Thread: How do you keep your fly tying material organized

Default How do you keep your fly tying material organized

Just wondering how everyone else keeps their fly tying material organized. I have been using a small cardboard box but it is over flowing and I end up with bags and feathers all over the place. I was thinking of buying a tackle box but I'm not sure all the spaces are big enough for the different sizes of bags. Let me know!

I don't have a dedicated desk, so I use a rolling 7 drawer organizer. They aren't the best quality, but lots of storage and I can keep like items together. Hooks, Beads/Chenile, Dubbing, Rabbit Strips/Hides, Hackle and feathers. I have a tool caddy on top and 3 lexan containers for thread, tinsel, acetate floss, frostbite etc. I use film cannisters with a slit in the lid to organize chenile and small jars for various beads, eyes and coneheads.

I have that exact same system for mine...those pull out drawers rock. Have an extra small one for the special stuff...keep the good materials in the freezer (spey stuff mostly).

I do keep my spools of thread in a little plastic container..would love to have a rack. And bought a cheap desk at office max on sale a few weeks ago for my new fly tying table and storage..the joys of getting divorced you loose all the good toys Use a coffee cup for pheasant tails and peacock feathers and a hunk of foam for my tools..just stab them in.

Thats too funny looking at that pic again how close to my setup it is!

Default desk, ziplocs and rubbermaids

Man, that rolling organizer looks pretty sweet. I think I just found my next fly tying purchase.

For the first few years I was tying I used a tackle box to store a lot of my tying tools and materials, along with a small rubbermaid to store larger stuff (capes, hair swatches, wings, etc.). But I out grew the tackle box years ago as I aquired more materials.

For my bday last April, my wife got me a nice little secretary's desk that has become my permanent tying station. I keep my tools and most used threads, materials, chenilles and odds and ends there. My current method of storing all the rest of my materials is a couple of big rubbermaids and ziploc bags. I group like materials in ziploc bags (bag of marabou, bag of loose/strung hackle, bag of rabbit, bag of bucktail, bag of wool, you get the idea.) And then I just keep all the bags in the rubbermaids. I have a smaller little rubbermaid that's just hooks.

My wife was going to get me a nice little shelving unit to match the desk for my bday this year, so that I could upgrade from the rubbermaids. But... we split up a few weeks ago (I hear you tradbow ) so it looks like that will have to wait for a while.

I still have the old tacklebox, which I use from time to time if I'm going to a buddy's to tie or take some stuff into the field. I probably need to clean it out sometime as it's aquired 20 years worth of odds and ends that I never think to dig into.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Hartford Michigan

Somebody organizes their fly tying materials

I also use the same type of cabinet......three of them.