Thread: what flys would you suggest

Default what flys would you suggest

I'm trying get tackle together for my August trip to Alaska , could you guys give me some idea of what flys to take with me , it will be the middle of August on the Willow and Montana creek .From what I have heard the pinks , silvers and chum are what were after , and I don't have much info on the flys to use .Any rainbows or dolly varden would be great also .

Egg sucking leech (get multiple colors) has been king for salmon in that area for me. I have gone super cheap and just glued egg beads on gami hooks, tied them with egg loops and just brought different colors of plain old yarn. Simply run the yarn through the egg loop and change as necessary.

For the trout: egg patterns and flesh flies.

Have a great trip.

Thanks akshrop , so many different patterns out there and I know how easy it is to drop 50..00 to 100.00 bucks at the fly tackle shop . That will get me started , is there any of the salmon mentioned that will hit a dry fly ??

Quote Originally Posted by chugbug View Post
    Thanks akshrop , so many different patterns out there and I know how easy it is to drop 50..00 to 100.00 bucks at the fly tackle shop . That will get me started , is there any of the salmon mentioned that will hit a dry fly ??

Not really. You might get the one weirdo that will hit it but I would not use that method. I have been fishing up here 27 years and can count on 0 fingers how many salmon have hit a dry fly. Then again I have never seen anyone try it. I have had silvers hit my beadhead princess nymph a couple of times but they are more of an ESL fly like shrop said. Streamers too but you will get a ton more info here in the next week or two that will help you out on the valley streams. Im a Kenai peninsula guy
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Limit your Flies..Your timing is right!www.irideus.com

August is a great time to plan what may be your best fishing journey ever. Being as you will be fishing the creek your work will be made even more simple. You will see the fish attack and deny your flies, so choosing is easy. Say black in the morning and lime green in the afternoon. As mentioned the egg sucking leech in black or purple . The silvers do not eat once in the river system yet they do devour any eggs seen to limit competition with there fry. You can find burgandy, red in an egg or cluster will get great strikes. You can, as mentioned, also find dark red yarn and fabricate a trips worth of egg flies with a few hooks and your wifes sewing kit. You may also find pleasure in making your own flies. Get some #4 better quality hooks, flashabou and some sinthetic hair. I drop 5.5 or 6 cone heads on. I choose purple cerise hair some flashabou and if I am feeling like usual, tie off a rabbit or squirl strip for a tail. The bunny strip adds some volume to the fly. You will find many great looking flies at the store, hit the water and do the wet cat.
    Trip Picks
    18 red home tied yarn eggs.(you will need to add lead shot to match flow)
    18(4 to give the local kids!)as described slide on conehead weight
    tie bunny strip pink, cherise, or purple on back of hook
    fold purple,pink,cherise,black,or lime hair, flash some marabou if your feeling spendy..just mix the colors and blend even in two. Tie the folded end behind the conehead spreading hairs as best you can. Its the contrast that makes it. Try at least 3 colors together..you can do this.
    The timing will asure you will be catching. Your flies may look rough yet a little liquid electric tape for head cement to make up for your first tie. You will find that the flies you made will make the pinks and silvers fight over..well you will see. Just remember the backing thing..and did I mention broken rod syndrom. Bring an extra because its a trip breaker to have your stuff get snapped by the silver muscle of the fall. You will miss the pinks this year they do not show every year. But never be to good to sight fish pinks. I have become the steelhead fisherman I am by feeling the pinks take the fly. You feel almost nothing as some of the best steelhead I have ever hooked. So practice and its fun to sharpen your skills for more challenging water.
    So get good gear rod ,reel, polorized glasses two pairs, Buy a spool of maxima 15lb leader, just cut 8 foot lengths and change a few times a day or more.
    Buy a few of my fly boxes if you want, great Alaskan home for those flies. My company makes some small ones for eggs beads and swivels..whoops forgot..use a swivel at all times the twisting silvers will humble even the best without a swivel on. Anyway my design, the Greenwater, was made for these large homemade streamers.Fleece base layers,rain gear, try the sst jacket by Patagonia if you want a 15 year jacket. The stuff they make is worth taking on a trip if it does not save your life from the cold. . Get gore tex socks even if you have no leaks. Bears will also be there so be smart and get educated about rolling with them. Good luck making those flies..and do not forget some black wooly buggers or minnow patterns for the steelhead near by!
    Good Fishing,
    Tim Horner
    IRIDEUS
    www.irideus.com
    So the moral of the story is invest in your reel and drag because you will need them both.

Ditto the extra rod(s) and reel(s). The dogs can really fight. I have had my rod snap down there before. You can also hook into so many that you can actually get worn out. That is the only place (when the dogs were thick) that I actually simply could not face another hook up and left the water to rest. I had a dog chew a hole through my neo-waders once. Strangest thing I ever saw. He smashed into me and the current held him against my knee. He just got mad I guess and started chewing. Weirdest thing I ever saw.

Lots of fun to be had there, enjoy.

I have yet to see a bear down there. Don't know why, but I have never seen one there.

GREAT info guys , I appreciate it , can't wait, sounds like it will be a good time !! I would love to get tired of catching fish !!!!