Thread: NEF/H&R Rifles

Default NEF/H&R Rifles

I recently purchased a H&R Buffalo Classic in 45 long colt. It seems to be a slick little gun for what it is. It has a straight grip walnut butt stock and a schnable on the forend. It also has cut checkering on both the forend and butt stock. It is equiped with a buckhorn rear sight and a fine bead on front sight.

I think I can remember having one or two variations of these H&R's in the past but only as trading stock and nothing I intended to keep so I didn't pay much attention to them. However this one has got my interest.

Just wondered if any of you fellas could give me some insight/ opinions about these guns in general.

Thanks EKC

Default I love em!

Right now I have three. The H&R 20 ga my Dad got me in 1976, a model they call the Survivior in 45LC & .410 shotgun, it has a little storage compartment in the butt. Nut my favorite is a 30.06. All forends and stocks are interchangable. My 30.06 is as accurate as need be for a hunting rifle, very reliable. Plus I can purchase another barrel for about $100.00. No need to buy a new forend. I chose the 30.06 over getting a T/C Encore. Here is a link to another forum that will tell you all you need to know about H&R

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php

Made a black gun out of the one I have in 22 hornet,AR stock and barrel cut to 16 1/4" with 3x9 scope.Good back pack varmit gun.I think they are a good bang for the buck and strong

cant beat them for the price, i love mine. I have a 12ga slug gun, a 223 heavy barrel and a 25-06 ultra hunter. All are very accurate, i can put all shots into a 9" paper plate with my 12ga at 200 yds. the 223 is the most accurate rifle i own the 25-06 is accurate but i dont use it too much i normally stick with the 223. I want to send in the receiver and fore end and get a 12ga smooth bore and 308 for the Ultra rifle, that will run me about $200 when its all said and done.
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

I visited the Graybeard website that was given and it appears that most everyone that has one of these rifles likes em. So I just bought another one. I found a SB2 in 270 in excellent condition with 4X scope for 199.99 on gunbroker. I faxed them an FFL, did the credit card thing and it should be here next week.

Its kinda funny how things can go full circle. When I was a kid growing up in northern Iowa I killed a hundred pheasant a year with a single shot 20 ga and about that many squirrels with a single shot 22 (514 Remington). Since then I've owned hundreds of guns and some of them were pretty fancy now I'm sorta getting back to where I started and am liking it!

What's with some having extractors and some not? My SIL picked one up .308. Its got black synthetic stock components on it is about all I can remember.

do you mean ejectors, all the ones I have or owned had extractors...
    I prefer no ejector, just remove the extracted round, instead of shooting it over my shoulder...

I like the 20 ga SS, good bunny gun, short, light, easy to lear if dropped in the snow,
    the rifles are fun too...the concept of changing calibers is cool...

No Allen,I mean no extractor. There's not even a hole for the pin that holds the extractor assembly so it's not that the assembly is missing. I dunno!

don't know then...maybe ask the NEF handi rifle forum site folks. Wonder how one gets the fired case out of the chamber with no extractor then?

I had an old italian 12 ga SXS with no extractors. Came with a hunting knife that had a 12 ga and a 16 ga extractor on one end of the knife handle. Used that to pull fired cases from the chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by 300S&W View Post
    No Allen,I mean no extractor. There's not even a hole for the pin that holds the extractor assembly so it's not that the assembly is missing. I dunno!
    It sounds like it was skipped over on the Quality Control part of the line.
    Id call H&R and ask "***".
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?board=126.0

everything about NEF...ask them about the missing extractor

THANK YA Allen. Will do.