Thread: flame me if you like; but want opinions

Default flame me if you like; but want opinions

I actually posted this as a response to another thread but decided to move it to my own thread, probably to be soon flamed by other users...

I have a question; this is the first year Iíve chosen to bait and while setting up two stands (me and another guy) this weekend we saw a lot of (marginal?) illegal activity in that; people had stands (3 we found) that were obviously held over from last year (didn't clean up area and no sign of any bait from this year), a bait stand with several geese hanging from trees, and two stands with no baiting signs anywhere in sight. ALL ILLEGAL from what I read in the regs.

In every case we cleared out quick to avoid causing any scent trail and eventually set up our bait stands in other areas that weren't being baited. But to the question, how many people leave out something at a bait stand after the season to ensure they get the same stand the following year? And how can that be legal since the regs say you are supposed to clean up the area after baiting?

I for one will still continue to respect even the stands obviously not being used but my only concern is when those stands keep new baiters like me from being able to bait in decent spots when they are not being used. I just happen to be lucky enough that I have the Alaska toys and funds to get myself a bit further out than most hunters.

btw the area we were in was a very hard area to get into so we were quite shocked to see the sheer number of stands and I tend to wonder if the non baited stands will even be used at all this year.

I have read several posts on this topic that insinuated that baiters tend to leave out barrels, stands, etc !!against the law!! and believe it gives them to the right to the land year after year...

B

I report all baiting activities that I think are illegal. I give GPS coordinates to the stands/garbage mess to the local F&W enforcement and allow them to determine if they think it's illegal.

Frankly, there is a TON of bear baiting abuse and it's the responsibility of responsible hunters to police violations if they see them. It's not like I am running around looking for these things, but when it's moose season and there are still a dozen empty Home Depot 5 gal buckets scattered around a permanent stand that is too close to residences..I am going to call it in.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I agree with AKDoug. Nobody wants to be a tattletale and I have never reported anyone. Even though I have seen plenty to report. However these hunters that continue to do things illegally will eventually make it so none of us can hunt. We are our own worst enemies. Whether it is illegal actives or unethical hunting practices, they are the ones who will be the end of what some of us love so much.

It is our responsibility to police one another even if it is just a friendly reminder to a hunter who doesnít know any better. I need to start walking the walk myself and address these issues in the field when I see them occurring.

Shane

My guess is that any body can haul in a 55 Gallon drum on a snow machine on top of 4' of snow, when the Alders are bent over, but shy of cutting it up with a battery powered saws'all ain't no way to get it out in one piece.

In 40 years I have never seen a Fish & Game COP more than 30 yards from his or her, truck or Super Cub. What is really interesting, is given nearly zero Game Law Enforcement, that poaching is NOT the standard.

What cracks me up.......is everyone thinks his bait station is so well hidden. Sunrise, Alaska has 9 winter residents, and 11 summer residents. NOW five (MORE than 50% of population) of us hike 5 to 10 miles per day, everyday, mostly all off trail. Up and down the Arm (Turnagain), up & down the powerline, back every valley, ridge, gulch, & creek. We track the bears, & we track the bear hunters. We know all the hunters boot sizes, and sole'patterns. We know all the Brown Bears, by their track, the black bears not so much, unless it is a HOG' Black Bear.

At least the bear hunters don't smoke in the woods, the moose hunters do, and Chugach Electric Employees do.

In 40 years I have never seen a Fish & Game COP more than 30 yards from his or her, truck or Super Cub.
    I guess you haven't been around ours. Yep, they spend a ton of time on the mentioned vehicles, but I have run into more than one on foot a mile from them.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I've never seen them on foot in the field, but I do know that they seem to take violation reports pretty seriously. I called in an illegal baiter near my home last year and the F&G trooper wanted me to meet him to take him to the exact spot, even though I gave him the coords. So I assumed they took it serious.

As much as I support baiting blackies, there are alot of folks out there who are damaging the reputation of hunters with their baiting practices...

I used to be able to ignore it...now I turn the slobs in... especially within a mile of my home.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I guess you haven't been around ours. Yep, they spend a ton of time on the mentioned vehicles, but I have run into more than one on foot a mile from them.

Same here.
    They turn up in some unlikely places at times!

When it comes to those that are blantantly violating the rules, I too will turn them in.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default flame me

Turn them in.A friend of mine years ago told me,They are taking the resource from me.Maybe not this year but next.You might be hungery next time,but if it was poached then I guess you don't eat.
    Do what you can to keep us all honest or at least for some in the court system.

Default Rolling bears....

I know what your going thru bud, but what Im about to say is only by word of mouth from a fella I know who is a naitive. When asked where I was baiting on the river which he knew I told him I had found a few old stands from the year before that had jugs still tied to the trees and grease on the trees and along the ground. He called them naitive stands cause like him (naitive) they just leave the stuff out there, now mind you this was not on Naitive lands either which Im sure they do that there also but anyhow....

He said to kill all the bears we could find as they dont like them bears at all and proceded to tell me about rolling bears which explained why we found a bear skull with a bullet hole between its eyes and I was wondering why somewone would leave it knowing it was a kill shot,anyhow the deal is that they go out in the fall and find denning bears and either plug the dens so they die in them or they just right out kill em and leave.

Also come fall when the salmon are in and the fishwheels are going he said they sit along the shore while some of them dump all the non essential parts of fish on the far shoreline and when a bear pops out BOOM! they kill it ride on over and "roll" the bear in the river.

So like you its like what should I do? But word of mouth is not substantial and it bothers me but oh well they dont care That Im up there shooting bears, infact they are tickled pink.

In your case for the fact they are hanging Geese, take the coordinates and turn it in to the authorities along with pictures also. Thats just my two cents.

Default didn't get flamed like I thought

sure thought this would be one of those threads that got a rash of ---- so thanks all for the nice inputs to my rant.

I for one am a big believer in what's right is not the same as what's legal by any stretch and won't judge too harshly in what other people do as long as it doesn't harm or hurt someone else's rights or pocket book. So for the most part I probably won't report the people who are practicing questionable baiting even though I choose the high road. Everyone has good points here regards to F&G following up, native's doing their thing (sorry whole new bucket or worms I could start since I believe they have more right than me to the resources), and plain old lazy practices (which I can understand, putting up bait and stands was rough work on Saturday).

And Daniel I know what you mean, I was in a native village and was to told shoot as many bears as I could so they wouldn't have to, and on another occasion told the basically the same thing from an older native gentleman about killing bears (grizz) out of season and to "just let them rot" (of course I didn't do either)... kinda shocked me.

Well just wanted to say thanks before this moved down to page two or three...

B

Default Don't give up yet

So one will come along with the flames.

if folks wanna play the game they need to play by the rules...straight up. we all have to police ourselves and each other, 90 percent of the time we are our own enforcement. I've found bait barrels up north just off runways that guys have left as well.
    If you know the guy who has the stand talk to him, maybe its a detail that got missed, hurt his back, couldn't get to the stand...outa state for some reason or something that prevented them from getting in and getting their stuff out, or just let the troopers decide on it. maybe offer to help him out, if they are still baiting the stand or trying to pull one over..turn them in. But sometimes folks just get handed a bad deal and a chain reaction is set in motion that prevented it one way or the other. I never thought simple mistakes or circumstances should be nailed to the wall...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I could be wrong here but aren't geese only hunteable with a federal permit? Don't think they can be used as bait either. Call F&G and let them know about the geese, thats serious business and i'm sure the feds would like to know who is killing them and using them as bait. Heck, i'd call them all in and let F&G sort it all out.

Default birds

Depends on what type of geese they are. If they are domestic, it is fine with no legal ramifications. If they are a wild species and was shot sport hunting (hopefully last fall and not this spring) as long as they have the breast meat removed, it is legal to use the rest for bait.

I would turn them in . Here is the bottom line to me.

#1 They aren't following the law
    #2 They are giving baiters a bad name and it wasn't good to start out.
    #3 The possible side effects of these guys will effect you at one time or another.