Thread: 7mm-08 ?

Question 7mm-08 ?

I have never owned a 7mm anything and I am thinking about getting one of those stainles/synthetic Rem. Mod. 7's in 7mm-08. It will be for one of the grandkids and I was leaning towards a 140 grain Nosler Partition or Barnes X bullet. Anyone using this?

I bought a model 700 youth for my son, he's shooting 140 grain barnes tsx's it shoots real well, but havent hunted with it yet.
    Paul

Alaska_Lanche has a model 7 in .308 he has been shooting since he was about 15. Sweet little gun!! He may chime in and post a pic for ya or somthin'...

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I have never owned a 7mm anything and I am thinking about getting one of those stainles/synthetic Rem. Mod. 7's in 7mm-08. It will be for one of the grandkids and I was leaning towards a 140 grain Nosler Partition or Barnes X bullet. Anyone using this?
    Ive also been looking for a stainles/synthetic Rem. Mod 7 but maybe .308. Have you seen any around town? I have a model 7 wood blued in 7mm-08. I was thinking of getting the ss model for my sons first bg rifle. I have 2009 Remington catalog and the only model 7 listed is the CDL and it is wood blued. I also checked online and same thing. Is it discontinued?

Quote Originally Posted by Bearclaw67 View Post
    I bought a model 700 youth for my son, he's shooting 140 grain barnes tsx's it shoots real well, but havent hunted with it yet.
    Same thing here. I cant find a current 700 youth. there is the SPS buckmasters youngbucks edition, but only in .243.

North river I got mine off gunbroker.com 450.00 brand new. They're out there, but I could'nt find one locally either so I went outside.
    Paul

Default 7s

bought my daughter one a couple years ago. i killed a big bull moose with it, very good caliber and the model 7 is hard to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I shoot nothing but the 140 gr Barnes triple shocks through my 280 rem and I have nothing but great things to say about them. In the past few years they are responsible for one shot kills on 5 black bear, 1 moose, deer and wild hogs and I can get 3 touching holes at 100. I Love em

Doug

I now have two youth guns in 7mm-08 - one for my wife, and one for my nephews, niece, and my own kids someday. My wife's is a Model 7 Youth, which they have since discontinued, and my nephew's is a Model 700 Youth which I just got at Boondock Sporting Goods in Eagle River for less than $500. They are incredibly accurate rifles with very little recoil. The youth model comes with a substantial recoil pad, and it really is a managable round for the little ones. My 9 year old nephew put 10 rounds through his the other day and didn't feel much at all.

If you'd like to check one out, I'd be happy to meet you at the range sometime. I'm a BIG fan of this gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'm a BIG fan of this gun!
    I am a big fan as well. Partly because its the first center-fire aside from an SKS I shot. My dad bought it for me when I was 13. The model 7 is perfect for smaller framed hunters even at 5'9 it fits me nicely. Mine is in .308, but I have a feeling if 7-08 had more popular 13 years ago when my dad bought it for me it would have been in a 7-08 rather than a .308. Both great calibers in a sweet little package can't really go wrong with either one.

I got my daughter a 7mm-08 and she does very well with it. Took a caribou at 218 yards with no problem. 140 grain seems to be the bullet for this 7mm. Great caliber.

Default great caliber

7mm/08 is a great caliber. Plenty of knock down for sheep, caribou, black bear with the 140 with a light recoil for the smaller shooter. If I were hunting moose and I reloaded, I think I would up my bullet to a 150 - 160 grain but a good shot with the 140 will do the trick. You could even go up to 175 grains, but I don't know how well it would perform at lower velocities.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Default Great Caliber

Lil 7'S 131.jpg

Lil 7'S 133.jpg

I think the 7mm-08 is a very excellent cartridge. Mine is the top one, Rem Model 700 Buckmasters, had the barrel cut to 22" and removed the Buckmasters logo from the floor plate. It wears a Leupold Vari-x II, 2-7x33. The bottom is my wifes model Seven, stainless synthetic. It has a 2.5x Leupold scout scope in gun metal grey. We both shoot 162 gr. Hornady BTSP at around 2500 fps. No recoil and great penetration. I like my Lil' 7.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Unbridled Beast

For the loot,a Faux Ti is more for less,as compared to the Seven.

Remmie throats far more favorably in 7-08,than they do 308,which is yet another inherent advantage.

Win/win.

Default 7mm-08

Great round in a lightweight rifle. Mine is in a Rem TI which I did have turned into the Ackley version. I don't think I would go to the trouble to do that again as the standard will kill the same! Easy to shoot and easy to carry, can't go wrong IMO.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default great gun

I bought one of the model 7's in the youth rifle for my wife and i have even taken it for caribou when I may get a chance at a sheep because it is much lighter then my A-Bolt when trudging up the mountain. My wife is about 5'3" and 120 and she can handle it very well and has no problem shooting up a box of ammo at the range. It shoots very nice and is very accurate.