Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puma 92 454 Casull Range Report

Default Puma 92 454 Casull Range Report

Man, I really like this 454 Casull Puma. This thing shoots anything I run through it like no tomorrow. Just shooting at 25-30yds to get it dialed in. 2 weeks ago I shot a 2 inch 10 shot group with the following loads:
    335gr CP WFNGC 23gr H110

335gr 26gr H110
    forgot to turn on the chrony for the first 2 shots- duh...

Today I bumped it up and it shot like a dream:

335gr CP WFNGC 27gr H110
    ~~~~~
    Avg 1837

335gr CP WFNGC 28gr H110
    Avg1946

I put the first two in, had a flyer to the right, let my buddy shoot it and he shot the flyer to the left, I then put the 3rd one in. This looks like it otta be a great moose huntin round.

Last edited by Snyd; 01-10-2011 at 11:06.

We also shot these. All of these rounds including the above were at 25-30 yds and I never touched the sights!

454 Casull brass, 255gr RNFP with 10.5 gr Unique, CCI 400 primer:

45 Colt 255gr Keith style with 8.5gr Unique, CCI 300 primer:

Now it'll be time to jet get out and shoot and see how she (and I, mostly I) do at 50 and 100yds+

This is one great little rifle. Did I say I LIKE this gun?!?
    Last edited by Snyd; 01-10-2011 at 11:38.

They do make some quality guns in Italy anymore. Itís getting so they are doing more and better cowboy guns than we do in the States.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    They do make some quality guns in Italy anymore. Itís getting so they are doing more and better cowboy guns than we do in the States.
    Since they moved production to Italy they don't make the 454 Casull or the 480 anymore. They aren't in the 09 catalog I think 2008 was still in Brazil. They do show a 45 Colt in their 09 catalog though but no stainless guns. Mine was made in 2007 in Brazil. It's definitely a keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Since they moved production to Italy they don't make the 454 Casull or the 480 anymore. They aren't in the 09 catalog I think 2008 was still in Brazil. They do show a 45 Colt in their 09 catalog though but no stainless guns. Mine was made in 2007 in Brazil. It's definitely a keeper.
    Well thatís not good, the 454 was one of the best lever guns ever. I guess I will hope they are working on a 460S&W version for 2010.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Love it - me too

Thanks for the report Synd.

I love my little cat too. It rides soooo nice on the rack of my 4 wheeler without sticking out either side.

Handles like a dream...but then you already knew that.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Greybear View Post
    Thanks for the report Synd.

I love my little cat too. It rides soooo nice on the rack of my 4 wheeler without sticking out either side.

Handles like a dream...but then you already knew that.
    Yup, and it's all your fault Thanks for telling me about the "little cat that roars" I think this may end up being my favorite gun. It's just so versatile and so much fun. Light, handy, accurate, versatile, and it holds 10 335gr hot 454 Casull loads in the tube and one in the hole That's a lotta lead. It actually balances it out rather nicely with a full tube. And they feed like butter.

Default 454 Puma

Snyd, is yours a stainless and how long is the barrel? I too looked at their catalog but no 454. I did find some new blued ones with 20" barrel but really would like SS. I have a Ruger in 454 and would be nice to carry both. Keep up the work on your loads.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    Snyd, is yours a stainless and how long is the barrel? I too looked at their catalog but no 454. I did find some new blued ones with 20" barrel but really would like SS. I have a Ruger in 454 and would be nice to carry both. Keep up the work on your loads.

Mark
    Ya, 20 inch stainless with the Hi-Viz sights. I guess they used a different metallurgy and hardening process to handle the 454 pressures and the guns were tested by H.P. White Laboratory. Buds Gunshop.com may have one left, or keep an eye peeled on GunBroker. The stock fit is VERY good. Actually better than a new Marlin 45 Colt I checked out here in town. The recoil pad could be fitted a little better but it works.

Last edited by Snyd; 01-10-2011 at 11:40.

SNYD:

Here's a good read on your new toy. www.gunblast.com/Paco_Legacy_454.htm

Smile 454

Ya, 20 inch stainless with the Hi-Viz sights. I guess they used a different metallurgy and hardening process to handle the 454 pressures and the guns were tested by H.P. White Laboratory. Buds Gunshop.com may have one left, or keep an eye peeled on GunBroker. The stock fit is VERY good. Actually better than a new Marlin 45 Colt I checked out here in town. The recoil pad could be fitted a little better but it works.

Thanks Snyd, these pictures are great. My revolver is the target grey and need this stainless rifle for a buddy. Now on a hunt for another gun. Seems the longer I look at this forum the more guns I have on my "to buy" list. Thanks, Mark

I just spent a while gandering at gunbroker.com. There is but one of the SS 454's listed. I think the buy now price was $619. Someone better git her for she's gone! The amazing thing is that Sportsmans Saffari has some of the 45 lc's listed for in the $500+ range and then they have some that appear to be the same gun listed in the $8-$900 range. Go figure the same gun fetches $300 more coming from Italy than from Brazil. It made me so nervous that I did the buy now thing on a new stainless 92 in 45lc. I got it for $539 and they eat the shipping (to the lower 48...that'd be me). I looked long and hard at the 454 but here in the midwest critters that bite back are few and far between.

Paco Kelly eludes to something that I tend to agree with and that being that he is in doubt about the 454 & 480 being made of a different tempered steel than the rest. It really doesn't make sense and would be more evident in price. I can't find where Legacy makes that claim.

The only draw back that I can find on the Puma 92 is the goofey safety sitting up on top where ya gots to gaulk at it every time you aim the gun. I might just have to put that little toggle switch in the junk drawer. The hammer alone was good enough for years and in my book it still is!

This is the second gun in a short while that I have bought as a result of being antagonized by someone on this here forum.....uh thanks I think?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I just spent a while gandering at gunbroker.com. There is but one of the SS 454's listed. I think the buy now price was $619. Someone better git her for she's gone! The amazing thing is that Sportsmans Saffari has some of the 45 lc's listed for in the $500+ range and then they have some that appear to be the same gun listed in the $8-$900 range. Go figure the same gun fetches $300 more coming from Italy than from Brazil. It made me so nervous that I did the buy now thing on a new stainless 92 in 45lc. I got it for $539 and they eat the shipping (to the lower 48...that'd be me). I looked long and hard at the 454 but here in the midwest critters that bite back are few and far between.

Paco Kelly eludes to something that I tend to agree with and that being that he is in doubt about the 454 & 480 being made of a different tempered steel than the rest. It really doesn't make sense and would be more evident in price. I can't find where Legacy makes that claim.

The only draw back that I can find on the Puma 92 is the goofey safety sitting up on top where ya gots to gaulk at it every time you aim the gun. I might just have to put that little toggle switch in the junk drawer. The hammer alone was good enough for years and in my book it still is!

This is the second gun in a short while that I have bought as a result of being antagonized by someone on this here forum.....uh thanks I think?
    Congrats! Snyd has a link to a plug to replace the switch for you.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post

Right on! I'm sure you'll like it. I was actually shopping for a 45 Colt levergun as a companion to my new 45 Colt 4 inch Redhawk and wanted stainless. I found that Marlin made one a few years back. I posted in the swap and sell looking for one. I got a pm from a member here who told me about the 454/45 Colt Puma. I figured "what the heck" and bought the 454 instead of the 45Colt, plus it has the recoil pad. I also got lucky and found one locally with the hi-viz sites which is what I wanted. Check out www.stevesgunz.com he is the Puma guru. I have an email from him with all kinds of info. Just email him. He sells replacement plugs for the "lawyer switch" safety, springs, a video on how to slick up the action, sites, etc. Oh, and he makes stainless followers for the mag tube spring that replace the plastic one. About 80 bucks will get a guy the dvd, stainless follower, safety hole plug, ejector spring and something ese I think. Check him out.

My next step is to work up some more full power 45 Colt loads, shoot/chrony them in the 45 Colt 4" Redhawk and then shoot/chrony them in the 454 Puma and see how much velocity i pick up. At this point the 45 Colt plinker rounds pick up about 200fps in the 20 inch Puma.

Wanted to let yall know.....the 454 rifles are still being made but now they are under the "Rossi" name due to being bought out by Taurus. They list the 454 in their 09 catalog that you can download from the Taurus website......no 480 however.

Quote Originally Posted by onetimer View Post
    Wanted to let yall know.....the 454 rifles are still being made but now they are under the "Rossi" name due to being bought out by Taurus. They list the 454 in their 09 catalog that you can download from the Taurus website......no 480 however.
    Cool, no wonder they aren't in the Legacy Arms catalog for 09. They were in the 08 catalog. So, it looks like since Taurus owns them they are back to the Rossi name instead of the Puma and Legacy Arms has the Puma.

I shoot 29gr of 296 behind a 355 gr hardcast bullet in my 454 Casull handgun and get about 1500 FPS on average. It won't fit in my Puma rifle though, so I too use the 335 gr bullet. You can go up another grain or two with the H110 I think and probably get over 2000 FPS, but I doubt you'd really need anymore than what you are getting with 28 grains. Higher velocity does not always produce greater penetration, especially if the bullet deforms or expands significantly.

I posted this in a different thread awhile back... "I have determined that with CP WLN 335 or 360 gr boolits the Puma wants the OAL to be 1.750-1.755. It cycles em like butter with that big metplate, slow or fast. But, In order for the case mouth to line up with the crimp groove I have to trim the case to 1.365."

Anyway, that's what I've been doing. Size the new Starline brass, trim it to 1.365, crimp in the groove and the 335 and 360 Cast Performance WLN bullets feed easy. Next time out I'm going to bump up the powder for the 360's and see what I can get... just because Also, I want to see what the heaviest load is i can come up with that will feed and be accurate. But, if nuthin else, I figure these 335's with 28gr at 1950fps will do the job.
    Last edited by Snyd; 05-31-2009 at 00:10.

Snyd, that is some lever gun. Shooting pistol bullets at them numbers with wide meplats and in heavy weights should very well accomplish want you want in a fast handling lil' thumper. My limited experience with heavy wide meplats at them speeds have proven very effective on both grizz and moose but...in my 457 WWG. In short that lil' lever gun is not given up nothing to any other supposed more killing leverguns....just get in as close as you can the rifle/load combo will do the rest. Pretty cool or just "cool beans".

For now and until money proves to be in favor of another spending spree I'll just stick to my under-powr'd lil' Win 94 .30-30 shooting 180grn FNGC for a favorite little handy carry.

Continue to feel free to "enlighten" us as to what you have gained.

regards,

Snyd,
    I have been looking for a levergun for a while and have been toying with the idea of a 444 marlin or 45-70. I was in Gun Traders before I deployed and picked up a stainless puma 92 with the 16" barrel in 454 and I instantly liked it, but wished it had a little more barrel. Well I just made the E-7 list and my wife keeps asking me what I want for a promotion present; I think i found it. Keep us posted with your load development and Ill keep checking in whenever I have time. Keep up the good work!!!

Now if I can get her to buy some 454 brass, dies, another bullet mold...............

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast