Thread: Motor Mounter

Red face Motor Mounter

Anyone have some good suggestions on a reliable outfit to swap out motors for me and plug up the old holes? Finally got a good used 4 stroke to replace the 2. Both have remote controller and steering. Might try it myself but it would probably cost me more money in the long run fixing my mistakes.

Kenai/Soldotna area

Thanks
    Mike

Default Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Sterlingmike View Post
    Anyone have some good suggestions on a reliable outfit to swap out motors for me and plug up the old holes? Finally got a good used 4 stroke to replace the 2. Both have remote controller and steering. Might try it myself but it would probably cost me more money in the long run fixing my mistakes.

Kenai/Soldotna area

Thanks
    Mike
    I'm fairly sure that the Boating Industry of America standardized mounting holes for outboards long ago. Every time I have upgraded on various boats I have found the holes to be the same. Just use plenty of silicone when you put in your new bolts.

If you don't want to do the swap-out yourself, Dan Paulk does that kind of stuff for e very reasonable price. He's in the phone book.

Default sayak

Thanks. I may call him. The bottom holes might line up, but the new motor needs top holes, not screw clamps like on the old one. Previous owner had a couple bolt holes already in the transom. Don't line up with either motor.

M

Thumbs up 5200 Sealant

They sell at home depot or lowes. It's far superior to silicone. About $12 a tube though.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default I agree, Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    They sell at home depot or lowes. It's far superior to silicone. About $12 a tube though.
    The 5200 is vastly superior.

Mike, find a dowel a little smaller than your bolt holes (1/16-3/32 smaller) and make some pins about an inch longer than the thickness of the transom. Bevel one end of each with a sander. Coat the pins liberally with sealant, then pound them in with a mallot. Most of the sealer will come off, but enough will get in to prevent seepage and rot. Disk sand them to flush, and put a smear of sealant over the ends. You can also use bolts the same way with rubber gaskets on each end under a washer if it doesn't interfere with your install. Use sealant on these too.

Thumbs up sayak

I took your advice and called Dan Paulk. I dropped the boat and motors off at his place today. I'll let you know how it goes. Seemed like a good guy. I like doing business with smaller operations that you can depend on.
    Thanks for the advice.

M

Talking Motor Work

Picked up the boat from Dan Staub today. He swapped the motors for me, had to redo holes, did some motor work for me, and routed cables,etc. Great job for a reasonable price. I would reccomend him to anyone in the area that needs some motor work done. He's about to go on a black bear hunt so may not be around for a few days, but don't hesitate to call him to have any work done. Good guy. Support a good small local business. I'm finally ready to fish!

Mike