Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Down

Default Bear Down

I shot a black bear yesterday off the Seward highway road system. I was on the way back to Anchorage when I saw several cars pulled over watching a black bear feeding on a mountian side. I stopped and glassed it. It looked like a small bear and with all the people watching it I was happy to let it go. I pulled out my spotting scope and sure enough the thing's front left leg was gone just bellow the elbow. So people disperse, I climb up and put the guy out of his missery. It felt more like an exicution than anything. Not quite how I envissioned my first black bear, but it had to be done. It was last year's boar. I can't believe how little meat there is on them. I know one thing I won't ever intentionally shoot a young bear like that. I learned a lot about skinning and fleshing though so I'll chalk it up to a good learning experience. Now to start working on salmon for the freezer!

Brett

How do you think the front foot was injured? A car accident?

Congrats! on your 1st bear and I love the pictures. You going to get hunters sticks made out of him? Thats what we did last year and it was fantastic.

Default You made the right call!

That's true wildlife management in action. A hunter doing the right thing; yet sacrificing an opportunity to get a better bear.

I think its a great first. Congrads! He's a trophy just because of the responsible decision you made. I'd wall that hide next to any other.

AKFlyster,

? It looks like it was healing decently well. It didn't happen in the last several weeks I know that from as much as it has healed. I would guess possibly last fall? Car seems improbable because nothing else looked damaged. My guess would be it was shot and the foot rotted off. But if it was shot then the bear was out of its den this spring for quite a while to heal that much. Couldn't have been shot last year as a cub right? The only other options I can think of are a foot hold trap or a snare.

Daniel in Ak,

I'm not familiar with hunter's sticks?

Retired2017,

Thanks.

It was possibly chewed off by a boar last fall before denning. As improbable as it sounds a cub's most likely source of injury is a boar of its own species. Maybe got the foot mangled before mama ran the boar off?

This guy should have been in the den long before any traps were out.

Default 3 leg

Great bear! Hope he eats well. There is a brown bear in Kasilof that is missing his front right leg from the joint down. My guess would be a snare got him. He was seen near Tustamena Lake last fall so he has made it through the winter. He can still move pretty quick. He looks like a 3 or 4 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post

Daniel in Ak,

I'm not familiar with hunter's sticks?

Its just like your slim jims. When I take the meat in to the processors he has a list of items etc...and its just called hunters sticks.

Thumbs up

Good deal. Looks like east of Jerome Lake. That is a real good spot for Black Bears. Congrats.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Yeah I agree with the above sentiment. My first bou was a mercy kill as well. Someone had gut shot it and probably figured that they "missed". I have never regretted taking that small cow even though there were some nice bulls in the area. Congrats on a great first bear!

Thanks guys. It was across from Jerome Lake.

Brett

Default Nice work Brett!

Bring it down to the shop and will give you a good discount for doing the right thing.

Too late. I dropped it off this afternoon. Thank you though. I believe we met at Barney's. I'm working there part time. Thank you anyway for the offer.

Brett

Nice Bear! Thats the kind of bear I have been looking for. Not to big, as I really just want the meat. I really want to have some more pepperoni sticks made again (I had some made from moose last fall). Seems like the perfect size animal to take to the butcher. You said there wasnt alot of meat on him, about how much do you estimate? Congrats on the bear. Thats a fairly steep hill too!

Default nice!

very cool. Nothing wrong with shooting a smaller bear...they cannot all be 7'. I am a terrible judge of bears but have enjoyed shooting and hunting everyone I have been lucky enough to take. Congrats and be proud...I know many guys that have not killed bears after several years of hunting them.
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

As one who is seeking his first black bear (and first bear of any type) I would be happy and proud to have a bear of that caliber. I think you have a great story behind the taking of your bear, some great photos, and I'm sure even though it's missing a leg it'll taste just as good as all the others and look just as good on the wall! Congrats!!

Better now than later. I'm sure the limb loss slowed him down and changed his eating habits, he may not have made it through next winter anyways.

Congrats.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Default Excellent choice!

I just wanted to say that I agree with the above sentiments that you did the right thing. I feel there is a lot of character in your decision. The numbers on the score sheets are not necessarily make a trophy, and what you've got there is a trophy! Congrats on your first bear!

Thanks for the kind responses all. It was a wonderful experience and I was glad to help the bear out so to speak. I learned a lot and will be more prepared and knowledgable for my next bear hunt.

I'm not sure how much meat, but not much. The back strapps are miniscule to say the least. I was shocked at how small there were! The quarters where so-so but the smaller they are the less muscle mass there is so not much there either. I'll be lucky if the back straps and quarters come out to 35-40lbs. On the up side his hide was perfect. No rubs and a full winter coat! I appreciate the bear for sure I just don't think I'll ever shoot one that small again. Not much meat. Thanks again all.

Brett

Default July 1st

Not far off and go nail another one, a pig this time! I am hoping to get two bears in unit 7. Even in early July I believe the meat will be fine. More after the meat than hide. Congrats man. Looks like it will make a fine rug, pretty good job on skinning it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast