Thread: Winter Kill on Kodiak?

Default Winter Kill on Kodiak?

Just wondering if any one has heard how the deer fared this winter. Planning a trip this Nov.

I spoke with a guide (who runs a couple hunting camps on Kodiak) a couple weeks ago and he said the deer took a major hit this year. Not trying to bum you out, just what I heard.

I talked to a biologist here a few weeks ago and he said things were looking real good until the last blizzard we had in March, which killed off alot.

Dang it. Not sure it really matters though. I'm planning on coming regardless, just was hoping it wasn't to bad. Was in Kodiak back in January, duck hunting, as crazy as this may sound, it was warmer there than back at home in Birmingham, AL. I got lucky and the weather was mild but shortly afterward it turned bad and few weeks before I made the trip to Kodiak it was bad.
    Might be doing a lot of hiking, don't have to shoot something to have fun. If I did I wouldn't be hunting. Thanks for the info

Donny

Default Another bad one?

Man, the deer have been getting hit hard for at least the last 3 years. They can't seem to catch a break.

I had heard at one point they were going to introduce some new blood to the island in deer transplants due to the breeding issues. Does anyone know if this ever happend?

Default Ideas

Pull it from POW and introduce some of the big antler genetics. The original batch came from Baranof and surrounding islands.

I think someone told me that the winter kill isn't as bad on the south end. Could be wrong. I'd double check on that.

Brett

Default swimmer

Which Biologist did you talk with, John Crye?

Yep, talked to him during my archery certification course. He didnt specify whether they were down on the whole island or just the road system. He did say they had been out surveying the fawn rate and the last blizzard buried alot of the deer.

Default Kodiak Update

Anyone out there have some new information for the South end of the Island?
    Thanks.