Thread: Leaking zodiac

Default Leaking zodiac

I have a slow leak in my 9' zodiac and it is not obvious where the leak is at. I was wondering if anyone has a method of locating a slow leak?

air it up and spray with soapy water solution
    check valve areas and seams real well if not obvious at first
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default My Zodiac was also leaking

I have an old Zodiac (probably almost 20 years old) that was leaking. I took it to Alaska Raft and Kayak and they told me that it had a bunch "pin holes", not just one small hole or leak. They ended up having to coat the entire inside with a flex seal and it's good to go. Down side is that it cost 300 bucks.... but it was cheaper than buying a new one and I wanted it fixed right since it is the life raft for out boat and 300 bucks is nothing for the safety of my family. I've heard the soap thing works well to find the leak.

I tried the soap trick and it worked good, I found the leak, it was coming from one of the plugs. I pulled it off and discovered the gasket on the plug was missing, I overlooked it when I put it on. I replaced the plug with a spare and it is holding air good. Thanks for the help!

glad it was an easy fix
    i have 4 inflatables my old dingy has had a hard life, long life and leaks on inside where seam , floor, floor boards and tube meet...in more than one place . i got a new boat but plan on fixing it some day as well if possible....still usable but needs to be pumped every couple hrs.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

you can buy the sealant at west marine - $70 or something like that, but it works

actually have tried a sealant in mine and did not take care of the problem....probably operator error

Failed to find the slow leak in mine until i put the sealant in. It oozed out the hole. It also sealed it.
    Pay close attention to the inside. Mine was way under the tube where the floorboards meet the side. Try inflating it and putting four or five inches of water in it, and look for bubbles. It was the one thing I failed to do. It cost me some bucks.