Thread: 45-70 Barnes Buster Bullets!

Question 45-70 Barnes Buster Bullets!

I am intrigued by bullets. We spend lots of money and countless hours on gear and rifles and it all comes down to the bullet. I just found out Barnes has a new heavy jacketed 400 grain 45-70 bullet called the Barnes Buster. It is susposed to be designed for hogs, bears and buffalo. They claim deep penetration, maximum weight retention and minimal expansion. I can't find info on the jacket thickness. Almost sounds like a cross between a hard cast and soft nose bullet. A mere 68.50 for a box of 50 and their site claims free shipping to any of the 50 states on all orders over 75 bucks. Is it the 45-70 bullet I have always wanted, sounds like it. They say hand gun bullets in .44, .45 and .500 will be available in mid 2009. I have a couple of Marlin 45-70's. One of them is a 26" octagon barreled beauty that I need to shoot a moose with. If any of you start using this bullet please post your info. I better buy another 5 lb. keg of H322!

Default Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    I am intrigued by bullets. We spend lots of money and countless hours on gear and rifles and it all comes down to the bullet. I just found out Barnes has a new heavy jacketed 400 grain 45-70 bullet called the Barnes Buster. It is susposed to be designed for hogs, bears and buffalo. They claim deep penetration, maximum weight retention and minimal expansion. I can't find info on the jacket thickness. Almost sounds like a cross between a hard cast and soft nose bullet. A mere 68.50 for a box of 50 and their site claims free shipping to any of the 50 states on all orders over 75 bucks. Is it the 45-70 bullet I have always wanted, sounds like it. They say hand gun bullets in .44, .45 and .500 will be available in mid 2009. I have a couple of Marlin 45-70's. One of them is a 26" octagon barreled beauty that I need to shoot a moose with. If any of you start using this bullet please post your info. I better buy another 5 lb. keg of H322!
    I will check it out, it should be good for the 450 Marlin as well!

Default Barnes Buster

Thanks for the information. I've just started my search for a new bullet for my Guide Gun. Never did have very good accurracy with the 405 grain I've been loading. I have some Barnes 300 gr. FNs on the way to try out.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    It is susposed to be designed for hogs, bears and buffalo. They claim deep penetration, maximum weight retention and minimal expansion.
    Frankly, it sounds like like it does the same thing as a good hardcast bullet at a higher price.
    What are the advantages?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Frankly, it sounds like like it does the same thing as a good hardcast bullet at a higher price.
    What are the advantages?
    It gives the shooter choice, and promotes competition, and they be able to handle higher velocities if needed ... and if so, have some expansion...

I see they focused on the bear hand cannon calibers. I think they missed the chance to steal the line share of the 10mm bear defense market (along with the "my 10 mm shoots through a chevy small block" guys). These rounds could be shot out a stock G20 with no barrel change required. I hope they take off and that it leads to an expansion of the line. A slightly expanding deep penetrating bullet that is compatible with the Glock rifling would be pretty sweet. I wonder how it performs as a hunting bullet.

Hopefully they do offer it in 10mm sometime. A little bit of expansion when I'm shooting through small block chevys would be nice. Sometimes that hardcast boolit just doesnt do enough damage to stop them before you get mauled.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Proud American View Post
    It gives the shooter choice, and promotes competition, and they be able to handle higher velocities if needed ... and if so, have some expansion...
    I like this PA. The higher velocity (whether it's needed or not) is something I am interested in. My 45-70 loads are close to 2400fps (24") and sighted in for 200yds, with PB range of 250. This is with open sights and it makes my Marlin a medium range rifle (up to 300yds) which is about max (for hunting) for the sight system. I can't do that with a cast. Right now, I've been using the Barnes' Originals and they do a pretty decent job. If I feel I need more (you know how that goes) I use my .458 with Barnes X's.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.