Thread: rifle and pistol for alaska

Default rifle and pistol for alaska

i takeing the following rifles and pistol to alaska
    here is what i takeing with me in the car to drive up to alaska
    pistol
    s&w mountain smith 44.mag revolver with 4.inch barrel for back country use with speedloaders
    charter arms 45.acp revolver with 2.inch barrel as back up to 1911 pistol
    in town carry as need
    colt 1911 45.acp pistol with a 6.inch long threaded barrel and long slide set up for town carry and limted 10 pistol matchs in the areas as i was told there was a pistol league in the area that shoots limted pistol

rifles
    walther lg 300.xt 177 cal air rifle with scope for 10 meter indoor brenchrest
    blaser m-95 combo rifle and shotgun in 308.and 12.ga.
    howa rifle in 338 mag
    m1a-308 rifle
    plus some class three stuff for the pistol and rifle item packed into the hardshell weapons case as need
    all packed into a hardshell case for travel plus my cloths and laptop
    all packed into the car for travel
    i leaveing on the may 26 for my new home there in alaska ..driveing up to seattle and take the ferry to very last place it stops in alaska and drive up to anchorage to get my apt for a while intill i get my place bult on my land

i was thinking about driveing though canada but with guns laws the way they are i am not going that route ..i would have to ship up the pistol and class three items to a dealer up there ..it might change here in the next couple of days ..i do not know if i am going though seattle or take the alaska highway up for a once in a lifetime drive ..
    plus leaveing the little back up revolver out to come with me on the drive as i go north to seattle

Are you asking a question or making a statement? Trying to take any handguns and/or class III items thru Canadian customs will garner you more headaches than you prob. want to deal with. If you drive then recommend you ship these ahead....or prob lose them at the border since these types of firearms usually results in the Canadians coming unglued to say the least!! If you elect to drive (which I recommend) then make sure you pick up a copy of the milepost. Good luck.

http://www.milepost.com/

If you're leaving for Seattle on 5/26 and do not have ferry reservations yet you could be in for a long wait.
    Last edited by kingfisherktn; 05-11-2009 at 06:12. Reason: spelling

Default dont

dont try to bring handgun thru here (canada) some left wing judge in ontario really threw the book at some poor guy that was driving across on a day trip and forgot he had his handgun. The judge said he was dishing out the hard sentence because "we know handguns cause nothing but murder and mayhem"! I think the ferry only runs to Skagway? Could be wrong on that.

I think he has texas cop papers and can probably swing it

The state ferry will go into Whittier, so you don't have to go through Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    The state ferry will go into Whittier, so you don't have to go through Canada.
    There is a ferry connection from Southeast to Southcentral now? Last time I looked into it went from Washington to Skagway or Cordova to points west. With no ferry between Southeast and Southcentral at all.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    There is a ferry connection from Southeast to Southcentral now? Last time I looked into it went from Washington to Skagway or Cordova to points west. With no ferry between Southeast and Southcentral at all.

Yes there is a connection. You have to connect at Juneau to Yakutak then to Whittier.

Default Henry 2 FYI

Do you know you access the ferry system in Bellingham and not Seattle?

The Canadians do not care if you are a cop or not. In fact they took my car apart a couple times because I showed up as law enforcement in the computer and they were sure I had something hidden away somewhere.
    Better hope to make it to Valdez or Whittier via ferry.
    Hopefully you already have a job lined up...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

the do not care if you a cop or not they do not like people bring handguns into the county..
    had a run in with one up there many years ago when i was as a fed and it not a nice thing to have your boss come down and get you,..
    i was thinking about driveing but i going the ferry route so i can take the items with me in the car,..
    i book passage on the ferry last month to farest point on the line that they stop at and it in alaska i just have to drive the rest of the way into anchorage and my small 10..ft pod will be at the apt waiting for me to unload and ship the pod back to them ..
    the other units are going to my land in around homer area for waiting to build my home there..

Default Enjoy the trip

The ferry ride from Bellingham to Whittier is a very beautiful trip. Be sure and get off the ferry at all the stops they allow, there are some neat little towns in the southeast. I would also suggest a good book or two, that week on the ferry can be boring at times.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

i bringing my nikon d-90 digtal camera with a bunch of sd cards for takeing photos along with my laptop with dvds and books for the trip ..
    i plan to make a couple of stops before getting on the ferry and seeing some old friends along the way before getting to the ferry site ..