    That is to incredible, have never found a mother load like that.
    We made the 0600 tunnel Friday morning and returned Sunday night, had a great time exploring some the islands along with fishing a shrimping. Found 7 stashed shrimp pots over by Eshamy bay-clam shell type-looked like they’d been there for a while and still are. Had a pod of Porpoises follow us over there Saturday morning while having breakfast.
    Limited out on yellow eye early on along with an assortment of black bass and rock fish.
    Saw one Humpback waking its tail on the water for like 15 minutes, must be the season or something.
    Visited the old historical cabin on Crafton Island.
    Total travel on the water about 175 miles, on the beaches about 8, found some strange stuff washed up.
    The shrimping for use was ok but not as good as I’d hope, sure could use some pointers in that department.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Dave Pope
    Please post a pic of your boat so I can follow you to your shrimpin Hole
    Nice Haul

Henry

Breausaw - thank you for leaving the pots you found. Setnetters in the Eshamy District stash gear in the woods for storage. Having folks steal your stuff can set you back significantly. Even if the pots were old and not using for gillnetting, the mind set is the same. Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    Breausaw - thank you for leaving the pots you found. Setnetters in the Eshamy District stash gear in the woods for storage. Having folks steal your stuff can set you back significantly. Even if the pots were old and not using for gillnetting, the mind set is the same. Thanks!!
    I wouldn’t dream of grabbing someone’s gear, even if it looked like it been there for 10 years; nor would I divulge their incredible hidden location; the design was unique that’s why I took pictures.
    We respect other people’s property and hope others will do the same.

Jay
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Shrimp care?

We are planing on spending four days and three nights in PWS and I was wondering if there was anything special we should do to take care of the many shrimp we plan on harvesting in that time? Any thoughts

Thanks in advance
    Will

pinch their heads and pack the tails on ice ,eat the ones you catch first freeze the ones you catch last,have fun
    Dave

Thanks for the pics Luke.

Default Hurry up MYERS

Just got in from being out for 4 days. Flattest water I ever saw. Hottest weather I ever felt. Great fishing, saw lots of bears. One of the hunters missed the biggest bear I ever saw. Oh well, he still got one.

Myers, I am going to stop by your house and untarp your boat this week weather you are ready or not. Get on the water!

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Skydiver,
    That's two trips to my zero trips already! You two are going to wear out the new vessel before mine gets wet this year.
    Kammer
    22' Seasport

Default Almost forgot.

I finally got the rack on my boat. Sure came in handy.

I had another good fish pic so I threw it in there.
    Kammer
    22' Seasport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast