Thread: long term tourist seeking options on AK

Default long term tourist seeking options on AK

Hello I'm a Coastie looking to possibly move to your interesting state. As with any of my many moves i'm starting to do some long range research. I'm from western PA and i have lived in ME, Northern MI and HI. I love to hunt waterfowl and upland birds, hunt deer sized game, shoot, hike, snowmobile, 4-wheel and other outdoor activities. But I'm married and i really need my wife to get a job, she is a pharm tech and has other medical experience. We are also ready to buy our first house so that is also a factor.
    My unofficial options are:
    Auke Bay/ Juneau
    Petersburg
    Sitka
    Kodiak
    Ketchikan
    Valdez

what would be your choices? Pretty much wife getting a job VS public hunting access/game numbers.

Thanks in advance from a long time lurker.
    Greg

On that list Juneau is the largest town with a regional hospital. All the others are small towns and my not have much for your wife's career.

Why is Cordova not on your list?

If you want deer and ducks then your list is shortend to Juneau and Kodiak. if you are more into ducks you need to add Cordova to your list. You can boat to the deer on Hawkins Island or some other islands nearby.

Thanks for the reply. The Cordova job is not open next year for me. I heard it is small on people but big on ducks. I'm thinking that Juneau would be a good AK starter location for the wife. Thanks for the second opinion and if you have any other tips I'm all ears.
    Greg

Juneau is probably going to be your best bet on what you've posted...

Default Kodiak

I would personally go with Kodiak for the outdoors and getting a pharmacy tech job is probably not to hard there. You have safeway and other private companies that will pay better than the hospitals anyway. The hunting and fishing is better there than most you listed and you dont have to worry about an avalanch taking out the town ( Juneau ) LOL
    One shot one kill

Look at Nome. Lived there for a year. Great area for someone with your interest. Remote, sure, but the rewards are high. Nice hospital there and a new one is in the works. Starting the project this summer if I am not mistaken.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Another vote for Kodiak.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/