Thread: 8wt. fly line suggestions...

Default 8wt. fly line suggestions...

I'm looking for new line to replace what I've previously been using the past 4 seasons (Tenny T-300). I'm primarily using it for sockeye and silvers....

Anyone have a suggestion?

Default Call me Cheap

If your main purpose is duc-a-chuck I just can't see spending big money on a fly line to chase Silvers and Sockeye.

I hate to go there but a standard S.I. Fairplay or a Cortland 333 normally under 30 bucks and if taken care can last for years.

If I was fishing more surface action for Silvers I might consider upgrading to a Rio, Teeny, Orvis or 444 / 555SL however I would still be hard pressed to spend the the extra money again unless I was going to be fishing certain areas for certain reasons with certain flies i.e. Poly-wogs, or skating large flies for silvers.

Blue Moose

I use one of those fancy Versatip lines. It costs a little coin but I dig it just because I can switch out the tips...

I have used Scientific Anglers "Wet Tip" type III and IV sink tips on my 8 wt and been very impressed with them. I have also used the Teeny T-300 and while it is a good line, I like casting the SA lines better. Below is a link...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...497&hasJS=true
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I've been pretty happy with this stuff in cold waters..

http://www.riverbum.com/Rio-Pike-Floating-Fly-Line/

Default Salt water line

I have tried dozens of different brands over the years, and by far the line that flat outperformed all the others and held up to abuse is the Scientific Anglers Mastery Series line Saltwater edition....

This line stays smooth and shoots through the guides very well, and because it's designed for a highly corrosive environment it holds up to abuse, i.e...no cracks after one season.

my .02

If you are going to skate flies or pop wogs for schooling silvers, I would buy a short (less than 40') head with lots of running line. The idea is to "machine gun" cast with fast strips and get your line right back out without a bunch of false casting. Lines with 60' head/bodies are designed to be cast and not left on the reel otherwise your rod won't load properly. You either need to upsize your fly line or stand in the weeds to arialize that much line. I think casters blame the wind far too often when a fly gets knocked down. You need grains to turn over grains! In my opinion, understanding fly line and selecting correctly is far more important than whether you have a full, mid or tip flex fly rod. I'm a fan of RIO Outbound lines and this year I'm going to try the Outbound Short on my 8wt. They cast very good close in and at distance and can chuck the heaviest of flies without wasted energy and time. The SA line Dan linked to fits the bill very well for sink tip work. Short heavy head with moderate belly length and long running line! You can also cut back old fly lines to remove the back taper (a grain scale is helpful) and add any one of the small diameter shooting lines.