Thread: Looking for help with a guide/charter in Alaska

Default Looking for help with a guide/charter in Alaska

Hi

I live in New York. I've never been to Alaska. I've tried to find some info with googling, but I haven't come across what I'm looking for.

I want to take a trip to Alaska lasting 3 or more days to fish for rainbow trout, grayling, dolly vardon and at least one variety of salmon in a stream and/or river. I'm not interested in float trips or fishing from a boat, and I think could do with or without a guide (at least one there with me full time).

I work hard but make little money so I am trying to do this trip as cheap as possible.

Thanks alot for your help

Look into fishing Kodiak during the Silver Salmon season. You can rent a car and fish the road system. Lots of dollies.

Unfortunately I cannot drive because of an accident, though I can still wade and fish. Are there any guides coming out of Anchorage if I fly into there that can take me out for stream fishing or anything? Or maybe rivers or streams reachable by walking or public transportation?

I only know of one guide that works out of Anchorage. He takes people on float tubes in the nearby lakes. Typical clients are people that fly through and only have a day. If you can't drive, you should fly into Kenai or Kodiak from Anchorage. There's plenty of guides in both locations. By the way, it is difficult to do anything cheap up here when you involve guides and hotels/lodges.

Default Blueberry Island Lodge!

If there is any way that you can get to Igiugig (a short flight from Anchorage or Kenai) it sounds like the perfect setup for you is the Blueberry Island Lodge. This is a do it yourself operation with world priemere salmon and trout fishing. There is not a guide at the lodge, however George and Amy Riddle (lodge owners) are exceedingly knowledgeable with the area and can get you going in the right direction. Try this link: www.blueberryislandlodge.com.

Cheers