Thread: Shipping, Transport small outboard?

Default Shipping, Transport small outboard?

Just wondering what solutions some of the members have come up with to ship and transport small outboards? Please provide pictures if you can, says a 1000 words. If you are able to provide suppliers or other details it would be greatly appreciated. I don't think that I have ever seen this topic covered so it sould be interesting to see the input. The fever is starting and I can feel the excitment!! FYI I'm in the process of obtaining a mercury 3.3 hp 2 stroke that weighs 28lbs.

1 have a 6 hp Suzuki and when I'm taking a drive with it I'll wrap it in life jackets and put it snugly against other gear and strap it down. That way I don't forget the life jackets or the motor! It's probably not the best way to do it, but it's worked well for me.

In the garage I did slight modifications to a dolly I picked up from the hardware store. It works great, I can move it around easily and its upright and easy to work on.

Sorry I don't have any pictures... I am also very curious as to what others have to say about this...

Just like this. I also built a frame/box out of 2X12 that I prop the transom up onto to support the motor, and have attached a commercial transom saver to support the lower unit. I don't have pictures yet of this. All the motor wt. is solid to the trailer deck=no wt. on the transom or boat.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default More info

I guess that I should add a little more info. The main thing that I was refering too is for flying and shipping freight. Commercially as well as bush flights.

Default Maybe call the air taxi or an air cargo service...

I recall Mike Strahan's suggestion from his book to be similar to what HunterTom suggested. Also, some motors (my Honda 9hp) have a designated "Top" side that's supposed to be up when shipping.

If shipping by air cargo, maybe they'll strap your motor onto a pallet. Northern Air Cargo here in Anchorage has been great when I've called with questions. I wouldn't hesitate to give them a call for their suggestions as well.

Best wishes this season.

Unhappy Air shipping

Ah, a retired airline employee can tell you that a motor will be a "restricted article" if it ever had gas in it and has to be sealed in case oil leaks. Cargo ONLY airlines may take it, but not passenger aircraft. Trucking is usually the way to go, but you could get it to the west coast and ship it up. Kind of a pain to try and get it here.

M

Default Outboards and gas tanks...

I thought I'd read that too; that shipping motors if they had ever contained gas was a problem, but I called NAC (they're open til 10PM M-F), and was told, not an issue - just empty and ship.

I checked their website (http://www.northernaircargo.com/shipping/special.php), which details the following:

Hazardous Materials

The shipper must declare all hazardous materials, such as propane, white gas, small arms ammunition, bear spray, aerosol cans, etc. All camp stoves, lanterns and tanks must be empty of any fuel. All boat motors and boat motor tanks must be empty of fuel. ATV's should be drained of fuel.

Also, NAC said for general cargo, transport time depends on destination. For Dillingham, with 3 flights per week, I had planned to ship raft/gear 3 days or so ahead. NAC charges for storage at destination after 72 hrs.

So, as I understand it, once emptied (tanks, lines) of fuel, I can pack it in a tarp, padded with life jackets or similar stuff, strap it onto a pallet and ship. If the outboard is considered hazmat, there's an extra fee, $25 or $50 I think.

Found the section in Mike's book (p.58, Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers). Mike suggests wrapping the engine "...cowling in a foam sleeping pad..." and otherwise padding it between layers on a pallet. His book contains many useful tips for planning, packing, shipping float gear, including the saving money by using (and limitations of) US Postal Svc services, and for air cargo-maybe shipping freight 3 weeks in advance. I'm guessing that's advice born of experience. Excellent resource. So, maybe I will need to send gear much earlier.

Good luck on your trip, tboehm.

Default Shipping outboards

Tom,

Shipping an outboard TO Alaska is different from shipping an outboard WITHIN Alaska. Looks like you need to do both.

I would check with some of the motor transport companies (trucking companies) that do long-haul to Seattle. From there you could barge it up (takes a lot of time) or you might be able to ship it on Alaska Airlines as cargo. But if you go air cargo, you need to get rid of that gas smell. We do it with diesel or regular alcohol, swilled around in the empty tank and drained. If there is ANY gas fumes in the tank, it will be rejected.

Once you get it to Alaska you can go cargo out to the Bush, with the same stipulations as to fumes.

If it is a four-stroke, you have problems. The oil inside the engine cowling will leak and give you all sorts of problems if the outboard is placed on the wrong side during transit. This is why I prefer two-stroke motors.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Post Cargo Only

Use a cargo only shipper with all lines, etc. purged and you should be able to get it here. There are shippers that specialize in hazmat shipping and paperwork. Michael's suggestion to ship to Seattle via truck and barge it up is the easiest, but some cargo companies fly out of Seattle to Anchorage. Passenger airlines are sticklers on this. 49 CFR is the ruling regulation for this. It states........

(ii) For transportation by aircraft:
    (A) Flammable gas-powered vehicles, machines, equipment or cylinders containing the flammable gas must be completely emptied of flammable gas. Lines from vessels to gas regulators, and gas regulators themselves, must also be drained of all traces of flammable gas. To ensure that these conditions are met, gas shut-off valves must be left open and connections of lines to gas regulators must be left disconnected upon delivery of the vehicle to the operator. Shut-off valves must be closed and lines reconnected at gas regulators before loading the vehicle aboard the aircraft; or alternatively
    (B) Flammable gas powered vehicles, machines or equipment, which have cylinders (fuel tanks) that are equipped with electrically operated valves, may be transported under the following conditions:
    (1) The valves must be in the closed position and in the case of electrically operated valves, power to those valves must be disconnected;
    (2) After closing the valves, the vehicle, equipment or machinery must be operated until it stops from lack of fuel before being loaded aboard the aircraft;
    (3) In no part of the system between the pressure receptacle and the shut off valve shall the pressure exceed more than 5% of the maximum allowable working pressure of the system; and
    (4) There must not be any residual liquefied gas in the system, including the fuel tank.

You can look it up at http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title49...8.5.25.44.html

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingmike View Post
    Use a cargo only shipper with all lines, etc. purged and you should be able to get it here. There are shippers that specialize in hazmat shipping and paperwork. Michael's suggestion to ship to Seattle via truck and barge it up is the easiest, but some cargo companies fly out of Seattle to Anchorage. Passenger airlines are sticklers on this. 49 CFR is the ruling regulation for this. It states........

(ii) For transportation by aircraft:
    (A) Flammable gas-powered vehicles, machines, equipment or cylinders containing the flammable gas must be completely emptied of flammable gas. Lines from vessels to gas regulators, and gas regulators themselves, must also be drained of all traces of flammable gas. To ensure that these conditions are met, gas shut-off valves must be left open and connections of lines to gas regulators must be left disconnected upon delivery of the vehicle to the operator. Shut-off valves must be closed and lines reconnected at gas regulators before loading the vehicle aboard the aircraft; or alternatively
    (B) Flammable gas powered vehicles, machines or equipment, which have cylinders (fuel tanks) that are equipped with electrically operated valves, may be transported under the following conditions:
    (1) The valves must be in the closed position and in the case of electrically operated valves, power to those valves must be disconnected;
    (2) After closing the valves, the vehicle, equipment or machinery must be operated until it stops from lack of fuel before being loaded aboard the aircraft;
    (3) In no part of the system between the pressure receptacle and the shut off valve shall the pressure exceed more than 5% of the maximum allowable working pressure of the system; and
    (4) There must not be any residual liquefied gas in the system, including the fuel tank.

You can look it up at http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title49...8.5.25.44.html

Mike
    Mike,

My comments about shipping on Alaska Air Cargo from SEA to ANC were in recognition that Alaska runs cargo-only freighters on that route on a regular basis. There used to be one every night on that route, but that may have changed, with redeployment of aircraft pursuant to the economic downturn. Wait... now that I think about it, they do have a 737-400 freighter that is not capable of seating passengers. So unless they are using it to haul fish within the state right now, it is probably making the ANC-SEA run every day.

As you know, the HAZMAT regulations are complex (thanks for posting 49CFR). Most hunters are unaware of the complexities. My hunt consultation business frequently has me serving as an expeditor of hunters' gear and supplies. A couple of years ago a group shipped some butane canisters through the mail (as you know, the USPS does not accept HAZMAT). I was shocked when I opened the box and saw those loose canisters rolling around in there. They were for a ThermaCell device. Anyway I had to have them repacked in vermiculite and shipped to the field. It cost the guys about fifty bucks for packing and shipping. I told them, "Next time, invest in a headnet!"

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Once-fueled, always-fueled?

BTW, that law.justia.com website is interesting, (Sterling) Mike.

Back to the question at hand: At 28 pounds for this motor, I wondered if the postal service option could work. Is there any way to purge the gasoline from a small outboard to allow USPS to consider it safe (non-hazmat)?

Informative thread. Thank you.

Red face Shipping

6XLeech...............PM sent.

M