Thread: PWS Deer over Thanksgiving?

Default PWS Deer over Thanksgiving?

I know this is a long shot, but is anyone planning on going hunting in PWS over the 4-day Thanksgiving break that would like a tag-along or two willing to split gas and other expenses? Our boat is out of commission getting the engine replaced in Seward, and the cost of a drop-off is just a bit too steep right now. Splitting gas and food would be great, though, if anyone is interested. Let me know...

-Brian

I might be interested. I have a moose to get first, hopefully I'll get out this weekend.

Sounds good - let me know if you're interested as the date approaches.

As for moose, do you have a Ft. Rich archery tag? A hillside cow tag? Just curious where you're chasing them this late.

-Brian

I have a Tier 2 moose tag for unit 16. I have applied for years and finally got one. I didn't have to resort to lying, when they cancelled the harvest hunt they doubled the number of sub tags available.
    I have the boat in the shop at work so I can see if my new dingy will fit on top. I have never hunted deer on the Sound, but am eager to try. A friend sounds very informative, but family might keep him in town over the long weekend. I run a Sea Sport Explorer 24'.

Brian,
    I am going to be in Fairbanks until Thursday morning for work. I am going to have to take a pass on this hunt. I am still interested in a later hunt if it works out. Thaks for the thought.
    Kevin

No worries. It looks like its not going to happen, but I thought I'd still throw it out there. Perhaps another time.

-Brian

Default PWS conditions

Just a note to all potential PWS deer hunters, check the forecast before you leave. It's been bad in the sound with North winds and freezing spray for about 3 days now. The snow is about knee deep and crusty so it makes still hunting hard. The deer haven't seemed to hit the beaches hard yet either. The good news is, the rut is starting so there is some activity, but with the full moon just passing, they seem to be real active at night.

A friend and I made a three day hunt Fri, Sat and Sun. We got three deer apiece but got them all the last day. first two days we only saw 2 deer total. Last day about 15.

I got three spikes, Tony got a doe, a spike, and a nice fork horn. If I remember, I'll shrink a pic of his big one and post it.

Well Rick, let's hope the hunting picks up by Thanksgiving. I bought my brother's bowpicker and I want to get a deer or two with it while I'm in town.

Are the guys still having DLP problems like we did last year?

Default bears and deer

Quote Originally Posted by Burton View Post
    Well Rick, let's hope the hunting picks up by Thanksgiving. I bought my brother's bowpicker and I want to get a deer or two with it while I'm in town.

Are the guys still having DLP problems like we did last year?
    Good Luck! Haven't heard of any dlp's except talked to an out of town guy who shot one in Fish Bay that was being aggressive. His partner shot one too, but by choice. They both had tags too.

Didn't see any bear sign this time out. A few boats came in with deer when we did. Warren and Jeff got 6 down in Port Etches, the Remedy came in with 16 for 4 guys also in Pt Eyches I think, Vic's group had 9 when we left up in the Double Bay /Anderson Bay area and they were staying til Wed., and I heard Pete B and his group got 12. I past them where your dad had the problem last year, but I'm sure they moved around. Sounds like those thre cubs have been making a little trouble this summer and fall around some of the cabins in Canoe Pass, but I think they went to sleep for a while now.

Vic ran into one a couple weeks ago at close range, but that was the last one I've heard of. They both backed out of the situation.

um... what is a dlp?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Defense of life or property. Basically, shooting a bear in self defense.

-Brian