Thread: Shipping fish

Default Shipping fish

I am going to SE alaska in the fall and want to ship fish back to Portland. What is the most cost effective way to send it?

I shipped on the plane last year and it was $225 for 4 boxes.
    I am looking into doing the alaska cargo shipment this year.
    Any Ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Wink

I've done it both ways. Air cargo is a little cheaper than baggage. Just got back from Yakutat, brought back 2 boxes of fish, plus one bag (over weight 75#), and a rod case on Alaska Airlines and it cost $125. In this case the total would have been higher to use air freight. Used air freight last year for 3 boxes from Kodiak and it was cheaper than baggage.

Alaska Airlines baggage rules are in constant flux and you need to make shipping decisions based on the time your tickets are purchased and how your processor wants to handle it. In the past I have had an agreeable processors ship the fish 3-4 days after my departure, allowing me to get home and then track the shipment on my computer for pick up immediately after arrival.

Best advice, remain flexible and work out the details with your processor before you go and know the applicable baggage rules.
    Good Luck
    Dave

Default Shipping fish

Thanks that is kind of what I am thinking but just checking around.

What kill me is when you get to 3 or more bags to check they nail you for $100 each. I like to bring back fish, I end up giving away a lot to family and friends.

Mike

That is a great picture of the fish on the dock

I shipped my gear bag, luggage and poles ups home to NY for like $100 and checked the 2 boxs of fish on the plain. Worked great but dirty clothes were a little ripe when they showed up 4 weeks later, wife was pissed

Quote Originally Posted by ajfjeff View Post
    I shipped my gear bag, luggage and poles ups home to NY for like $100 and checked the 2 boxs of fish on the plain. Worked great but dirty clothes were a little ripe when they showed up 4 weeks later, wife was pissed
    By no sense of humor huh.

When I mailed stuff last year the Priority was only like $3 more so next time check your price on priority.

Thanks

Ripe?? no thats the smell of success!!

If you are planning on using AK Air cargo, you have to be a "Known Shipper". This process, while free, can take 2-4 weeks or longer as it involves sending copies of your utility bills, ect to AK Air and having them get back to you.

AK Air Cargo for a box of fish, say 50lbs or so, is like $80 - $90, I think (that being a JNU to SFO quote, but believe the zoning is the same as yours).

If it's at all possible to bring all your personal items as carry-ons, or use USPS, it makes more sense to use AK Air's check luggage (to a point...).

Anyways, you can do the math. Have fun.

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/hel...ge.asp#maindiv

1st Bag62 in.50 lbs.$15 (USD) one way
    2nd Bag62 in.50 lbs.$25 (USD) one way
    3rd Bag62 in.50 lbs.$50 (USD) one way
    4th Bag62 in.50 lbs.$100 (USD) one way
    5th Bag62 in.50 lbs.$100 (USD) one way
    6th Bag62 in.50 lbs.$100 (USD) one way
    7th Bag62 in.50 lbs.$100 (USD) one way

Also, the AK Air baggage regulations are not in constant flux. They have recently made a change to charge for all bags, though they have a list of exceptions as well as detailed information as to whether your ticket is included in these new changes (depends on date of purchase) which are outlined in the link provided above. Still get 3 for free within AK, which is nice...

Default Ak airlines "Priority Perishable Express"...

One way I would recommend is to use Alaska Airlines' "Priority Perishable Express" when coming home from a trip with fish. You bring it to the counter at least 60 minutes before your flight leaves, and then you can pick it up anywhere up to an hour or so after you reach your destination. My wife and I have used this when traveling around in-state with salmon/halibut, etc, but is applicable elsewhere. The cost per pound will vary depending on the destinations you are coming/going from, but they are highly preferable to 'additional bag' rates, and even MORE preferable to the USPS. An added bonus is that they have refrigeration/freezer capacity for your parcels at all airports along the way if there is any layover, etc., so you don't have a pile of mush if you run into a delay or cancellation.

Example:
    If you have 100 pounds of Halibut, you can put it in two, fifty pound boxes, as additional luggage, and pay $25, and $100 for them respectively.

But, using the PPE service at the midrange rate of .65 per pound (taken from the link below), you would pay only $65.00 for the same 100 pounds (nearly half price of the above), plus fuel charges, etc, not to mention you can then use your other bag allowances for your rod tubes, etc.

They also have a "Goldstreak" program for non frozen goods.
    Might save someone a few bucks and hassle.

We use pp express every summer bringing sockeye back from the weir.....

Here's a link: http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/car...go-Pricing.asp

Default Thanks, Lastonefishing...

that's a great link to priority perishable express at AK air. I have to fly ERA from Valdez to connect with AK Air in Anchorage, not sure if this will work for me but they are partners, so I'll give it a try. Table shows $61 for me to ship 100 lbs, that about half of what I would pay as extra luggage

Thanks for the link that may work for us.

I just want to make sure it gets there when we do or I have to have it shipped a few days after we leave so we can pick it up.

Thanks again.

Mike

Think carry on!!! I haven't flow back from Alaska in the last 10 years without 45lbs of frozen fish in my carry on. Those little blue suit cases that fit in the over head will hold between 45-48 lbs of frozen filets. If you bring back 100 lbs you can pay $25 for the first extra piece and nothing for your carry on. I fly from anchorage to Eugene Or. and it usually takes between 6-10 hours from the time I take it out of the freezer. Sometimes the outer packages will be just starting to thaw but I just drop them in the freezer and never lost a bit. When the little suit case goes through the scanner the security just smiles.

2nd the carry on idea. If you're able to wrap your filets in newspaper, they'll stay frozen for your entire journey...Be sure to check you actual rate...

The standard wet-lock box is 30L x 15W x 8H ...

Plug that in here:

http://cargo.alaskaair.com/Cargo%20Rate%20Calculator%20Web%20UI/CargoRateRequest.aspx

Default The carry on connection...

It simply is a smart play. My frozen products wind up inside and they are insulated.

Insulated?

You 'betcha!

I use my cold-weather rain jacket. What once protected the fisherman now protects his catch...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

I hope it works for you, Capn' Ron - we have flown ERA and PEN air from Sand Point back to SE before and they offer those services there (Goldstreak, PP, etc....) 'course the last time we used it was about a year ago, and who knows what they've changed.....the airlines seem to be in the middle of a "change revolution".....

IWANTTOFISH - Yep, it should get there the same time you do if you drop it off a little before your flight. Of course, our bags are supposed to do that, too...but I bet they wouldn't guarantee it...

Yea that is why I wonder if it is better to have someone ship it to me Priority express a few days or even the next day after we leave so that we can be there right when it comes in.

When I called them about it at Alaska air before they said it would be shipped by truck from Seattle to Portland on a refer truck so it would take longer.

I will call them again.

We are going to do a test run in about a month when I send a box of about 100 lbs of shad up to Ketchican for some halibut bait and see how it does.

The price would be much cheaper shipping this way.

Mike