Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Change of plans/tent (Barney's to Cabelas?)

Default Change of plans/tent (Barney's to Cabelas?)

I just stopped by Barney's to put my money down on a bombshelter 10x10. Had been hashing it out for weeks and finally sold enough odds and ends to get it for this coming fall's hunt at Cold Bay. Money in hand and smile on my face. I knew that the tents were on order for July or August, no big deal hunts not until October, plenty of time. Then they told me that the 10 x 10 is not even going to be here this year. Glad I didn't have the money last week when I went in there looking. Now I am stuck trying to figure a tent out for this hunt. Was thinking of the Cabelas XWT, any info on this tent or any others that could hold up to the weather on the peninsula? Help is appreciated.

Wink Tents

I own 12 (?) Cabalas tents that I use in my gear rental business. They are great and cost effective. My hunters use them and most are very thankful as the weather up here can be just simply put Sh$##y.

I vote Cabelas!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Your best bet in Camps, Canoes and rafts.

Never used the XWT, but have put the Alaskan Guide through the worst this state has to offer...stayed dry every time!!

I'm not exactly one to jump on the Cabela band-wagon (the non-conformist in me)...but I seriously doubt you'll regret going that route

Default Arctic Oven

I don't have one, but there are quite a few people on here that swear by them. Might be a good option if they can get you one in time to meet your needs.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i looked at buying a few cableas tents.... the shipping on the ones i want doubled the cost of the tent...

call AK tent and tarp... get the OVENS!!! i think you'll be money ahead and they seem really great
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default XWT only way to go...

They have a lower profile than the bomb shelter so they take the wind better and are built just as well. Here's a pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a 12x12 bombshelter on craigslist - http://anchorage.craigslist.org/spo/1158496513.html
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Love my XWT!!!

Ive got an XWT and love it! I have spent many warm dry nights in the nastiest weather with it.

I haven't side by side compared them to the bomb shelter, but mine looks exactly like the pic of the bombshelter AKmud posted from CL, only my rain-fly is green not camo

Default why...

...and why are the 10X10 Bombshelters not going to be available?

dennis

Default don't know

but when I stopped in today they told me that there would be no 10 x 10's until next year. Didn't really have an answer as to why. I totally want to support the local guys especially when I know that their product is the best and has been tested by Alaska but pretty difficult when there is no supply of product. I truly value the experience in the help at Barney's and I hope that in the future when I need something that I will be able to give them my business. Cross my fingers that he gets his supply figured out. Hard to run a business when you don't have product to sell.

For the price range between the two tents mentioned, I have one word................................Hilleberg!

Pick the one you want, call em and it'll be at your doorstep in 3 days!

http://estore.websitepros.com/176479...category=Tents

Everything else is second best!

Default already looked at that

but to get a tent that three people would be comfortable in as well as able to stand up in you would have to go with their Atlas series which starts at 1500 and then goes up with extras i.e. vestibule floor saver, footprint. Out of our price range but would definitely be a very nice camp.

Gotcha on the standing up thing, but in my experience in places with extreme wind like the Peninsula, tents tall enough to stand up in are a recipe for disaster. I used my 6 man Alaskan Guide Tent on the Peninsula for a brown bear hunt, and the very feature you desire was our demise. Too much surface area exposed to extreme winds. We had winds in excess of 70 mph and we had to take turns for like 36 hours sitting on Action packers on the leeward side (though it liked changing directions the whole time it was blowing) to keep the tent from collapsing. I swore I'd never use that tent again in places that it blows hard regularly. Though I would go back there with a 4 man Guide tent, they arent as tall. Good luck in your quest, just some food for thought.

Guys,

I work at Barney part time for the time being. The issue I was told is with the company making them. Sigi Byron call Barney's monday and speak to the manager. His name is Jubal. He mentioned to me something about a customer coming in today and wishing he had known about a 10x10 that is upstairs. DO NOT HOLD THIS AS GOSPEL: but I THINK there's a 10x10 up stairs with a few missing parts that was mislabeled and just needs a few parts ordered in to be complete. I would deffinitely call in Monday when he and I are there. He will not be there this weekend and those working will likely be out of the loop. Good luck.

Brett

Just get an Arctic Oven and your troubles will be over.

As much as I want an AO I don't know if it would really be the ideal choice for this type of hunt. They are fantastic tents, hands down the best thing for winter shelter, I am just not sure that they would compete w/ a hilleberg or barneys tent for high wind driven rain like on the Pen in the fall. Does anyone have experiance w/ the AO in wind driven rain? There is a HUGE difference between the effect of dry wind or wind driven snow vs the energy of wind drive rain! The tent really needs to built with that specific purpose in mind. I can't speak to the Cabelas tents mentioned, they do get a lot of positive reviews though.

I own a 8x8 Bombshelter I purchased 15-16 years ago. The reason I purchased was the experience I had during a flyout
    Mulchatna caribou hunt.

My hunting partner had the tent from Barneys, we stayed in it for 13 days. We had the full gamut of weather during that time including 50-60 knot winds. During that time the tent barely even moved. I was sold right there. by the next hunting season I owned an 8x8 Bombshelter and have never looked back, regardless of the weather. It has proven it's money worth. And my wife is happy when she comes along hunting !

As to the Arctic oven, very nice set up. My Bro and Sis in-law own one so I have seen it action numerous times and had never heard a complaint from them. One thing to consider is it is very bulky and heavy complicating transportation somewhat, keep that in mind.

Default Cabelas Alaskan Guide

I really don't think that you can beat the Cabelas Alaskan Guide tent. It is not a backpacking tent but it is a bomb shelter. I have put mine thru the paces and have never regretted the purchase. It has allways kept me dry! As far as the shipping charge for the tent from Cabelas, Priority mail was inexpensive($19.00) if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Here is a 12x12 bombshelter on craigslist - http://anchorage.craigslist.org/spo/1158496513.html

Do you all think this is a good deal? I don't really need one but it is something I have always wanted. As my two boys get older I am sure I could put it to use in the near future.

Default Cabelas XWT?

Quote Originally Posted by Sigi Byron View Post
    ... Now I am stuck trying to figure a tent out for this hunt. Was thinking of the Cabelas XWT, any info on this tent or any others that could hold up to the weather on the peninsula? Help is appreciated.
    BRWNBR likes the XWT. Post#3: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=37029. Tried to find another post by BRWNBR; recall him as satisfied customer who's seen these tents get weather whipped but come out still standing -- ALASKACANOE also has XWTs among his rentals. You could PM either for more info.

More comments in "Cabelas tents, which one?" Guide vs XWT:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?p=30179

Check post#9 in this thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=50026

and #35: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=419793

Many favorable posts about Guide and XWTs. If I was planning to purchase either, I would order early enough to check tent out thoroughly and possibly exchange it, before my trip.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast