Thread: Salted Herring for Halibut?

Default Salted Herring for Halibut?

Has anyone ever heard of soaking Herring in a brine solution to dehydrate prior to letting them soak on the bottom?
    Someone had told me of a techinque he used, I cant remember the details, but it was something about letting the herring thaw in a bucket with some rock salt or ice cream salt prior to fishing.
    Anyone done this? if so can you clue me on the specifics?
    What does this do?

Layer of herring, good coat of rock salt, another layer of herrring,etc. It makes its own brine, stays tuff, and last untill next year. Just add some salt and herring thru the summer and you have some good bait.

Salted herring will work, if you are on a mess of halibut, but it's not the best route to go, IMO.

Jigs tipped with salmon belly, Salmon Guts, Salmon heads/parts, and fresh juicy herring all beat the dried out salted stuff in my experience. The more scent you get down there, the better..

I have a tub of the stuff. I use it on my subsistence halibut skate. It does okay on a rod and reel too.

I just cut fresh herring into 3rds or halves depending on size then alternate layers of fish and salt. I use fine grained salt for this.
    Now what ?

Talking

salted bait is for the half day boats it keeps the bait hard so it will stay on the hook.......use a whole herring with three slices by the anal fin and then inject the herring under the skin with a needle and butt juice.....and hang on......
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

I take a package of frozen herring and pack it in zip lock bag full of rock salt when I launch the boat. It seems like by the time I hit the fishing grounds the bait is thawed and slightly firmed up. I like to keep the bait in a cooler once it thaws as the skin will get too tough if left out in the salt at air temps.

The key is to slightly dry out the herring with the salt so it stays on the hook, but not to get it so dry that it's as tough as rubber. I like to fillet a couple of herring and cut 1" strips to add to my jigs, or use with mooching rigs for salmon and rockfish.

At one of the lectures at the sportsmans show the guy was saying brine them in a salt and powdered milk mix, he said it helps preserve the scales and makes them shiny.

I don't salt mine because I think it makes them tough and not nearly as scented. I just soak them in herring oil on my way out to the grounds. Fresh herring is a must though. Rotten herring is ok for a chum bag but I make sure my bait is never rotten.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I just spray the herring with a little herring oil. I fillet the herring to. This puts out more scent.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    I don't salt mine because I think it makes them tough and not nearly as scented. I just soak them in herring oil on my way out to the grounds. Fresh herring is a must though. Rotten herring is ok for a chum bag but I make sure my bait is never rotten.
    Pike,
    I am a novice at this, so I have a lot of questions, do you use any particular type of herring oil?
    The only thing I see at the sports stores are the little bottles and it seems like it would take a lot of them to really soak much bait?
    Is there something I am missing here?
    John

You can get herring oil by the gallon at BJ commercial.

You can get herring oil in gallons at Sportsmans too. I saw them yesterday. But I've gotten mine in the little bottles then I take a marinade injector and inject the oil into the chest cavity till it oozes out.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

What does a gallon of herring oil cost if i may ask?

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    $38.00 in most places. and it is mixed with other fish oils!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    If you want pure Herring oil go to B&J's but be prepared for sticker shock. I was in there yesterday and someone asked, it was over one hundred dollars per gallon.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Thanks guys! I will be in Homer and as close to Anchorage is the airport. I change planes and head to Homer. Is the cheaper herring oil ok for Halibut? I made some scent containers out of 2'' PVC pipe with holes drilled in it and stuffed with foam. I would hate to spend 100.00 if the cheaper stuff works.

Hit up the Kacemak Bay Gear Shed, they'll have herring oil and all the tackle you could want.

I stuff a few cut up herring and soak them in oil in my chum tube, then let it down with the anchor.

Pour the herring or herring mix oil into smaller containers and put the gallon jug in the freezer, as it should last for years.