Thread: ?????????????????

Default ?????????????????

hey guys i just moved down to anchorage from fairbanks and i fished all the streams up there i want to hit the stream today can anyone direct me in the right place?
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

weird 29 people viewed my post and not a single one can help me out thats cool, im not asking for key spots i dont even keep fish but that cool i guess i know if im asked on the stream if im catching anything and what im using ill just tell them dont worry about it, oh yea thanx for the help

wow, pretty quick to judge there. You cant expect 20 replies in 2 hours. Besides as far as I know there arent too many streams to go to in anchorage. Ship creek and Campbell is all I know of

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    weird 29 people viewed my post and not a single one can help me out thats cool, im not asking for key spots i dont even keep fish but that cool i guess i know if im asked on the stream if im catching anything and what im using ill just tell them dont worry about it, oh yea thanx for the help
    With that kind of attitude, I'm glad I didn't bother to respond. Sorry everyone didn't jump in right away. Any thought that some of the people who might have information could be out fishing this weekend and not around a computer?

Good luck.

it wasnt directed towards the people that were out fishing i was stating a fact that 29 people looked at my post and no one responded i thought this whole forum thing was a place that you could talk about fishing and help others out, I ended up going to campbell creek and caught 2 fish, and if you are wanting to know what i was using it was a pink with a red dot in the middle egg fly. And also i only get an attitude when in the "land of the fish" no one ever helps anyone out as if there secret lil spot is gonna get takin over, so if any of you ever go to fairbanks P.M. me and i will give you all the spots that you need to catch fish, i rather see someone catch fish in a spot that i showed them than someone getting discouraged because they didnt get a thing. thanks for the rsponse

Justin - I'm guessing that at least a handful of those that viewed your post did so because they were wondering what it was about. With a subject line of ?????????, you can expect folks to click on it without necessarily having good feedback for you, simply because they didn't know what the thread was about when they clicked on it.

good point! i didnt look at it that way i apologize.

Buy the book by Scott Haugen, "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska". It has the state broke up into sections, each section a big chapter. This book has directions and over 100 maps. It does not tell you how to fish. It tells you where to fish. It can be bought on the forum store or Amazon of course. Fantastic book with tons of info.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

thanx i look into it

There is also a ton of visitors and members not of this State. I do know how it can feel, I thought I was the "Thread Killer" for a bit but just had to realize that not every one knows Anchorage. I just moved from Bristol Bay to the Valley and couldn't help if I had looked at your tread.

George

Default today

mouth of willow. low and slow. black or gray. swing it.

it wasnt directed towards the people that were out fishing i was stating a fact that 29 people looked at my post and no one responded i thought this whole forum thing was a place that you could talk about fishing and help others out, I ended up going to campbell creek and caught 2 fish, and if you are wanting to know what i was using it was a pink with a red dot in the middle egg fly. And also i only get an attitude when in the "land of the fish" no one ever helps anyone out as if there secret lil spot is gonna get takin over, so if any of you ever go to fairbanks P.M. me and i will give you all the spots that you need to catch fish, i rather see someone catch fish in a spot that i showed them than someone getting discouraged because they didnt get a thing. thanks for the rsponse
    Justin
    totals for 2008:
    grayling.... 128+2 Unknown species=130
    tagged fish....1
    Grand total 131
    others still to come...........

How are my math skills, fish counter.

Last edited by Tailingloop; 05-10-2009 at 09:49. Reason: Because I CAN

Justin,
    It is a tough time of year for finding streams to fish around Anchorage. Some streams are closed due to spawning trout (most streams on the Kenai Peninsula are closed) but a handful are open. Kasilof River has some steelhead around right now and even a few early kings. The lower Kenai River has produced its first king of the year but the upper half of the river is closed (from outlet of Kenai Lake down to Skilak and the outlet of Skilak Lake down to the Upper Killey).
    I have not fished the Valley streams in 10 plus years as I now live in the Kenai area but when I did fish those streams I found that Willow, Goose, Montana, Greys, and Rabidoux, which are located on the parks Highway, all had pretty good fishing for rainbows, grayling, or both at times. Just check those regs as like I said I am out of the know as far as when they open up.
    Lake fishing is a pretty good option right now. The Kepler-Bradley Lakes which are right next to the highway on the way to Palmer from Anchorage and several lakes around these lakes also produce. These lakes are fishable right now and have some decent trout in them. Clunie Lake is also a good one. Clunie Lake is on Ft. Rich and along with Otter Lake has some of the best rainbow fishing of the base lakes.
    Same basic things that worked up in the Fairbanks area will work here as well. In the streams the difference will be more egg patterns, beads, flesh tpye flies when the salmon are present but other than that it is all good.
    Anyway, good luck as you explore this area.
    Last edited by iceblue; 05-10-2009 at 10:10. Reason: added t

i've spent alot of time dialing in where i fish at any given time of the year. i'll ask for advice sure, but sometimes you just need to go and give it a shot. if its listed in the regs, chances are it holds fish. don't be so quick to judge. i'm sure more than one person who may have had good insight to give you has since moved on past your topic because of your first reply. their are alot of helpful people on here, just give them a chance

I ended up going to campbell creek and caught 2 fish
    ...that had to be more fun than checking to see how many views your post got.

Ship has been slow (at least for me). Campbell and Chester both have fish moving upstream.

With the Kenai pretty much shut down this month, the Parks Hwy streams are your best for getting out of town. iceblue pretty much summed it up. I did pretty good out at Little Campbell catching char earlier last week, but the last trip I made out there it was DEAD.

Compared to the Fairbanks area, I'd say people in Anchorage have a lot more reason to be concerned that their secret lil spot is going to get taken over. 35,000 people versus 360,000 people.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default Wow

It's up to 213 views and now 14 replies. I'd probably try one of the lakes that were suggested.

Cool Slim Pickin's

900fusion, iceblue has the best advise given so far. Streams and rivers locally have slim opportunities to hook fish this time of the year. Your best bet would be to hit the lakes in the Matsu valley. You can have fun exploring the lakes finding where the big rainbows, char, grayling and pike are. Some of the lakes in the valley have fish over 30". Just pick a lake and have fun. Check out www.windbreakalaska.com photo gallery. Tight lines and welcome to the banana belt.

thanks for the help im also if interested finding fishing buddies, i went to upper 6 mile lake yesterday and caught some decent bows, i wanted to fish ship but im still trying to figure out the whole train/reg thing so im not to sure on were i can fish yet.