Thread: ODD Spring Float - May 16-17, 2009

Default ODD Spring Float - May 16-17, 2009

Well, it looks like we're on for a fun weekend. The early weather reports look good, and the river is flowing free. The plan, if you haven't read through the older posts, is to put in at the second Glacier View Bridge, right near mile 102 on the Glenn Highway, about noon this coming Saturday. And the take out will probably be behind the old King Mt Lodge Sunday afternoon. That's about 25 miles.

For those interested in running Lion's Head Rapids above Glacier View, the put in time is 10 am, on the far side of Caribou Creek Bridge. These are *put in* times, not arrival times. Plan ahead.

You will need to add time for boat setup and launching, and we will need to run a shuttle. The shuttle will probably take 2 hours. The ideal option is for one person to do set up for your boat, while a second person does the shuttle. There is very little room for set up and launching at the Caribou Creek put in, and I'm sure there will be some time lost to congestion. So I'm thinking you need to be at the put in by 7 am if you're planning on doing Lion's Head. And 9 am if you're launching at Glacier View. Each group can run their own shuttles as a group.

Glenn Highway is a slow drive for the last 40 miles or so, and there will likely be a construction delay around mile 90 (Victory Road), so figure a minimum of 2 hours from the North side of Anchorage. Some of us will have to be on the road before 5 am. I plan on going out there late Friday to camp for the night. Others can do as they please. We will not wait for anyone. There is likely to be far too many people to be able to do that, and late arrivals can catch up as they can.

We will float a good piece of this section on Saturday afternoon, and camp for the night on a gravel bar. If anyone is interested in a pot luck stew for dinner, bring something for the pot. I'll bring a large pot & hot stove -- maybe two. Otherwise, everyone is responsible for their own food, equipment and shelter. We will finish the trip the next day, no matter how long it takes, and you can drive back that night. The nice people at King Mt Lodge usually let people camp back there for free. If some want to continue on for another day or two, so be it.

Depending on the water flow, Lion's Head is usually class III or IV. The water will be on the low side, but how low is the question. If you are not experienced, don't run this section. Join the group at the lower Glacier View Bridge. For instructions on how to find this spot, read page 4 of the "ODD Spring Float - Location Poll!" thread.

Finally, some people have expressed a desire to ride, as they either have no boat of their own, or are too new to rafting to comfortably do this float. All I can say to these people is that there will very likely be rafters with empty space on their boats, and they may be willing to take you. All you have to do is show up and ask around. But I can make no promise of this.

Disclaimer: THIS IS A FRIENDS TRIP! Ak Outdoors Directory is not responsible for this trip, your gear, you, your kids, or anyone else who comes. Nor am I, or any one else engaged in the planning or execution of this trip. Do not ride with people you do not trust in whitewater. You are on your own. That said, I'm sure people will endeavor to be as helpful as they can, especially to newer boaters who are polite.

The question I have is how many are coming? If you are planning on coming on this group float, please respond to this post with the number of people and rafts in your party. And please indicate whether or not you plan on running the Lion's Head section.

I hope to see lots of you come. -- Jim Strutz

Default Odd Float Planning

Jim,

Two of us plan to be there with the 12' round raft that we're borrowing. (Sounds like Mike Strahan is not planning to join us due to his mending shoulder.)

We will plan to be at Glacier View Sat. by 10 AM.

We've not been to the King Mountain Wayside and Lodge - but I assume they are OK with leaving take-out vehicles there, correct?

We can bring a Costco pre-cooked chicken, potatoes and carrots for the stew pot. We'll have a 2-burner butane stove, a small pot and fry pan, also.

Looking forward to meeting you and the others. If there is anything we can do to support, call me at my personal cell #419-202-0878 or work 271-3076.

Thanks! Keith Oney (& Terry Landis)

Well, hopefully we'll have more people show up than just the two of us Keith.

I have a 14' SB with 2 people in it so far. Looks like I'll have room for 2 more if needed. I will be out there on Friday night, probably camping near the Glacier View put in.

Looking at the river gauge and weather prediction, we will have very low water. Probably too low for running Lion's Head; at least in rafts. We'll have to make a call on the white water section, yea or nae, Thursday, but right now it looks like a no-go. If this stands, the put in will be at the lower Glacier View Bridge; mile 101 of the Glenn.

Anyone else coming?

Default I'll be there

Sorry for not posting this thread for a while, I've been out of town and busy. I'm bringing an old 12 foot bucket boat, two aire tomcat IK's, and a wavesport Y hardshell. I'm not exactly sure what gear is going to be used, but I'll bring it all. I want to do lions head in my hardshell, but might puss out if it's bad weather, I have a dry suit, but I want to be able to warm up if I happen to lose my boat or take a long swim. I'll have two kids, and two other adults so there will be five of us in all. Maybe we can run the duckies down lionshead if the water is too low for rafts? I hope more people show up, but it's hard to say what will happen since no one kept the hype going like last year, either way it looks like we have a decent group and it will be fun. I'll bring a big cosco bag of vegatable medley for the stew (if this is ok with everyone) and other stuff as well.

Chris

Default I'm bummed

Any other weekend but this one I could have made it. I've got a double whammy, my daughter's birthday and my anniversary. I was really looking forward to meeting everyone and learning a few things from the "experts" on this trip. If you don't have much of a turn-out, I'll be even more bummed, as I was out-voted on the dates.

Anyway, have a good trip guys. Hopefully a few of the folks who voted for this weekend will show-up.

besides lions head, is the rest of that float suitable in a 10 foot outcast?

Default 10 foot outcast

I would say yes.

I agree, a 10' Outcast should be fine. And at this water level it might be a better choice in the Lion's Head section than the 14' raft I'm bringing.

This is an easy float. Not really any more difficult than the Kenai River, except that it is smaller and shallower, so you have to pay closer attention to where the channel is going.

I was at Caribou Creek today and the water looks pretty low to me.

Yeah, the gauge at Glacier View has been hovering right around 2'. Caribou Creek would naturally be low, and I doubt we could get rafts down Lion's Head. WW Canoes & Kayaks are about it, I think. I'm not going to bother with Lion's Head at all.

The river from Glacier View on down will have plenty of water to do a nice easy float. Not going to be any white water though.

thanks for the info guys. As of now i'll be headed to whittier for the weekend, but if plans change I have my raft and gear ready to possibly meet you guys there for the float. But no promises

Default Jim

I'm bringing two IK's and my hardshell, we could still do lionshead..

Default Shuttle

I'm only bringing one vehicle, but it's a suburban, and we can use it for a shuttle vehicle. We will leave it at the bottom and we can go up and get all of the other cars with it, or we can leave the other cars at the bottom and bring all the drivers back up with it. I will need a ride back up at the end though. I'm sure we can figure it all out at the put in, and I'll also stop and visit Jim at his campsite.

Chris

Change of plans. Since I won't be doing the Lion's Head section, I will be driving up on Saturday morning. I should be at The Glacier View Bridge about 9 am. I can certainly shuttle you to Caribou Creek then. But soon after we will have to do the shuttle to the take out. Shouldn't be a problem to do that while you are kayaking the rapids.

Great time was had by all. Of course "all" in this case means nine of us. So where were the rest of you? The Matanuska (below Lion's Head) really is a great early run, and is suitable for near beginners.

Hope to post pictures soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Great time was had by all. Of course "all" in this case means nine of us. So where were the rest of you? The Matanuska (below Lion's Head) really is a great early run, and is suitable for near beginners.

Hope to post pictures soon.
    I think overnight float probally stopped several people that would have come on a day float.

Default Good Times

Thanks to Jim and Mike Strahan this year for the planning and boat assistance. We had a good time, and I think the kids will remember it for some time to come. Stories are allready being told about swimming dogs, and being pinned on rocks. I'll get some pics when I get back from bethel.

Chris Stout

Slow, this could easily have been a day trip. As it was, we nearly finished it Saturday, but stopped early so we could camp for the night.

Default Great Trip! Here are pics...

Sorry for the delay, but here are two of the pictures I took. It was a great weekend float with great company. Thanks to Jim and Chris for planning and coordinating and very special thanks to Mike Strahan for making it happen for us!
    Attached Images Attached Images