Thread: What lures for halibut and rockfish last week of May?

Default What lures for halibut and rockfish last week of May?

We are coming up from North Carolina to fish out of Valdez the last week of May.

My friend from Fairbanks has a 28 foot boat with all the electronic gear but is not much of a fisherman. He tells me that he has 2 salmon rods and 2 bottomfish rods but never catches much of anything. Last weekend he went west out of Valdez towards the glacier. He told me that there were all kinds of fish in 40 feet of water but nothing would bite.

I was wondering what techniques and lures you might recommend for halibut and rockfish at that time of the year?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

try a 3 or 4 oz crippled herring in green. or a point wilson dart in the same size. hes probably picking up small rockfish and those lures should get them. krocodiles work well too.

Default Kodiak Custom Jigs!!!

Don't pass these up... Great lures for all sizes of Butt's and bottomfish!!!!
    http://www.kodiakcustom.com/site/3483/Home.aspx

grubs...... grubs ak riverrat has some awesome jigs too.....
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

I have had nothing but good luck with a solvkroken, usually 14 or 17.5 ounces. they are kind of hard to find though, and can be quite spendy, but they are worth it! I jig those babies as hard and as fast as I can, with periods where I just lightly tap the bottom. Yelloweye seem to not be able to stand it constantly tapping the bottom, and will hit them pretty hard.

Default Wrong fish

What he is seeing is not rock fish or halibut. You might be better trying something for kings or jigging for herring.

I have seen them too on probaly every one of my 12 -15 times out this year.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Those P-Line Squid jigs work great. I get the ones for Ling cod. A little bigger then the ones for Rock fish, but never had a problem not catching Rock fish with the bigger squid jigs.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

For the salmon rods, I'd agree with 3-4 oz crippled herring, point wilson dart etc type jigs. I like silver/green, silver/blue, all white, pink/white, green/white and blue/white. Diamond jigs and buzz bombs also work well.

For halibut, the same style of jigs in 8-16 oz (heavier if the tide is ripping) as well as lead heads with white or green grub tails work well. They are also very good on ling cod, but you'll have to toss them back until July 1.

There are probably more jigs that will work than those that won't. I've been using some of the Japanese style jigs and find they also work quite well.

All those fish are agressive feeders so they are easy to catch, it's a matter of finding them.

Exclamation

If you're travelling all that way and want to catch a Salmon why not hire a guide to show the you guys how to find/catch Salmon?

Shouldn't be any more than a couple hundred a day since you'll supply everything.

Bottomfish are dead easy lower something in the zone and jig away but not too fast they don't like to travel too far or something will eat them.