Thread: Brand new digital SLR...

Default Brand new digital SLR...

So I am leaving tomorrow for my three month stay in Alaska and since my birthday is in July also, I received my birthday present early...a brand new digital Canon EOS Rebel XS with an 18-55mm and a 120-200mm lens. This is my first venture into the realm of SLR's and away from the automatic point-and-shoot. I really hope to take some great pictures while I'm there and just having this camera is a step in the right direction, but does anyone have any advice on good rules of thumb when playing with manual settings? I'm really looking forward to learning the ins and outs of quality photography. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Twist View Post
    does anyone have any advice on good rules of thumb when playing with manual settings?
    That is a huge topic, which even in its simplest form is too much for a discussion forum like this one!

Basically you'll need to know about the relationships between aperture, shutter speed, ISO and Depth of Field. Then the camera's tools need to be well understood too; things like different modes but also the light metering system, exposure compensation, and the histogram plus whatever sort of highlight display your camera has.

I have not seen or read this book, but in other forums the most commonly recommended source for learning all of this is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

Ahead of you is a wonderful experience as you climb up that "learning curve". The artist in you will be frustrated at all the technical detail, but will love the added capability the knowledge provides. The techie in you will be buried in ecstasy. And it appears that no matter the mix of the two nor the ease that it comes with, people enjoy it for decades! Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
    I have not seen or read this book, but in other forums the most commonly recommended source for learning all of this is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.
    It's a good book. Got mine at that "Tide"(something) book store next to REI in Anchortown.

But, I'd suggest a third party users manual for your camera. Something with more pictures, tips, and explanations that the factory manual.

Thanks guys... On the plane ride to Alaska I read through the owners manual and a few shooting guides that came with the camera and then just played around with the camera shooting a bunch of pictures. I think I've gotten down the overall idea of it all and have found out that there are tons of different options and angles for any one photo. I love the camera though and I am thoroughly impressed with the quality of the photos it turns out.