Thread: Riveted boat leaks

Question Riveted boat leaks

I have a Hewes River runner, mid 80's, taking on water and I suspect it is leaking past the rivets. Any suggestions or tips for tightening the rivets or sealing the hull? I plan on pulling the floor boards to replace the styrofoam anyways. I am getting quite a bit of water, the bilge pump will kick on every 15-30 min when on step. Thanks for any help.....

At that rate you have either a lot of leaky rivets....or you are missing one or three.

I'd get those boards out...put her in the water and then get a better idea of what areas are worse.

Tightening rivets is loud but pretty easy. Get a rivet tool (pneumatic or by hammer) and have someone hold a three pound hammer on the other side of the rivet...tap tap tap...move to the next one...and repeat.

My lund had such issues that I ended up replacing a half a strake and about 40 rivets. Those didn't leak, but the others (especially beneath the seats) did. I didn't want to rip out my seats for an old hull so I bought a gallon of Gluv It (100 bucks or so) and painted it on the bottom. It ain't pretty but it's indestructible (it's a two part epoxy basically) and now ti doesn't leak a drop, and the slick surface it created gave me 3 mph back. (it was an old set net boat so it was pretty beat to start with)

Either way, you've got an issue and had best look into it. I stood in ankle deep water in mine for about three years til i bit the bullet and painted her up...and am glad I did.

Gluv it? A bottom paint you can get at a marine store?

Default Deadrise

I also have a mid-80's River Runner. A few years ago it developed a leak similar to what you describe. I located the leak by running the garden hose into the boat while it was on the trailer. Once located, I took the boat down to the Boat Shop here in Fbks and they installed a new rivet. Its been good as new since.

Quote Originally Posted by kkivie View Post
    Gluv it? A bottom paint you can get at a marine store?

Paintable epoxy sealer seeks, fills and seals cracks in fiberglass, wood, aluminum and other metals. Remains flexible with hull movements. Truly a remarkable product that every boater should have. Gluvit barrier coat seals and protects hulls and decks. Provides superior protection for fiberglass, wood, aluminum, and steel. Seals leaky seams and rivets in aluminum hulls, and leaks around fiberglass cabins or decks.Hard protective coating flexes with hull movements to bridge and seal hairline cracks.

Specifications:

Gluvit fills minor cracks and pinholes. Its long working time allows penetration into cracks to seal and strengthen. Acts as a barrier coat to minimize water absorption and galvanic corrosion. Deteriorated wood can be renewed with a few strokes to penetrate and strengthen stringers, decking and molding.
    On wooden hulls, Gluvit seals and protects planks and sheeting against water absorption and damage from marine parasites. On aluminum hulls, Gluvit seals seams and rivets and acts as a barrier coat to minimize galvanic corrosion. On jet skis, rowboats and canoes, Gluvit provides abrasion resistance to protect hull sides and bottoms from damage by grounding on beaches or rocks.
    For maximum ultraviolet protection, Gluvit must be painted after cure. Before overcoating, lightly sand this waterproof epoxy sealer to ensure adhesion. Any pigmented epoxy, urethane, latex or alkyd base paint can be used to overcoat Gluvit. Available in 2 lb and 8 lb kits. Expect a quart of Gluvit to cover 25-35 square feet, when applied at 6-8 mils. A gallon covers 100-130 square feet at the same thickness.