Thread: Fly rod and reel size advice needed??

Question Fly rod and reel size advice needed??

Will be coming up in June to do some fishing. Planning on doing some fishing for the reds on the Russian. I have a 5-6 wt. I use to fish for trout in the lower 48 and plan on bringing it for that purpose. I want to try my hand at fishing for the reds on the fly.
    What is the mininum wt. size rod and reel is prefered? Length of rod? Looking to purchase a 4 piece rod. Sinking line? Length of leader and wt.? Looking for an inexpensive reel that is a value for the money any suggestions since it will be used only on my trips up to Alaska.
    Do you use the same set up as you use with a spinning outfit? Fly tied on and a weight about 2 ft. up? Fly suggestions and setups that you experienced fisherman use? Any suggestioins are appreciated. Thanks, dc

For Reds I use an 8 weight, if you going to the russian/kenai most people use just straight 20 pound mono on their fly reels. Split shot about 18 or so inches above a coho or russian river fly. Be sure to read the regs, the gap between hook point and shaft has to be 3/8ths of an inch I think? I'm sure somebody on here that fishes that area regularly will chime in here.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Many Ways Many Methods

First off you do not need a fly rod to fish effectively for Reds on the Russian. Your standard 6.5 or 7ft Spinning Rod Med Action will work just fine with 12-20 lbs line (Flippen) just as you would have to do with a fly rod in between all those people.

If your sticking to the Fly gig look towards a Temple Fork Outfitters (TFO) or basic Cabelas travel rod you should get out the door from $85.00 - $150.00 you can save money on package /combo rigs.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...dard-item.jsp?

Match the Traditional II Rods with the Cabela's Three Forks reel for an economical combo.

Cabela's Traditional Rods have long been a customer favorite for delivering premium performance at an affordable price. The updated Traditional II rods take this performance to a whole new level. These are fast-action rods for the frugal fly-fisherman. They are constructed of high-modulus graphite that generates high line speeds. The rod has appealing aesthetics with the combination of an olive-colored blank and dark rosewood reel seat (fighting butt on 8- and 9-weight rods). Specific rod models are available to cover a wide range of fly-fishing situations.

Carrying on the Cabela's tradition, our Cabela's Three Forks Reels set a new standard in affordable fly-reel performance. All the angler-friendly features you expect from a Cabela's reel are there including a smooth, adjustable Rulon® disc drag and a large arbor design for quick line pick-up. The graphite construction is lightweight, yet durable. A knurled drag knob makes drag adjustment quick and easy. Oversized handle. Easily converts from left- to right-hand retrieve. Combos come with Prestige Plus fly line and backing. (From their Web page)

$129.00 for Line, Reel and 9ft Rod for a 7-8- or 9W. Should get you in the game and allow you to fish Reds, Rainbows, Pike and Bas and or Walleye back home.

That being said you could purchase the Rod and look to upgrade the reel either way it is hard to best the combo deals at Cabelas.

You might want to also try Hook & Hackle they also have respectable deals on combos or you rmight be able to piece together an outfitt at a very reasonable price ask to Speak to Ron if you contact them. www.hookhack.com

Also S.I. puts aout products that meets your needs as well that are reasonable:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ducts/Outfits/

Sorry for rambling. Stay away from the leader deal if your just fishing reds for the time being you will be fine with regular 12-20 lbs fishing line as your leader about 6-8ft maybe 9-10 depending on your water depth but normally 6ft is enough for flippen for Reds with one standard large shot attached 18 or so inches above your line and of course your fly.

Tight Lines and Best Wishes

Blue Moose

If you are in an area where you are combat fishing you will be hated by the people on both side of you if you want to play a red with a lightweight rod.
    Sadly, when you are combat fishing the rule is to get them out of the water as fast as you can. But it will still be a experience of a lifetime. Personally everyone in our family likes to use a 10 wt rod with some backbone in it.
    Tennessee

for reds i use a 7 weight cause of the possibility of hooking othere species while i fish i like the fight, i think i get more sensitivity out of it and i can handle the fish just fine.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Default Very few "real" fly fisherman.........

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    If you are in an area where you are combat fishing you will be hated by the people on both side of you if you want to play a red with a lightweight rod.
    Sadly, when you are combat fishing the rule is to get them out of the water as fast as you can. But it will still be a experience of a lifetime. Personally everyone in our family likes to use a 10 wt rod with some backbone in it.

The weight rod really depends on you experience level and just how much lead your are going to toss... personally I fish anything from a 6-8 wt up there and it really depends on the induvidual rod action...

There are alot of ppl that use Sear and Robuck crane cable terminal gear and yard their fish in... They also snag more and loose more unless their technique and location fished are more refined... The water can be very high and fast in mid-June limiting access area's where light weight fly fishing is suitable.

I like to get 3-6 friends all together and we will literally just take over a section of fly water and rotate in and out w/ our fish.. This is very effective cause many ppl wade out entirely too far and use entirely too much weight.. Unfortunaly, we all normally end up hooking up like crazy and our water gets absolutly molested... Ppl wade out over where we are fishing, come stand 2 feet from u and are generally very discoutrious... But that comes w/ teh territory on the Russian.

There are also a variety of flies that are very effictive up their and if u can find them tied on 2X wire they are awsome... Micky fins and epoxy head bucktails size #4-8 are preffered if you don't have your own deadly patterns.

Default Good advice...

If inexperienced on AK rivers, and targeting sockeye/red salmon, then sounds like you're likely to end up on a crowded section of water here.

If so, Snowwolfe's post sounds like good advice. Local etiquette and all.

I've only fished "combat" once. Folks at the mouth of Little Willow Creek were friendly enough, but ya hear stories of folks gettin testy when someone cuts in on their fishing too much - crossing lines and all. A couple friends who fish Ship Creek Kings each year use 80#, 100# braid. "Bring enough gun".

Anyway, have a great trip.

I was wondering what anyone thinks about the Lampson Konic-4 for a Kings on a 10wt.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true
    This seems like a very reasonable price compared to many other reels.

Lamson has a good drag system that will hold up to kings. I use a Lamson Lightspeed on a 9wt Loomis for kings on the Anchor and Deep Creek. I also have a 10wt I like to fish, when I can steel it back from my wife. Both work great.

As for the Russian, keep your gear a little bigger than you would think you need. If your fishing in the crowds you'll want to get the fish in quickly. The water on the Russian flows pretty fast and a foul hooked fish or even a good hooked fish can take you for a ride if it hits a good stretch of current. It's nice to have a little more rod to bring them back to you. For these reasons I say an 8-10wt rod with 20lb leader. The longer the rod the easier it is to flip.

I like to skip the Coho fly and use a properly sized Gamakatsu hook with some yarn. If you're fishing the calmer waters near the mouth of the Russian have your split shot at least 4 ft above your hook. Draw your rod tip slowly back to you as your fly drifts down stream to keep that 4ft of line more stretched in the water and you'll increase your hook-ups. Remember they aren't biting, your flossing.

Thanks. I have an old Cimmaron C4 that I plan to use, and buy a back-up Cimmeron large arbor for a backup, take good care of it, the return it assuming I don't use it. I even told them this at the Cabellas store and they didn't flinch.

Are you talking about fishing a fat freddie?
    http://akflyfishers.com/fom_fat_freddie.html
    I might try to tie some of these. I guess just look for a big Gamakatsu hooks.