Thread: Bait barrel chain

Default Bait barrel chain

When securing your bait barrel, what size chain do you use to stop the bears from stealing it.

I have always used a 1/4 inch, however, I saw a bait barrel the other day that was secured with a 1/8 chain, which I don't believe is strong enough.

Just curious.

Thanks

I think 1/4" is fine, but go through the barrel, not around it.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I never have used chain. I use heavy duty cargo ratchet straps w/ a plastic barrel. Not as heavy & they both flex when the big boys start rocken on them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    I never have used chain. I use heavy duty cargo ratchet straps w/ a plastic barrel. Not as heavy & they both flex when the big boys start rocken on them.

I USED too...

straps are cut easy with tooth and claw... barrels disappear..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Guess I am one lucky SOG. Have yet to have that happen or have a barrel taken off a tree like the keg on the other post. I am talking 7-10,000 lb straps. I have even used 5/50 cord to secure the lids on & have yet to see them pop it. One thing is for sure chain is a bit tuff to chew on. Best of luck.

Vince

What size chain do you use.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

1/4 -3/8 what ever is lay ing around, i wont use anything that i would not hook to my truck to pull it out of a hole. .. if my 40-50 lb dog can break one a 800-1000lb grizz and steal my drum.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here