Thread: Garmin vs Raymarine navigation electronics

Default Garmin vs Raymarine navigation electronics

Basically what the title says. These two brands seem to be comparable in price, quality and features. Any first had experience.

I'm looking at the whole works - networking with Auto Pilot and Volvo Penta, Radar, Plotter, Sounder, remotes, etc...

Thanks!

I have a Raymarine plotter/radar combo, a Garmin stand alone GPS, and a stand alone Garmin sounder, all are great! I would look to the service end of the two, who sells them, who gives the best deal, who will work on them, warranties, etc. Both brands are excellent.

Default love my garmin

I have never used a raymarine but my garmin works great. I have a radar, chartplotter,sounder combo and my sounder in particular has really made a difference. -I see more fish.

We had a Ray marine E-120 and a ray marine E-80( in the aft steering) on our last boat and liked them so much we chose the E-120 on our new one. Get the platinum chip instead of the gold for the 3-d mapping and lots of other cool features like the built in coast pilot and HD radar. I think the chart plotter may be better on the garmin, but I like the fish finder and radar better on the Ray. very easy to use and does everything you need and more. on our old boat we had volvo D-4's, but it wasn't set up from the boat dealer to be integrated with the electronics. Both good units can't go wrong.

Thanks for the feedback gentlemen - and FishFace, that's basically exactly what I'm looking at. I'm just not sure if I need to spend the coin on the display for the Aft console. I'll definitely do the platinum chip though!

we didn't on our new boat either. The only time we ever used it was trolling or if we were looking for salmon mooching.