Thread: First time in Alaska and need some help

Default First time in Alaska and need some help

Hello all I have quite a few questions that I hope you can help with me. I am a student and next year I will be doing a rotation at the hospital in Bethel. My friend and I will be there at the same time and we are both avid fishermen. We will be in Bethel May 1, 07 to June 1, 07, and hope to spend most of our free time fishing. We are both from the southeast and have never been to Alaska. Here are my questions, what type of fish can we expect at that time of year? We plan on bringing as much of our own gear as we can so what type of tackle do we need? I grew up bass fishing so most of my gear is 6.5 to 7 ft med or med/heavy action rods with 17 lbs mono. Most importantly what types of bait or lures should we use? What will the weather be like? Any good places to fish or visit within half a days hike of Bethel? If there will be anyone who will be in the area that time of year and wouldn’t mind taking two southern boys out and showing us around or just fishing with us, we would appreciate the hospitality and company. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Here's the link to the Bethal web site. http://www.cityofbethel.org/ It might give you some of the information you seek. You get there by plane or boat. Its on the Koskokwin River and there should be salmon there. i can't help other wise, I've never been out there. Cosider bringing, or buying here, head nets, I understand the bugs can be bad out there.