Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 Colt 4" Redhawk range report

Default 45 Colt 4" Redhawk range report

I've been working up a heavy load for the 4inch 45 Colt Redhawk. 2 weeks ago I shot 335gr and 360gr CP WFNGC's. I shot the 360gr with 19gr H110 at 1050fps for six rounds. About a 6+ inch group, pretty much all over the plate. 18gr is min, 21 is max load. Today I shot loads at 20 and 21gr. I ended up at 1155fps avg for 6 rounds with 21gr H110 and tightened up the group. Probably about the best I can shoot at this point anyway. I shot 5 and then the wind blew the paper plate off the board. I put the 6th one in the midst of the other 5 though as my buddy watched with binos. Anyway I am satisfied with this load. 360gr .452 bullet at 1155fps should put a hole through any brown fuzzy in Interior Alaska at self defense range. This will be the OH S%1T!! round for the 4 inch 45 Colt OH S%1T!! gun. Recoil was not unbearable or unmanageable I didn't think. Extraction was easy, primers look good. Here are the chrony numbers and a pic of the target. I think I'm going to really like this gun. Oh, and it's a joy to shoot with 260gr Keith style boolits with 8.5gr Unique. Avg 944fps. About a 4 inch group.

360gr CP WFNGC, 21gr H110, CCI 350 primer, new Starline brass sized with Lee Dies and trimmed to 1.280. Tight crimp with Lee Factory Crimp Die. I guess I need to buy a 360 LBT mould now

Smile I like it...

If I ever switched from my 4" S&W .44 mag. 629 Mountain Revolver I will get one of those .45 Rugers. Lots of "bang for the buck"! Heck, maybe I should just get one any way, 2 guns are always better then one!

If thats at 25 yards its more than good enough,congrats on the good gun

Default only 250's

I loaded up 50 rnds of 250 Grain Brooks with 19 gr of H110 and 75 rounds of 250 gr Brooks with 21 grains of W296 (do not use these loads as I am recalling from poor memory on the powder quantity)....and I haven't got to shoot any of them yet.

I need to pour some heavier boolitz from the 330gr Brooks mould that I have...and see how it pushes.

The buffalo bore 330 grain at 1375 were no fun to shoot.

How did you get the starline brass? I have had 500 on order for over 4 weeks now.....from midway usa....

I am anxious to pull the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I loaded up 50 rnds of 250 Grain Brooks with 19 gr of H110 and 75 rounds of 250 gr Brooks with 21 grains of W296 (do not use these loads as I am recalling from poor memory on the powder quantity)....and I haven't got to shoot any of them yet.
    Load some of them up with 8.5 gr of Unique with a plain LP primer. Makes for real nice plinkin round. About 950fps. I ordered my casting pot and moulds for a few calibers last week. I'm starting with a Lee 6 cavity 255gr RNFP PB mould to cast up some plinkers. I'm thinking about a LBT 350gr WLNGC. They are having a sale. Looks like the 360gr WFN are sold out. I may have to just go ahead and custom order one. I wonder how the 350gr WLN would compare to the 360gr WFN.

I loaded and shot some 315gr rnfp gc bullets with 22gr H110. They chronied about 1200+ if I remember right. Pretty snappy recoil. I think the 360's felt better.

Hi all,

I'm new to this list (first post here) and I'm also pretty much of a newbie on guns. Oh, I shot quite a few back in my Army tour, but really the minimum required; no combat experience. I've shot a few pistols and owned/shot a 9mm Beretta for a couple of years; ran about 3000 rounds through at the local indoor range.

My question is on the difference between the larger bore handguns, specifically this 45 Colt and a 44 mag. Seems like the rounds you're using in this Ruger are packing a bit more punch than a 45 Colt normally does, but even in its uppermost range, does the Colt 45 cartridge have the same or similar potential as a 44 mag?? What are the primary differences between the two rounds? Of course, I know there are wide swings of variation, and that all in all the mag would be the more powerful of the two, but can a 45 Colt round be made to equal (or surpass) a 44 mag round?? I mean, why not skip through the extra work on the 45 -- if it lacks the power potential of a 44 mag -- and just use a 4" mag for bear protection?? Is it because the 45 offers *more* flexibility in terms of load power that it remains so popular a chambering?

Thanks for your indulgence on such a newbie-type question. Gotta start somewhere!!

MigukAmerica

|||

gotta love the uber cheap 9" paper plate 25yd handgun target!

You are definitely getting some good accuracy out of that thing, I got so frustrated trying to hit w/ my Redhawk that I got the brass "bb" front to replace the ramp and v-notch rear. It made a world of difference. Honestly though I could have hit a bear in the head with either, but I sure wasn't pulling groups even close to yours with the stock set up.

Quote Originally Posted by MigukAmerica View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to this list (first post here) and I'm also pretty much of a newbie on guns. Oh, I shot quite a few back in my Army tour, but really the minimum required; no combat experience. I've shot a few pistols and owned/shot a 9mm Beretta for a couple of years; ran about 3000 rounds through at the local indoor range.

My question is on the difference between the larger bore handguns, specifically this 45 Colt and a 44 mag. Seems like the rounds you're using in this Ruger are packing a bit more punch than a 45 Colt normally does, but even in its uppermost range, does the Colt 45 cartridge have the same or similar potential as a 44 mag?? What are the primary differences between the two rounds? Of course, I know there are wide swings of variation, and that all in all the mag would be the more powerful of the two, but can a 45 Colt round be made to equal (or surpass) a 44 mag round?? I mean, why not skip through the extra work on the 45 -- if it lacks the power potential of a 44 mag -- and just use a 4" mag for bear protection?? Is it because the 45 offers *more* flexibility in terms of load power that it remains so popular a chambering?

Thanks for your indulgence on such a newbie-type question. Gotta start somewhere!!

MigukAmerica

|||
    There are 45 Colt loads and then there are Ruger, TC and Freedom Arms only 45 Colt loads which do surpass the 44 mag. I attached a great article by John Linebaugh who explains it all much better that I can in this thread http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=54252

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    There are 45 Colt loads and then there are Ruger, TC and Freedom Arms only 45 Colt loads which do surpass the 44 mag. I attached a great article by John Linebaugh who explains it all much better that I can in this thread http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=54252

Alright, I'll take a looksee a bit later. Thanks for your reply.

|||

The short answer is the .45 Colt long has more potential than the .44 Mag due to greater case volume. The large numbers of old week guns that can’t take the pressure keep ammo makers from loading the .45 to anywhere near the levels it’s capable of in most modern guns.

The 44 special and 44 Mag are somewhat like the 45Colt long and its next step up in length the 454 Csaull, the 454 Casull being like the Magnum version of the 45 Colt long. The 454 Casull is around twice the power of the 44 Mag. But in 45 Colt long VS 44 Mag comparison the ability of the gun to contain the pressure in the limiting factor and the 45 has every other advantage on its side.

We still have 45s shooting that are well over 100 years old while the 44Mag only came out in 1956. The 44 Mag was designed for greater pressures than the 44 special and this is the only reason the case is made longer, so that a 44 Mag case won’t fit in an old 44 special that won’t take the pressure. Same story with the 454 Casull, it was made longer to keep it from fitting in a 45 Colt chambered gun that can’t take the 65,000cup pressure the 454 is rated for.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

MigukAmerica...ck this site out for some answers concering the .45 Colt...
    http://www.customsixguns.com/writing...g_the_myth.htm

OOp's looks like this is a repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    The short answer is the .45 Colt long has more potential than the .44 Mag due to greater case volume. The large numbers of old week guns that canít take the pressure keep ammo makers from loading the .45 to anywhere near the levels itís capable of in most modern guns.

The 44 special and 44 Mag are somewhat like the 45Colt long and its next step up in length the 454 Csaull, the 454 Casull being like the Magnum version of the 45 Colt long. The 454 Casull is around twice the power of the 44 Mag. But in 45 Colt long VS 44 Mag comparison the ability of the gun to contain the pressure in the limiting factor and the 45 has every other advantage on its side.

We still have 45s shooting that are well over 100 years old while the 44Mag only came out in 1956. The 44 Mag was designed for greater pressures than the 44 special and this is the only reason the case is made longer, so that a 44 Mag case wonít fit in an old 44 special that wonít take the pressure. Same story with the 454 Casull, it was made longer to keep it from fitting in a 45 Colt chambered gun that canít take the 65,000cup pressure the 454 is rated for.

Thanks much. You've summarized it well enough to get a big picture of the differences. Snyd also helped a lot with his comment about .... "there are 45 Colt loads and then there are Ruger, F/A, etc., 45 Colt loads" ... actually a different breed of similar pedigree. You take it a step further. Appreciate it.

|||

Anyone here shooting the .45LC- S&W 625-9 Mountain Gun?
    I just bought one this weekend and love it already!
    I was off hand shooting some "cowboy" loads at 25 yards and was keeping a 3"-4" group.
    Any feed back on this gun?
    Thanks,
    Ken

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Default S&W .45 Colt revolvers

Had one, then got divorced, and it went away. Haven't found another to replace it. It was a blued, 4" heavy barrel gun that was an officer's weapon. Evanston, Wyoming, after the gas boom there, armed the local PD and SD officers with these pieces.
    One thing you HAVE to understand about the .45 Colt round in the S&W revolvers is that they WILL NOT handle the loads that the Rugers will handle with aplomb. Take a look at the cylinder stop notch over the chamber. DIRECTLY over the chamber. I don't know how they managed to do it without breaking through and into the chamber. The cylinder is also a lot smaller in diameter, especially over the chambers.
    Any load that is suitable for the Colt revolvers will work fine in the S&W, and there's some mighty potent stuff available that's suitable in the Smith. Much to be said good about a 250-300 grain hard cast bullet at moderate velocity.
    Beautiful gun! I'd snap one up in a heartbeat if I could find one! Not much that comes close to the N-frame S&W lockwork and triggers, unless it's the S&W K-frames!

Ya, I should re-iterate that the loads I refer to here are Hodgdons Ruger, T/C, Freedom Arms ONLY loads.

Darreld, Evanston? I used to live in Rock Springs in the early 80's. My son was born there. Did a little Rough Neckin down there. All I can say is that Rock Springs is a good place to be "from"

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Tjat

All this good stuff I hear about the "Potential" of the 45 Colt, makes me wonder if any of you aficionados have ever experienced the Too Large Chambers that are found in many 45 Colt guns.

I've read about it in Handloading magazines over the years and even recently. Isn't this another reason to stick with the 44 Mag? That Linebaugh article mentions it too.

You have what your have with the 44 Mag, without any conditions. It seems that with the 45 Colt, you might hafta jump through some hoops to equal or surpass the 44 Mag.

Maximum power wasn't an issue with me, so I could have gone with a 45 Colt, but I thought that the 44 Mag. was more practical to handload, etc.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    All this good stuff I hear about the "Potential" of the 45 Colt, makes me wonder if any of you aficionados have ever experienced the Too Large Chambers that are found in many 45 Colt guns.

I've read about it in Handloading magazines over the years and even recently. That Linebaugh article mentions it too. Isn't this another reason to stick with the 44 Mag?

You have what your have with the 44 Mag, without any conditions. It seems that with the 45 Colt, you might hafta jump through some hoops to equal or surpass the 44 Mag.

Maximum power wasn't an issue with me, so I could have gone with a 45 Colt, but I thought that the 44 Mag. was more practical to handload, etc.

Smitty of the North
    I have not found any of the oversize chambers since I started playing with 45s in the 70s. I have never had any of the old Colt made 45s though, just Rugers and Italian Colt copies. I donít think oversize chambers are as common as they are made out to be.

I jumped through the hoops with the 45 years ago because I just donít like the 44mag, not that there is something wrong with the 44mag. I was just sick of hearing how great it was, Dirty Hairy movies and what not. As it turned out I did not need to jump through any hoops since the 45 and the Ruger were up for way more than I was doing when I thought I was pushing them to match the 44mag, but at the time a guy could only find 44mag info.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I bought a S&W 25-13 Mountain gun a few months ago and have started to develop some loads for it..it's accurate and fun to shoot...I have to make sure I seperate my Ruger loads cuz I'm shootin some 30,000 pressure rounds through the ruger..I figger that the Mnt. gun can handle around 20,000, the factory loads for the .45 colt are around 14,000... I'm thinkin of driving a Keith style bullet 270 gr. at around 1,100 fps and am playing with that...now if I can just find some powder to buy...

Default hey Snyd

Have you had any issues with your Ruger that causes the cylinder to become difficult to close and spin when closed?

I shot about 7 of the light loads that I made and it fouled the gun up pretty good. The cases were hard to eject so I tapped on the ejector with my leatherman (in it's case) - then the cylinder would not shut easily....I though that I bent the thing...

Got home and cleaned it and it works good as never fired......

I will just tell the bear to stop whilst I clean my pea shooter.....

Glad it isn't broken, but sure bugs me that I wasn't able to shoot a bunch of rounds -I could see if it was 40 or 50 rounds - but 7??

The 7 were a mix of H110 and W296.....those powders (or one of them) sure leave a lot of residue....

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Have you had any issues with your Ruger that causes the cylinder to become difficult to close and spin when closed?

I shot about 7 of the light loads that I made and it fouled the gun up pretty good. The cases were hard to eject so I tapped on the ejector with my leatherman (in it's case) - then the cylinder would not shut easily....I though that I bent the thing...

Got home and cleaned it and it works good as never fired......

I will just tell the bear to stop whilst I clean my pea shooter.....

Glad it isn't broken, but sure bugs me that I wasn't able to shoot a bunch of rounds -I could see if it was 40 or 50 rounds - but 7??

The 7 were a mix of H110 and W296.....those powders (or one of them) sure leave a lot of residue....
    H110 and W296 should never be used in light lodes, they can be dangerous!! Try 2400, Unique or something for light lodes never H110/W296 since they are well known to have erratic and dangerous pressures in light lodes.

They are also dirty and I get the same power without the muck from Lil-Gun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast