Thread: Oil and lube

Default Oil and lube

When I was a kid I can remember my dad cleaning every gun he owned with WD-40 and never had any complaints or problems. As I got a little older and not the wiser I told him that I heard WD-40 was terrible on firearms and switched to Remoil. Even though his shotguns are some of the nicest looking guns I have seen shiny with WD-40. So I am still using Remoil for the most part but wondering in this land of extremes what everyone else uses. Pros and Cons ?

Mike

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

had used it for years and still use in a pinch... and get in trouble by EVERY gun smith for it too... gary at arctic is one who nails me down ...for sure.

when its what you have and need a lube... i go for it. but all the smiths tell me its bad.????????????????????????????
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have used it for years and swear by it. I duck hunt a lot and my guns always get wet and dirty. I always strip them down and spray them with WD-40 after each use. It helps prevent rust and keeps the actions smooth.

Haven't really used WD-40. My personal favorite is G96 synthetic oil. I strip them down when I get them and use it on everything to include the firing pin and haven't had an issue. It's supposed to be effective from -90 to well over a cooked human. I don't know for sure about how well it works at those exact extremes but it has never let me down. Now all I have to do is order some more as it's not carried by anyone in town any more.

WD-40 is an exhalant water displacer (that is what WD stands for) but itís an offal lubricant!! I will use it on a wet gun to displace water but then lube with a good gun or machine oil afterward.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I've found that WD-40 is an excellent product to use as an emergency flush when a 1911 or other tight pistol starts getting gooped up and malfunctioning from firing residue during training.
    Since I've been using Glocks I no longer have any use for it.

It is the best starting fluid for diesels I've ever seen.
    Now what ?

Default sci

last day at the sci show this year a guy came over to the booth i was at and gave me a can of some gun lube (safari charlie its called) I have since used it on chainsaws, guns. works great and wont freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by moses42ak View Post
    Haven't really used WD-40. My personal favorite is G96 synthetic oil. I strip them down when I get them and use it on everything to include the firing pin and haven't had an issue. It's supposed to be effective from -90 to well over a cooked human. I don't know for sure about how well it works at those exact extremes but it has never let me down. Now all I have to do is order some more as it's not carried by anyone in town any more.

I agree. I've used G96 for years and years...great stuff...like it better than anything else. A little hard to find, but Mt View Sporting Goods had a few the last time I was looking for some.

Marshall/Ak

WD40 leaves a lot of gummy residue behind. I have had good luck for years with Break free.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I agree with Daveintheburbs.

Rather than cleaning the goop outta your gun, it seems to put it in.

I've stopped using it.

Maybe I should be, but I'm not particular which OIL I use. Most any kind of Gun Oil works for me.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Many will work

I've had good luck with Rem Oil, Hoppes gun oil, and 3-in-1 oil, the old stand by my father and granddad always used.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Smile Oil for the gun

I used rem oil for years and just recently switched to corrosion x. Stuff is awsome. Its unbeatable when it comes to saltwater or cleaning of residue.

The main ingredient of WD40 is fish oil and it has dozens of uses not just lube and rust prevention.I've used it for years but use Break free for gun storage with no problems.