Thread: SAIGA 12 guage.

Default SAIGA 12 guage.

I am so happy I just had to tell someone who cared (my wife said unless it has a Gucci sling, she isn't interested) So I thought I would share it with you guys. Anyone else have one on here? I plan on doing a few litte things to it for function and to make it complian for the 12 round clip I plan on packing with it. I have been contimplating what to get to fill this roll and after checking them out, I was sold. Pics are coming...

I have one and it was the best investment. I love how smoothly it shoots slugs. If you put on a magazine larger than 5 rounds (I think, I know larger than 8 for sure) requires 922r compliance. Which means you can have no more than 10 foreign made parts on your Saiga. I would recommend if you keep the stock trigger grouping, replacing the buttstock and adding a pistol grip. If you decide to move the trigger grouping, a pistol grip and at least a Tapco collapsible stock are a must (most people choose folding stocks). For any questions go to http://forum.saiga-12.com/, they have everything under the sun. Worst case scenario, I'll be in AK on sunday and if you need help with ANYTHING, I'll be on the Kenai Peninsula, so shoot me a pm, or give me a call.

Here's mine, had it converted by Tromix a couple years ago:
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

If you do decide to convert it, these helped me out:
    http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance
    http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/index.htm

FYI It took me 2 hours to convert my saiga, but I did a lot of screwing off. It should have only taken about 30min - 1hr.

edit: If you have a threaded barrel, you have 14 imported parts, but if it's a non-threaded barrel it's only 13 parts.
    On that gunwiki list saiga 12s lack a mounting block (front trunion) and pistol grip from the factory.
    Last edited by zaxon; 05-08-2009 at 12:25. Reason: forgot some info

I love mine, it's just too much fun. The only thing I've added was 10 round AGP mags. It still has the rifle stock it came with and threaded barrel 19". I would like to do a full conversoin but don't have the tech to do it, or the cash to have Tromix do it, any sugestions? Would like to do the full meal deal AK style moving the trigger group forward and all. I thought these were 922 compliant upon import?

AKPacker, way too cool. Nice piece.

I did my conversion with a hammer, a cordless drill, screwdrivers, and a punch.

When saigas are imported, they are in a "sporting configuration" and don't have to follow 922r. However, when you put in a mag exceeding 5 rounds, you stepped on to the feds turf and have abide by it.

Default YUP

Ak Packer, I like it! Zaxon, I have joined the Saiga forum and wen I picked up the gun I wash showed the easiest parts to change out to make it 922 compliant and he gave me a couple printouts to what sites have all the goodies.
    Last edited by mntmaster; 05-08-2009 at 14:10. Reason: because I can.

Default Saiga Love

Just love the Saiga now I have 2 12ga, 2 in .223 and one in .308 the best bang for the buck we have a bunch conversions at the club.
    Ted Kennedy’s car has killed more people than my gun!

Quote Originally Posted by AKPacker View Post
    Here's mine, had it converted by Tromix a couple years ago:
    I dont suppose I'd be able to take a look at that at the range sometime? A buddy of mine is trying to get one but doesnt know the pros/cons of it.

I have converted 5 now and they are very fun to shoot and work on.It will only take a few hours for your first one, but with power tools, drill press and a bench grinder should only take about 1.5-2 hrs good luck and congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by North Polar View Post
    I dont suppose I'd be able to take a look at that at the range sometime? A buddy of mine is trying to get one but doesnt know the pros/cons of it.
    I'd be happy to let you shoot it sometime. Unfortunately, I'll be in Anchorage all summer for work, but I'll be back in Fairbanks in late August if you still want to check it out then.
    Anything worth fighting for is worth fighting dirty for.

Default I have the .410

And my dad has the 12 guage. excellent shooting pieces of equipment, have a slow motion video of me shooting the 12 where I shot a 5 gallon bucket of water with a slug, and got seven rounds off before the last drop hit the ground, it is a nice toy for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AKPacker View Post
    I'd be happy to let you shoot it sometime. Unfortunately, I'll be in Anchorage all summer for work, but I'll be back in Fairbanks in late August if you still want to check it out then.
    Thanks for the heads up should he still be considering one I'll have to get a hold of you. (not to mention i need to find a decent gunsmith in town should get get one. I sure as heck aint doin the 922r compliant crap on my own.)

Quote Originally Posted by EvilBlackGun View Post
    I have converted 5 now and they are very fun to shoot and work on.It will only take a few hours for your first one, but with power tools, drill press and a bench grinder should only take about 1.5-2 hrs good luck and congratulations.
    I'm not knocking you, or anyone for that matter, but I did it in an apartment with only a hand drill, a punch, a hammer and a battery powered grinder in about 2 hours while watching TV.

On an exciting note, I just got my magwell on my saiga 12, so I might be the only person in this state with a JD Travers magwell. I'll post pics this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by zaxon View Post
    I'm not knocking you, or anyone for that matter, but I did it in an apartment with only a hand drill, a punch, a hammer and a battery powered grinder in about 2 hours while watching TV.

On an exciting note, I just got my magwell on my saiga 12, so I might be the only person in this state with a JD Travers magwell. I'll post pics this weekend
    Whats the difference between the magwells?

Quote Originally Posted by North Polar View Post
    Whats the difference between the magwells?
    I'm not sure if I'm addressing the question correctly, but these are the type of magwell I'm refering to, so here goes:

There are two magwells on the market that let you put in mags almost like an AR. I haven't seen an izmash magwell, but I know that they can only use their extremely expensive and hard to find 8 round magazines. Plus the only place I have found their magwell and magazines is a british website. The current JD Travers magwell takes AGP mags with little modification, only the front lug has to be sanded off. Travers is currently working on a surefire magwell that is in the beta testing phase.

Izmash Magwell:
    http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-deact_magazines.htm

JD Travers Magwell:
    http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?showtopic=33243&st=0

go figure.

Oh i was wondering, my buddy just picked up his saiga today. Do you know of any good gunsmiths to do the 922r stuff in town?

Default Gunsmith ? - Anchorage/Valley

Same as above, but looking for a gunsmith that can do S-12 conversions in Anchorage or the Valley.

I too have a S-12 (love it) but want to do the conversion (PG, folding stock, etc.) I've spent a bunch of time on the Saiga forum, but drilling on my baby scares me a bit.

Thanks!

Lou @ Ammo Can Guns on Spenard rd has done conversions in the past.... FYI

- Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)=°°=)_)