Thread: 5 mm rimfire

Default 5 mm rimfire

Does anyone have any first hand info on this old round? Remington made guns in early 70's. Now ammo is available although a different weight. The origianal Remington ammo was 39 gr, new ammo is 30 gr with a published velocity of 2350fps. This sounds like a better round than the 22 mag and the 17 HMR. The guns are going at a premium right now and the shells are around $18-$20 a box/50. Just thinking if this might make a comeback and if so would like to see someone make a gun again. Thanks for any input, Mark

Had a friend that had one. He said they used to use them on seals and he really enjoyed shooting it, accurate, not a lot of damage. He refused to get rid of it even when he couldn't find any ammo for it 15 years ago.

Go Wings

Default 5mm

Quote Originally Posted by moses42ak View Post
    Had a friend that had one. He said they used to use them on seals and he really enjoyed shooting it, accurate, not a lot of damage. He refused to get rid of it even when he couldn't find any ammo for it 15 years ago.

Go Wings
    Hopefully he kept it. I have a brother in law that has one and he just got some new ammo. He is going to mount a scope and give it a whirl. I will get some reports on that one. Yes- GO WINGS. Mark

I used to have one and when I got down to my last box of ammo with none on the horizon I stopped using it. Great little gun. Remington was ahead of the times on the 5mm. I wish I still had it.

Thumbs up Remington Model 591 in 5mm Rimfire

Definitely first hand experience with the rifle and rimfire round... yet never had one myself.

I still have and often use the Remington Model 581 in .22 S, L, LR

Both are pretty much the same rimfires in addition reminiscent for those more familiar with the centerfire Remington model 788 persuasion. In other words, more or less economy built and priced rifles that are not super rugged, yet are 'cult following' tack drivers on accuracy

The 'cult following' today with these Remington models bids a much higher price tag than these guns need be... however... the dead nuts accuracy, handiness, and no worries about scratches or dents still make these rifles an excellent used value.

If you decide you can't live without a 20 cal. rimfire magnum; certainly consider the accurate Remington. Aguila makes the ammo in 5mm rimmfire they call "Centurion" in a 30 grainer HP. Note that the original Rem. .2045 cal used a 38 grainer.

I personally do not think the 5mm rimfire will make any new inroads (when compared to .17HMR, or .22Mag) at the prices or availability on firearms and ammo.

If you've got the gun tho' by all means take 'er out and start shooting again!