Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?

So my buddy walked into his bear bait on Friday night to sit for the first time since there had been alot of activity finally and as he gets closer he sees 2 guys sitting in his stand. One is in total orange and the other in camo. Both have guns. Well he was hot to say the least. And he had his kid with him. So after some words they leave. One guy lives in wasilla and one is from Colorado. He has there names. One they did not have written permission two they never wrote there hunting numbers on his registration from the state. What to do? Troopers or deal with it?

I'd tell the troopers. Atleast then there would be documentation, just incase it happens again and, heaven forbid, the encounter escalates.

Laziness makes me mad. if they want to hunt over bait, they can get off there arse and register and set up there own station.

You have to get ahold of the troopers or they will just come back.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

It would have been better to have called the Wildlife troopers while in the field or ASAP. I don't know if i would have been able to keep my composure as well as your friend did.

What you had two bears in your stand dressed up in camo and hunter orange? And you let them get away! I hope i get some bears like that at my bait cause i am shooting. Then i might call the troopers.

Default What Would I do

From what I have read; this is what I would have done. I would have whistled so they knew we were there and did not shoot at us thinking we are bears; based on the sight of movement. I would then wave and acknowledge them. Depending on how that went; would depend on wether I would approach them and talk or turn and head out. Either way, this could be a case of confusion or just ingorance. The worst case is to think that they were intentionally doint this on purpose. I have found that most people are pretty reasonable. Either way. I would definetly call the troopers and let them know what happened.

Thumbs down Call them in

Either way, this could be a case of confusion or just ingorance. The worst case is to think that they were intentionally doint this on purpose. I have found that most people are pretty reasonable.
    Ya, right, they were just confused. Are you trying to convenience me they didn’t know and that they should pretty please leave? These guys are the scum that ethical hunters don’t want to be associated with and the very ethics that many of us here on this forum have been trying to drive home to each and every Alaskan hunter here. Ethics start with YOU! Lead by example.

Apparently I didn’t get the memo when they changed that golden rule "Do to other as thou wouldst they should do to thee, and do to none other but as thou wouldst be done to…unless their dumb butt isn’t around then screw them.” Look, I’m no saint but I don’t purposely try to screw people just because I think I can get away with it.

I just spoke with some of the top brass at the Wildlife Troopers yesterday - I’d be happy to give you the direct line to call. And I recommend that. If it’s not law already maybe it should also be a law if you get caught using a bait station not yours you get a fat fine and loss of your bear hunting privileges for a period of time. Seems like that’s the only way to get these people’s attention.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

The guy from Alaska should no the law and it is absolutely disrespectful to do what he did. He did none of the leg work involved in setting up a bait stand and who knows if he has even been to the class and legal. I would get the troopers involved and have his dumb!@$ pay the legal consequences.

Default Permit

My understanding is that you can't use a bear bait without the expressed consent of the permit holder whose registered for that bait site. They would have at least violated that regulation if not some additional regs.
    Tattle, maybe they'll read the regs, next time; if it costs them some bucks this time.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

if you let them get away with it this time they will just do it again. call the troopers and let them decide.

Unfortunately, this happens far too often. I think there should be a stiff fine for getting caught. $500-$1000 or so would keep lots of people off.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Amazing. Wouldn't that be like someone helping themselves to the "catch" in your crab pots, fishing nets, or trapline? He knew darned well what he was doing - NAIL HIM! Just don't loose his name and info in case he retaliates on your vehicle at the trailhead or anything else. That would be my biggest fear but he should still see some kind of punishment.

It's very sad to see and hear about this type of behavior especially when the guy had his son present and now he has to explain to him about scumbags.

Speaking of unbelievable behavior, I went by Birch Lake last weekend and stopped to use the outhouse. It was still closed for the winter and what do you think was ON the door and concrete pad in front of the outhouse? Multiple piles of human feces (not to mention trash everywhere)! My god, what a disgrace. Sorry to hear about your buddy.

Sneaking in and sitting on another guys bear bait is as low as it gets. Now if the origianl guy already got his bear and gave permission thats one thing but this is low!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LBZ42 View Post
    What you had two bears in your stand dressed up in camo and hunter orange? And you let them get away! I hope i get some bears like that at my bait cause i am shooting. Then i might call the troopers.
    granted i would be pissed off ... but LBZ?

come on.........
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default BS

Sorry to hear your that crap happened and kudos to your friend for staying calm, getting names...now report them and I want to hear that there are consequences.
    If you hear let us know.

They would for a time think that they were standing on the yellow footprints at Parris Island, S.C. THEN I'd call the law to create something tangible that identifies them as the scumbag poachers that they are.

Taylor

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Amazing!!!

It’s just amazing the direction in which a thread will go.

Not too long ago, one of our posters “Ironartist” complained about someone using his tree stand, and the replies were just the opposite from what we have here.

He was told that he shouldn’t leave it, unattended, and if he did, anyone should be allowed to use it. That he was trying to claim the place where he left it as his own personal hunting area, etc. It was argued vehemently, by me and him, up one hill, and down the other.

I suppose that a Bait Station is a LITTLE different, in that the area IS an exclusive hunting area, for Bear anyway, but WHERE WERE YOU GUYS WHEN YOU WERE NEEDED? (To argue for a persons right to his own property, even on public lands.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

It comes down to one thing, which applies everywhere. If it aint yours don't F**kin touch it, unless you have permission. Would you let someone sit there lazy ***** on your front porch just because they felt like it? I don't think so. How I would act with my kids with me is a lot different then if I didn't, good job keeping your cool and please report them ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    It’s just amazing the direction in which a thread will go.

Not too long ago, one of our posters “Ironartist” complained about someone using his tree stand, and the replies were just the opposite from what we have here.

He was told that he shouldn’t leave it, unattended, and if he did, anyone should be allowed to use it. That he was trying to claim the place where he left it as his own personal hunting area, etc. It was argued vehemently, by me and him, up one hill, and down the other.

I suppose that a Bait Station is a LITTLE different, in that the area IS an exclusive hunting area, for Bear anyway, but WHERE WERE YOU GUYS WHEN YOU WERE NEEDED? (To argue for a persons right to his own property, even on public lands.)

Smitty of the North
    I know what you are saying, but to me, a bait station is a lot different than a tree stand set up for moose hunting. I don't know all the rules of bear baiting, but I do know there are rules to follow, and if a person sits on someone else's bait then they are breaking the rules. If someone sits in a tree stand set up on public land during moose season, I don't know of any rules that are being broken, besides ethical rules. Either way I don't condone either.

Not sure what will come of this as my buddy is still in the feild he should be back today and I'll encourage him to read all these posts and make his own decions. By the way he had been baiting this spot for 5 years with out incident. He normally walks in from his truck the 2 guys rode a 6 wheeler in.Will keep you all posted. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast