Thread: Bear from POW

Default Bear from POW

Made mention of this in the other POW bear post. Got this May 1 on a solo air drop hunt using my Ruger 454. This was my 3rd successful bear hunt this way. First for this particular spot, first with a handgun, second taken with a predator call.

The morning after getting dropped off I walked up a nearby creek. As I came around a point I saw a bear coming down the other side, we saw each other at the same time. He stopped and stared at me from about 40 yards away. At that point I wasnt sure if he was big enough as I wanted to take a big bear. Every now and then he would look away as I tried to get down on the ground so I wasnt so visible. But every time Id move the rocks would make a little noise and hed stare at me. I was glad he wasnt running away because it made me think he may be a dominant bear. Finally I was able to get down at least partially out of view near a rock . I decided that he would be a good enough trophy for a handgun. When I pulled the hammer back the cocking noise was the last straw and he turned and walked off into the bush. After a couple minutes without any sight or sound from him I took out a predator call (fawn bleat) that I carry in my pocket.

I gave a few calls on it and in about a minute or so he came back REAL fast and deliberate! He came down to the edge of the water swinging his head back and forth, looking up and down the creek trying to find out where the sound came from. He started looking for a place to come across the creek and I figured I needed to shoot right then or hed be a close-in moving target using a scoped handgun, that doesn't work so well.

I aimed quickly and fired, I felt the shot was good because I saw his front end go down, he never made it into the bush. He angled up across the bank only making it about 8-10 yards. When I pulled him down the bank I realized he was bigger than I thought. Taking a quick measurement with a tape measure he was about 7 foot nose to butt. Hes an old class bear with a broken upper canine, some other teeth are broken or just completely missing, molars are worn nearly flat. At sealing he measured 21 4/16. If it stays over 21 after the drying period it will make the All Time B&C. Interested to see what he ages from the pulled tooth. The other 2 I took aged at 7 1/2 and 8 1/2 but side by side these teeth are more worn than those. I would have liked to recover the bullet but the 300 gr. Nosler Partition passed right through.

Took about 7 hours and a total of 7 trips (half mile each way) to get it skinned, quartered, and hauled back to the tent. The heaviest load was the hide probably around 100 lb. The next day I took a hike up to a remote lake catching (and releasing) a bunch of small 8-10 cutthroat trout in the creek and in the lake. Both the day I shot the bear and the next day that I went fishing were unusually warm getting up into the 70s so I was worried about the fatty hide going bad. When I got dropped off the pilot asked me to take his satellite phone so I used it to call him to pick me up on the third full day not knowing if it was going to stay that warm. My original plan was to be out for 5 days. It was a short trip but still very nice. Saw lots of eagles, otters, and a marten ran through my eating area right in front of me. Found a lot of winter/wolf killed deer and even the bones of another bear.

Heres a link to some other pics of the trip and a short video:
    http://sports.webshots.com/album/571795654VOGqme

Wow Ed that is an awesome bear man! I am heading up Monday for a week and a half can you give me any pointers? Any help would be very appreicated I struck out up there last year but saw bear. What part of the Island were you dropped off in? Again awesome bear!

Sounds like you had a great trip. Big bruin for sure. It sure seems that a lot of the POW bears have rubbed forelegs and faces. It must be the early emergers shearing it off while moving through the snow. Nice pictures and video, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Very nice for sure.Handgun hunting is great fun and knowing your limits most times makes you hunt a not just shoot game.Congrats

Default congrats

Done in great style! I love a solo bear hunt done right.

Thanks for posting.

Great story and great bear! Congrats!

Very nice indeed! I hope we have the same luck next week!
    "I look into... my fly box, and think about all the elements I should consider in choosing the perfect fly... then I remember what a guide told me: 'Ninety percent of what a trout eats is brown and fuzzy and about five-eighths of an inch long." Allison Moir

Wow great story and great photos. Sounds like an awesome hunt Ed. Very inspiring - makes me want to get out there.

Sounded like a great trip. Congrads, that is a real nice bear. Any pics of the skull?