Thread: What outboard is too big to pull start? Kicker charges battery?

Default What outboard is too big to pull start? Kicker charges battery?

I know that a small outboard can be easily pull-started using either a built-in pull, or using a rope. But what's too big to pull start? Also, if a kicker is the kind that is hard wired to a battery and has electric start, does that mean that if your batteries die and you pull-start and run you kicker that it will charge the batteries? Four-stoke engines in both cases.

Some kickers have alternators and can charge batteries, some don't. You'll have to look at the specs of the engine.

As far as how big of an engine you can pull start, it comes down to strength and determination. I've heard of 90's being pull started but I wouldn't recomend it.

You shouldn't have much trouble pull starting up to say a 25 horse.

Unhappy 90HP Honda too big

All I can add. I had one that had an emergency rope pull kit. I tried it once just to see. No way. It wouldn't budge and I weigh 250+. I have no idea why they include the rope kit. False sense of security if you ask me. I imagine the electric start kicker will charge the battery, but someone in the know should address that.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Question Compression release???

Big four-stroke motocross bikes have a compression release that must be engaged or it's impossible to kick start. I would check to see if the outboard motors have the same thing.???

Default kicker

Your kicker would need the wiring kit that goes back to the battery. On my Yam T9.9 I can electric start only without recharging kit, but can install the kit and have it charge it while running. "It is a whole other set of cables. I can pull start my 90 2-stroke, but that doesn't really apply to your 4-stroke. Good luck.

I have an Alumacraft Trophy with a Merc 9.9 Big Foot kicker electric start, it charges the batteries while trolling, no special wiring, has a 6 amp alternator, to pull start it requires some disassembly and the use of the emergency rope, real cumbersom
    I'm in the process installing a Suzuki 9.9T on my Ocean Pro, it has all the same features with the exception of, the alternator is 12 amp and the pull start is built in with the pull handle sticking thru the front of the engine cover ready for use if the battery is down. I'll be able to use it to charge batteries while trolling or to support the house battery while at anchor.
    The Suzuki pull start only model has a 6 amp alternator so if you opt this motor be sure to get the electric start model with the 12 amp alternator.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    All I can add. I had one that had an emergency rope pull kit. I tried it once just to see. No way. It wouldn't budge and I weigh 250+. I have no idea why they include the rope kit. False sense of security if you ask me. I imagine the electric start kicker will charge the battery, but someone in the know should address that.
    I am 6'4'' and 300lbs. i used to play football and i pulled a 70hp Yamaha once. The Key word is ONCE. there was 2 of us on the rope and we wanted to see if we could do it. We got it to turn over once and then quit having never started it. I think we had a few in us and could have started it if we HAD TO.

Why is that anyway?
    I mean, i can pull over a 900CC 150 Hp snowmobile with a pull start, so why not a smaller outboard? There is no gear reduction on the sled engine, and those big HP sled twins have big time compression, you would think that a 4 cyclinder 115, say, would turn over easy

It must really depend on the motor I know a guy who is not real big and he can pull his 100 horse 4 stroke yammy with out to much problem

I used to rope start my old (1985)115 hp Evinrude all the time.

No BS, it took 2 people, one at the throttle and one pulling the rope, but the thing pulled over about as hard as pulling a snowmachine.

Default No newer EFI's

A lot of newter EFI two and four strokes require 12 volts from your battery to run, there is no possibility of pull starting these with a dead battery. Once your kicker gets the battery charged you would be fine, but these EFI motors will shut off if battery voltage is interrupted while they are running. I've know people that have pull started older V6 2 strokes, but they usually have a lot of inspiration, ie spending the night in some remote place unprepared if the motor doesn't start.

Quote Originally Posted by Akfish1 View Post
    A lot of newter EFI two and four strokes require 12 volts from your battery to run, there is no possibility of pull starting these with a dead battery. Once your kicker gets the battery charged you would be fine, but these EFI motors will shut off if battery voltage is interrupted while they are running. I've know people that have pull started older V6 2 strokes, but they usually have a lot of inspiration, ie spending the night in some remote place unprepared if the motor doesn't start.

Inspiration... In the Marines we called that MOTIVATION LOL.

I can easily pull start my 90 hp Honda 4-stroke - - not a problem and does not require a major effort. I wouldn't want to do it in 4 to 5 foot seas though.

I pull started a 90 Yami 2-stroke last November. I had a lot of "inspiration" as we were in a blizzard in an open skiff 15+ miles out in PWS with dead batteries. One pull and she started.
    I have had to pull start a 50 yami 4-stroke, no problem at all.

I pull staated a Johnsom 88 Special with jet .The motivation, being 80 miles upriver and knowing there was no one farther upstream. One pull with parachute cord.
    Incidentally, I started it dead cold the next morning. It was 19 degrees. Two pulls that time. Now I carry a honda generator with the battery charging cord. Only 8 amps, but it works.
    Haven't tried the Honda, yet.