Thread: Revolver holster

Default Revolver holster

I'm getting a Ruger bisley in 45 colt and the barrel is 7 1/2. I plan to use this for some hunting and would like to get anyones thoughts on holsters they like. The cross draw's look like they work well but at this time I'm still interested in your thoughts.

The pancake is as good as it gets for a waste belt holster.
    http://www.simplyrugged.com/

Or for fishing and other reasons you may want it a bit higher up the Guides Choice.
    http://davidjohnstonleather.com/Pages/GuidesChoice.html

Both guys make great leather holsters. I would stay away from the Cordura/nylon stuff in our wet climate.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Ya, +1 on the Simply Rugged Pancake. I just got one for my 4 inch 45 Redhawk. I like that it can be used either cross draw or strong side. Or, with the chesty puller straps if a guy wants. I didn't buy those.

Quote Originally Posted by FB Don View Post
    I'm getting a Ruger bisley in 45 colt and the barrel is 7 1/2. I plan to use this for some hunting and would like to get anyones thoughts on holsters they like. The cross draw's look like they work well but at this time I'm still interested in your thoughts.
    Nice gun. I usually like the Guide's Choice holster (http://davidjohnstonleather.com/Pages/GuidesChoice.html) for guns 3 lbs and up. 'That said, a good belt would let you wear it on your hip all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Ya, +1 on the Simply Rugged Pancake. I just got one for my 4 inch 45 Redhawk. I like that it can be used either cross draw or strong side. Or, with the chesty puller straps if a guy wants. I didn't buy those.
    +3 on the Simply Rugged Holsters. I own a few and would buy them all over again even if they doubled in price. They are great no frills holsters. Tougher than nails and fit like a glove WITHOUT breaking the bank

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Dave Johnston also makes a Bandoleer Holster with belt.

My wife has one. If you're interested in cross-draw, it would be preferable, being a little higher up, closer to the front, out of the way, more comfortable, and easier to grab onto than one hanging down on your belt.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smile big gun....

That is a big hogleg for sure. I think one of those cross draw or across the chest holsters would be a good way to carry it. Look at the Mernickle cross draw holster with the bear paw on it also. I have one for a little J Frame S&W .22. It is not cheap and looks good! Galco makes a good cross draw holster that is a copy of the old Jackass Leather Goods holster. I carry a 4" N Frame S&W in one. But, the Simply Rugged and Diamond D Holsters have a good reputation and are Alaskan made! A guy can't have to many good quality holsters.

Default Thanks

to all. I've got some idea's now I need to decide what I like the best.

Snyd,

I think we met at Frontier Outfitters here in Fairbanks about a week ago. We talked of the bisley frame and I remember you saying that you had not handled one and would like to try it. They have a Blackhawk Hunter Bisley in a 44 if you go back you could handle standard and the bisley back to back to see if you like it.

When I get my gun I will post some pics and let people know how the old 45 stands up against the naysayers. I've already started some home work about the case not being as strong as the 44 case. One phone call and that myth was put to bed. For now all I will say is the manufacture I talked to said to cut both case's in half and you will have the answer. As things get going I will start a new thread and show all aspects of my experiences with the 45 Colt. (I already Know I will be Happy)

Gunblast.com has a great review on your gun and addresses the comparison to a .44

If you are a hand loader the 45 will always best the 44 due to case volume. Most factory loads for the 45 are down loaded so they are safe in old black powder 45s but the round has more potential in the case and bullet than a 44. You made a good pick.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    A guy can't have to many good quality holsters.
    You're probably right about that.

At least, I'd like to think so. That helps me justify having 2 holsters for my S&W 44, and 3, for my Wather PPK 380. I'll stop right there.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by FB Don View Post
    to all. I've got some idea's now I need to decide what I like the best.

Snyd,

I think we met at Frontier Outfitters here in Fairbanks about a week ago. We talked of the bisley frame and I remember you saying that you had not handled one and would like to try it. They have a Blackhawk Hunter Bisley in a 44 if you go back you could handle standard and the bisley back to back to see if you like it.

When I get my gun I will post some pics and let people know how the old 45 stands up against the naysayers. I've already started some home work about the case not being as strong as the 44 case. One phone call and that myth was put to bed. For now all I will say is the manufacture I talked to said to cut both case's in half and you will have the answer. As things get going I will start a new thread and show all aspects of my experiences with the 45 Colt. (I already Know I will be Happy)
    Ya, I remember Don. Cool. You'll be happy with the 45 Colt. You can launch heavier bullets than the 44 at less pressure at same velocity. I spent a couple hours at the range yesterday shooting mine and my Super Blackhawk and Puma 92 454/45 Colt. My buddy is wanting to buy a handgun so I was letting him shoot several different loads in both the 44 mag and 45 Colt. Here are some of the results http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=54354 Bottom line is 360gr WFNGC at 1155fps from a 4 inch barrel. I shot some hotter loads with 315gr all using Starline brass. 1232 fps. Either of these loads in your 7.5 barrel should pick up quite a bit of velocity I would think. Modern brass for the 45 Colt can handle the pressure and Hodgon has Ruger Only load data for the hot loads. Let me know when you start working up loads and head to the range. It would be interesting to chrony some of our loads in the 4 inch and 7.5 inch barrels for comparison.

I shot up some 44mag Federal Factory 300gr Cast Core rounds. Looks pretty good actually for factory loads. I've got some 300gr Cast Performance boolits to load for it. Here are the chrony results from the 7.5 inch barreled super blackhawk.

1379 avg

If we could get a 360gr bullet in the 44mag I wonder what it would do in a 4 inch barrel. 315gr w/ 22gr H110 handloads in 45 Colt, 4 inch barrel were 1232 for 5 rounds and is not a max load in the Ruger. I could probably wring a little more out of it with 23gr. Linebaugh load data: 310 GR. LEAD SWC H-110 23 1330 FPS 30,000CUP. I bet the load I have at 22gr would hit 1330 in you 7.5 Blackhawk.

I attached a great article by Linebaugh titled: The .45 Colt - Dissolving the Myth, Discovering the Potential
    Attached Files Attached Files