Thread: trails in eureka area

Default trails in eureka area

how far back can you go on a 4 wheeler behind the lodge in the summer

I rode nearly 40 miles back last year in September. All the way up the Little Nelchina to Horsepasture Pass

Default Big-O

Pull out your topo, people hunt beyond the Big Oshetna every year.

Actually a question I've been working on. Anyone ever tried to ride all the way up to the Maclaren River?

Default Big O is the blockage

If you go back through the Yacko Ck. Valley, past Big Bones you hit the Little Oshetna River that flows into the Big O and that's tough to cross due to water depth. I know the big track and big wheel rigs use to do it but I've floated/bobbed in the Little O and one of our group members rolled over in the current. Great country and worth going as far as possible.

I have gone back there for the last 15 years. The Little O can be a terror, along with the Big O. A rider needs to keep an eye on the weather. Have seen the water rise quickly so that you might have to wait to get back across. You can go to Square Lake easily once across. Then down to the Black River. Don't have enough courage to try and cross it. Like eagle said the preferred way is by Yakoo creek. If you go Horse Pasture, you follow the Little O all the way. Going back that way is a lot more difficult than the Yakoo Creek trail.

OK Great thanks for the suggestions guys. I didn't know how big the Big O might be. I was thinking about having a friend fly me up over the planned route just to see how doable it would be. I hadn't even thought about Yacko. I'll give it a look.

Have only been in through Horse Pasture and have done so for years.... Yacko Creek?.... Hmmmmmm. where is the trail head and where does it meet up with Horse Pasture way? We camp 47 miles back just a few miles bfore lil and big O meet and havent noticed another way in other than Fox Creek trail at the bottom of monument which we have done on occasion as well but that meets up well before reaching lil O.