Thread: Diagnosis needed.... salmon dermatology?

Default Diagnosis needed.... salmon dermatology?

OK all you bio types on the board... nerka, akkona, aktally, others I don't know.....

Check out the attached fish and give me your best shot at what happened to this fish. Ever seen that in your career?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Looks like it was in a net at one time in its life and then healed.

Yes, obviously injured and healed.... but there's more.

Look at the coloration and pattern of the regenerated skin. Notice anything peculiar?
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

Default spots on the belly/inverted healing pattern

I'd say this fish got mangled somehow in early life. It seems as though it healed a long time ago. Maybe skin was torn and flapping and and ended up reattaching in the unusual location resulting in spots that should be on the back, but are down lower on the flank of the fish. Kind of an accidental skin graft.

Default what drainage?

Damage from going through turbines? Damage from a predatory attack? who knows.

Doc,
    When working at private non-profit hatcheries in PWS we saw all kinds of crazy scars... A commercial fishing friend that I worked w/ when I was younger explained it very well...

Tuna are like the 2009 carbon corvettes of the ocean... If you crash on they are mangled...

Salmon are like the 1978 ford galaxy they can be in a very destructive scrap and they just keep on going...

The ocean wounds heal quite well and quite often big wounds will have area's where there is just cartilage and the scales are not even replaced... Often fish are disfigured and look mangled, but somehoe they survive.

We see lots of seal and whale (beluga) bites in Bristol Bay...they are usually all across the body like the one you show...but often look a little fresher that that one. Looks like a healed up boo boo....and a rough one at the time.

Is the pattern the same on the other side?

Default botched tummy tuck

Ok Doc spill the beans. What do you think?

I think he's referring to the healed skin portions of the scar and how it matches the coloration and pattern of the skin on its back.

Quote Originally Posted by Charholio View Post
    I'd say this fish got mangled somehow in early life. It seems as though it healed a long time ago. Maybe skin was torn and flapping and and ended up reattaching in the unusual location resulting in spots that should be on the back, but are down lower on the flank of the fish. Kind of an accidental skin graft.
    My thoughts exactly.

If you look carefully at the title of the attached pic, I referred to it as an autograft.

I was just wondering if any of the AK bios had ever seen anything like that before. My first in over 35 years chasing these critters!
    The KeenEye MD

The path of the wound is one of the spots that gillnets commonly hang up on salmon,,,depending on the size of the web & the size of the fish. It looks like the salmon lived long enough to heal up before succumbing to something else! Here is a picture of a red salmon from Bristol Bay a few years ago that had a boo-boo heal up only to get caught in a net again later in his life.

AH... the infamous hare-lip salmon!

In the PNW, it always seems to spark the same joke:

What did the fish say when he rammed his nose into the concrete?

"DAM!"

Seriously though, I've seen that deformity in chinook, coho, and steelhead.

Heard lots of explanations, but no definitive diagnosis.

The most plausible one is a genetic defect that causes the snout malformation... kind of like in humans with mid-face hypoplasia.
    The KeenEye MD

Looks like a gill net scar to me.