Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talley Lightweights vs. standard Leupolds

Default Talley Lightweights vs. standard Leupolds

I wanted to get everyone's opinion on the following. If you were building a lightweight sheep hunting rifle in .280 Rem, would you prefer standard Leupold rings/bases (not dual dovetail) or the Talley lightweights? The store I bought the gun from only had the Leupolds, so I went ahead and got them, but I'm thinking maybe ordering the Talley's online is the way to go since obviously weight is a concern on a sheep rifle. Oh, the Talley's are $12 cheaper, too, if I return the Leupolds. What do you think?

Default 338-06 Ate

My Leupold Mounts up in 40 rounds. My Cooper 338-06 came standard with Lupy bases so my smith used lupy rings , sorry to say they did not last. Now I got Talleys holdin my Scmidt @Bender down and have not had a problem since.

Simple online ordering and sounds like Talley has a heck of a warranty

CapnJack

Default How much...

weight difference is there? I have always used the Leupolds without any problems on everything from my 264 win mag up to my 338wm, 358 Norma, and 375 Ruger. They work for me.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I have a custom 257 WBY built on a 700 action. I did several weight saving steps, one was switching to the one-piece, lightweight Talleys from Leupolds. The Talleys are great, but I also don't mess with them. I'm not sure how well their component metal would hold up to repeated removal and retightening, so I'm not pushing it. The scope that I mounted is staying on that rifle.

Doc

There's no comparison, really. The Leupold's base setup sucks, and badly. Honestly, who would want a windage adjustment screw on a scope base? Makes no sense.

Talley lightweights are pretty much all I use. The best designs use the least number of parts. None of my rifles were paticularly built as lightweights, I just wanted a solid simple way to mount the scope.

And if I was building a lw sheep rifle, I'd make it a 7-08 or 7WSM.

Default Talleys

They have the talleys at boondocks sporting goods in Eagle river.

The Talleys are the way to go. I put the lightweight Talleys on every rifle I own if they are made for the rifle.
    I really dislike Leupolds mounts. The idea of that big screw head on both sides of the rear mount looks hideous. Besides, try finding a screw driver big enough to fit it so the slot does not get "buggered" up.
    Tennessee

Default Talleys are the best

I put Talley Lightweights on all my rifles. Kimbers, Rems. and Winchesters.
    Why fool with a windage adjustment - just something else to work loose!
    Tighten the base screws to 30 inch/lbs and the caps screws to 20 inch/lbs. and that's it!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    There's no comparison, really. The Leupold's base setup sucks, and badly. Honestly, who would want a windage adjustment screw on a scope base? Makes no sense.
    It does if the mounting hole alignment on your rifle is yakked up so badly you can't compensate with your scope's windage adjustments.
    Now what ?

The windage adjustment is nice if you use turtles to dial the wind for long range shooting. You can set the scope at mechanical zero and use the mount to get your "no wind" zero then lock it down. From there you have the full mechanical range of the scope to dial the right or left wind once you have the wind doped. Itís something most guys will never take the time to actuley learn (myself included) so itís a wasted feature and just in the way for most.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

If you want rings and bases that are going to rust at even the idea of moisture then I would definately get the Leupolds. I hate Leupold bases. After one trip out you're guaranteed to have a nice rust ring on your rifle around the bases.

I've started putting Talleys on all my rifles. They look good, hold up well, are light weight and don't rust like others do.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Talley lightweights are pretty much all I use. The best designs use the least number of parts. None of my rifles were paticularly built as lightweights, I just wanted a solid simple way to mount the scope.

And if I was building a lw sheep rifle, I'd make it a 7-08 or 7WSM.
    Now that's logic I can agree with. I have Talleys on one rifle currently, but will replace my others with Talleys soon. Love em.

Unbridled Beast

I've a few dozen sets of LW's and dig them in general.

Definately talley LW. Just make sure you lap them in. If you have a set of scope mount holes that are mess up a better solution would be to redrill and tap or use burris dual turn in rings with the shim inserts.

I have had two leupold adjustable bases fail on me, one broke out the screw adn snapped a scope in half on a tumble down a hill. might have broke either way but the other rifle I had wad dual turn in rings and it didnt' even change zero, and that rifle broke the stock in half.

Unbridled Beast

As a rule,LW's set the bar for concentricity.

What they can't do,is "fix" bridge height woes or similar issues. Windage adjustable bases are easily amongst the poorest designs of all time.

Just tried to install a set of Talley LW's on my wife's Montana Rifle Company .308. They fit really nice but they are so high I was not able to get her scope dialed in elevation wise. This is the first rifle I ever had a problem with.
    As much as I hated to I installed a set of Leupold mounts I had laying around and they worked nicely. At some point in time I will most likely replace them with Warne bases and rings.
    Tennessee

I went ahead and put talley's on my weatherby and immediately decided from here on out that talley's are all I will buy.

Default went with the Talley's

Just an update, I went with the Talley's. Seems really solid, and saved money to boot...

Good call. I started out with Kimber bases and Leupold rings on my Kimber and then switched out to the Talleys. Much Mo Betta!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast