Thread: 185 gr barnes loads for 340 weatherby

Default 185 gr barnes loads for 340 weatherby

Hello, looking for anyone who has had experience shooting & loading the 185 tsx in 340 weatherby planning a sheep / moose combo hunt thank you

Thumbs up what are you....

What are you using now. That .340 can shoot a 250 grain bullet flat enough for any Alaskan sheep hunt. If your already using a 225 grain load you like just use it. Most of the hard core sheep hunters I have known shot their first shot at the sheep under 300 yards. All that being said, I am sure a 185 grain Barnes X from a .340 will kill anything up here very quick, if put in the right spot.

Seems to me that you are kind of defeating the purpose of shooting a 340 Wby by using 185 gr. bullets - but that's just my personal common sense kickin' in. Yea, 'spose a 185 grainer would work but there are prob better choices. Just a thought - one of the most common scenario's by which griz are shot in Alaska is over a moose gut pile. I VERY FREQUENTLY bump into bears while sheep hunting. Good luck on your hunt.

I am currently shooting 250 gr nosler partitions, I thought maybe by going with 185 gr i could flatten the trajectory? never been sheep hunting just heard stories of 400+ yard shooting. I used 250 grainer on a kodiak brown bear a couple of years ago did an awesome job. what do you think?

Might want to consider a bullet that your rifle well in the 200 to 210 gr range.

Default 338

A 185 grain bullet in a 338 caliber bullet defeats the medium-bore rifles parameters (high velocity-with stopping power); It basically reduces the 338 to a 300 WM class rifle.
    While the use of a more aerodynamic projectile could certainly improve downrange velocity/energy. The rifle must first like it's new type of projectiles and shoot them WELL, to insert them in the proper location on the target.
    There are many projectiles which might flatten your trajectory here are some; Barnes TTSX 225 grn, Barnes MRX 225grn, Nosler AccuBond 225 grn, Swift Sirocco 2 210 grn. These bullets are in the middle of your rifles weight range and retain a good SD for improved penetration on larger animals.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default 185 Barnes

The biggest problem I have had on smaller animals with the .340 and 185 Barnes is the size exit hole and meat damage. Will kill like lightening, but lots of excess hide and meat damage. I will look for pic to post of a 250# mule deer with a 5" exit hole that totally ruined the cape for mounting.