Thread: Rainbow Peak (with pics)

Thumbs up Rainbow Peak (with pics)

My wife and I went down to Rainbow Peak last Sunday (May 3rd) to go for an early season hike. We didn't plan on going to the summit, but it was a beautiful day with unseasonably warm temps, so we ended up going further than we planned because it was just so darn nice out.

This picture was taken from about 1,000' up, just after breaking out onto the ridge from the initial trail that winds through the forest from its start on the Seward Highway just a little past McHugh Creek.

A nice spot for a rest.

After following the ridge a ways, we traversed to the right quite a ways, then worked our way up this shale covered slope.

My wife has a goat permit for this coming fall, so it pleased me greatly to see her so comfortable in the rocks on this climb.

Needless to say, the view from the summit of Rainbow Peak is nothing short of spectacular.

Sweet, it certainly was awesome on sunday. I was a few miles away doing the same thing. I hope you guys bring home a goat this Fall.

Looking in the other direction towards Ptarmagin Peak and the Suicide Peaks.

A cheesy self-portrait on the way back down the mountain. From this point we could see that the Seward Highway was closed and backed up for miles, so we took our time.

All told, we were on the mountain for about 5 hours, including a fair amount of dilly-dallying. We met a handful of people on the trail at the base of the mountain, but once on the ridge we only passed one solo hiker and a group of 4. What a great day!

Nice pics Brian!!!

Makes me want to get home all the more before we use up all the nice weather we'll get for this summer.

Thanks for the pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Nice pics Brian!!!

Makes me want to get home all the more before we use up all the nice weather we'll get for this summer.

Thanks for the pics.
    yeah you think your missing AK....

Great pics and looks like an awesome early season trip!

Wow nice photo's, thanks for sharing them. I see a Photo of Six Mile Valley, can't see my cabin however, could you scurry back up tomorrow, and take some telephotos of Six Mile Valley.....

Nice views from up there!

Great pictures with some wonderful views...thanks for posting them. Darn good looking wife too, hikes, hunts, congratulations.