Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Juneau Blackies

Default Juneau Blackies

Finally seeing a few. Watched a sow and cub yesterday for about 1/2 hour. This years. Tiny.
    Surprised I'm not seeing more. Lots of green up. I'm sure they are out in numbers, though. i just havn't been out looking at prime time.

I'm willing to bet they arn't quite out in force yet actually...

Saw two yesterday, one a decent boar. I think this is the week to be on them. Sucks, as I have outboard problems that won't be fixed until late in the week.
    Guess i'll have to do a little climbing and hunt some slopes.

Saw a huge boar out Thane by the slide at 5:30AM the other day...

I saw that bear on the avalache slide on saterday, he looked decent. I went out road (north) early on friday and saw no tracks in my hot spot. There is still a bit of snow in the open areas but under the trees wasn't as bad. later that day I saw a small bear on the slide behind the high school. This is going to be the week and I have to leave town for 10days.

Son and I are going out the end of Thane this afternoon. Climbing up above the power line cut down by little sheep cr. It's a bit of a hump up, and brushy as #%^*&* through the cut, but pretty nice once your up there. We'll see.

I saw three more on the slides inbetween the highschool and sheep ck. yesterday and on this morning on one of the first slides coming into town.
    Good luck!

Just an FYI, the 1/4 mile rule for the road out there extends to just below the summits of most of the mountains along the road...

And people do watch those mountains like hawks. 2 guys got nailed there last year for shooting one in the big slide area...

Default Saw one

Saw a real nice boar up on this hill side above the flume trail.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    Just an FYI, the 1/4 mile rule for the road out there extends to just below the summits of most of the mountains along the road...

And people do watch those mountains like hawks. 2 guys got nailed there last year for shooting one in the big slide area...
    Good information to remind people....

I know there are restricted areas around Mt. Juneau for shooting...but the peaks around the mountains around downtown Juneau and Mendenhall are all 2500+ ft (and Mt. Juneau / Gastineau are more like 3200) with the road being at roughly sea level... I guess it depends on your definition of 'just below the summit'.

The 1/4 mile rule is not as a man walks, its as a bird flies.

So, if you take and look at a map, and draw a 1/4 mile inland from the road, that is how far you have to be...

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    The 1/4 mile rule is not as a man walks, its as a bird flies.

So, if you take and look at a map, and draw a 1/4 mile inland from the road, that is how far you have to be...
    That's an interesting point. I understand that's how the troopers enforce the 5 mile corridor on the haul road, though I find that comparison lacking, given the comparatively flat terrain ...
    In the city ordinances I was only able to find this:

"It is unlawful for any person except a peace officer in the line of duty, to fire or discharge any firearm within one-quarter mile of any public street, road or highway."

Hopefully they'll amend this at some point to be clearer. A reasonable person could interpret this ordinance incorrectly.
    Last edited by Dr.No; 05-12-2009 at 22:15. Reason: More text...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    That's an interesting point. I understand that's how the troopers enforce the 5 mile corridor on the haul road, though I find that comparison lacking, given the comparatively flat terrain ...
    In the city ordinances I was only able to find this:

"It is unlawful for any person except a peace officer in the line of duty, to fire or discharge any firearm within one-quarter mile of any public street, road or highway."

Hopefully they'll amend this at some point to be clearer. A reasonable person could interpret this ordinance incorrectly.
    You also have state code that says you cannot big game hunt within a 1/4 of the roadway here...

EDIT:

Along with the ordinance you posted, there is a part of that, or a seperate one that closes off a part of the Mt. Roberts area for a duration of the summer.

I'm pretty sure the 1/4 mile thing is a Juneau city ordinance. I couldn't find it in the regs after a cursory look, so please do point that out if it's in there. Not that I do much (if any) hunting within 1/4 mile the road, just like to be aware of the regs...

Also, 1/4 mile as is defined puts you about half way up Mt Roberts or so, if google maps is to be believed...Really depends on which mountain.

You're referring to this, I believe:

It is unlawful for any person except a peace officer in the line of duty, to fire or discharge any firearm within one-quarter mile of the Mount Roberts Trail, from the trailhead at Sixth Street to the top of Gastineau Peak, including Gold Ridge, from April 15 through October 15.
    Last edited by Dr.No; 05-12-2009 at 22:34. Reason: Added ordinance

I believe it is in the Unit 1 map area of the regulations. I haven't picked up a set for this year yet so I can't be certain!

Yup, looked there several times. Not in there as far as I can tell.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul.../pdfs/gmu1.pdf

There is a 1/4 mile corridor in Ketchikan, for what that's worth...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    Yup, looked there several times. Not in there as far as I can tell.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul.../pdfs/gmu1.pdf

There is a 1/4 mile corridor in Ketchikan, for what that's worth...

Theres a part in there but part of the text is all corrupt in there on my adobe so I cant see what it says, may be it though lol...

google earth adds the elivation in its distance, so it is not as the crow flys. I belive where ak viking was going was a 1/4 mile off the road and I was just stating that I saw bears out and about. What about if you used a bow? The regs are a bit difrent for that.

Theres a reg that states "No Big Game Hunting within 1/4 mile" or somthing to that effect.

The "no discharge of a firearm within 1/4 mile" is a seperate law, which is a CBJ ordinance...

"Juneau Road System Closed Area: The area between the coast and a line 1/4 inland of the following road systems: Glacier Highways from Mile 0 to Mile 23.3 at Peterson Creek, Douglas Highway from the Douglas city limits to Mile 7 on the North Douglas Highway, Mendenhall Loop Road and Thane Road; is close to taking of big game."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast