Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halibut Limits, wow....

Default Halibut Limits, wow....

I figured putting a post up regarding the halibut limits might spark some conversation. Is cutting the limit down to 1 fish (as was announced yesterday from what I understand) going to cut this industry down? How much? Are charter prices going to drop at all? Would you pay $250+ for one fish? I sure as h377 won't. I know it is supposed to sustain the fishery for years to come. Got it. But one fish? Couldn't the fishery be maintained as well with size limitations, seasonal alterations etc? Just my ramblings....

Default Southeast only restriction?

I'm no expert at the regs but wasn't that just for the southeast? Hopefully not southcentral.

I'd like to know where that information is coming from. I cannot find anything on the ADF&G website for Emergency Orders or Press Releases as to this subject.

EDIT, found it in the newsminer:

It is for Southeast ONLY per the newsminer article: http://newsminer.com/news/2009/may/0...mit-1-halibut/

Had to do a good search to find it.

Default just southeast

I think it was on ktuu the other night.

Default Federal Rule

Quote Originally Posted by blybrook View Post
    I'd like to know where that information is coming from. I cannot find anything on the ADF&G website for Emergency Orders or Press Releases as to this subject.

EDIT, found it in the newsminer:

It is for Southeast ONLY per the newsminer article: http://newsminer.com/news/2009/may/0...mit-1-halibut/

Had to do a good search to find it.
    You won't find it on the ADF&G website because it is a federal rule not a state rule. The attached link has all the information:

http://fakr.noaa.gov/newsreleases/20...ibut050609.htm

Ouch! Does this apply to personl boats also? You know...you own a boat and go fishing kind of stuff.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Ouch! Does this apply to personl boats also? You know...you own a boat and go fishing kind of stuff.
    Nope. Charters in SE only

Quote Originally Posted by akkona View Post
    You won't find it on the ADF&G website because it is a federal rule not a state rule. The attached link has all the information:

http://fakr.noaa.gov/newsreleases/20...ibut050609.htm

Thanks for the update. The OP didn't have too much information, so I looked for it where I figured it would be first, ADF&G. Thanks for the link.

Don't worry boyz! It'll be a statewide limit before long!

Especially if unlimited/underegulated charter growth continues

Quote Originally Posted by steffco View Post
    Especially if unlimited/underegulated charter growth continues

and the long liners keep at it LOL

We can all be sure that the commercial quota will be reduced as well.

Actually the commercial impact isn't having a effect, thier quota is too small we should give them a few more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OptoKenai View Post

Actually the commercial impact isn't having a effect, thier quota is too small we should give them a few more!!!

Isn't that crazy? There was a pretty lengthy discussion on here awhile back regarding the commercial guys vs. recreational guys. Seems a little lopsided.

Default I predict

we wil be seeing full day charters going out at 8:00 pm returning at 5:00am next day.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Montana Bob,

That is one option. Another option would be to write letters and let voices be heard.

Quote Originally Posted by OptoKenai View Post

If you're not aware, the commercial quota in Southeast has been cut significantly in the past 3-4 years. They've taken cut after cut after cut.

I don't expect folks to be happy about the 1-fish bag limit on charters, but let's keep our facts straight.

What I don't understand is why, if halibut are a stock of concern, there is not a reduction in bag limit for individual boats????? Is it because local boats take out locals who can vote in Alaska and a good percentage of charter users ( I'm a local who uses charters every now and again because I don't have a salt water boat) who don't?

I have fought the battle for sportfish allocation but always from a preserve the habitat and preserve the resource point of view. If there is a concern about stocks than all sectors....commercial, charter and private boat anglers should all be limited. I realize that is a very unpopular position for a sportfisherman to take but is this issue about the resource or not?? If it is then lets all share the burden.

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    What I don't understand is why, if halibut are a stock of concern, there is not a reduction in bag limit for individual boats????? Is it because local boats take out locals who can vote in Alaska and a good percentage of charter users ( I'm a local who uses charters every now and again because I don't have a salt water boat) who don't?

I have fought the battle for sportfish allocation but always from a preserve the habitat and preserve the resource point of view. If there is a concern about stocks than all sectors....commercial, charter and private boat anglers should all be limited. I realize that is a very unpopular position for a sportfisherman to take but is this issue about the resource or not?? If it is then lets all share the burden.
    That is a very good question. I understand there has been signiicant growth in the charter sector but if the level of harvest of truely of concern then everyone tighten their belts. Divide and conquer is what is happening. If the charter industry get be beat down then focusing on private boaters will be next.

Another good question to be asking is what about sperm whale predation on longlines. The whales have been conditioned to eat the fish off the long line when they hear hydraulics. They consume thousands of pounds of fish off of miles of long lines. This removal from the fishery is not counted in any way. It is very likely that sperm whale are consuming as much halibut as the charter fleet is catching but that removal from the biomass is unreported. IF the longliners were so concerned about the health of the stocks they would not resist manditory video montoring of hauling operations. That way it could be easliy documented how many heads are coming up to the roller on every vessel..Just saying....IF we are going to be conservation minded then lets look at where every halibut is going....not just how much the charter fleet is catching.

Why wouldn't commercial fleet want video monitoring. They are very altruistic in their feeding of the masses and providing a low cost protien source. I would think it would be in their best interest and would garner more interest in their product if the videos were made public, kinda like Deadliest Catch. Heck, from what it sounds like, not only are they feeding millions of Americans, they are also saving the whales as well, it is a win-win for them. The public would love to know how hard they work in order to provide low cost fish to satisfy the public desire for halibut.

Well for one reason it's expensive. for another is really not needed.

On the whale predation idea........I thought it was a good question. I found this link to a study on sperm whale predation on Sablefish (blackcod). Sperm whales love eating sablefish, so I think it's a good comparision to halibut. Read it and see what you think.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast