Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 mag. Ammo load advise needed

Question 44 mag. Ammo load advise needed

Coming up in June to do some fishing. Will be bring along my 44 mag. Ruger
    Redhawk. What load of ammo should I bring with me? Brand ? I am here in Texas and ammo is like hens teeth none hardly available on the shelves. What is the ammo situation like there around Anchorage? Need some specifics to possibly to get it order. May have to wait and purchase ammo in Alaska.
    Thanks for the information.
    dc

Ammo is limited but some what avalible. You may not be able to get what you want, but you will probably be able to get something. Though I suspect bear rounds will be avalible. Most of what is hard to find is the ammo for day to day shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    Ammo is limited but some what avalible. You may not be able to get what you want, but you will probably be able to get something. Though I suspect bear rounds will be avalible. Most of what is hard to find is the ammo for day to day shooting.

I agree with big dog: ammo is getting harder to find up here too. But you should be able to find a box or two of the specialty "bear" ammo...loaded by the smaller ammo shops in the state. Typically, this means a 300 to 340gr hard-cast bullet at around 1300-1350 fps, which is pretty good for a 44.
    For bear protection, I'd not use any hollow-point bullet. Penetration of such ammo is not up to par for the job. A lot of guys buy it because it is cheaper. It's ok for home defense and deer hunting though.

Marshall/Ak

I just posted this in another thread. I bought these a couple years ago at Fred Meyer. You may be able to find them locally in your area and be able to shoot a few since it's factory Federal Premium ammo. http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...un.aspx?id=347 Their website says 1160fps mv but here's what I got.

I shot up some 44mag Federal Premium 300gr CastCore rounds. Looks pretty good actually for factory loads. Here are the chrony results from the 7.5 inch barreled super blackhawk.

1379 avg

Some popular .44 factory rounds for woods packin' are made by Buffalo Bore, Cor-bon, Garrett Cartridge, and Federal Cartridge. Double Tap is another manufacturer, but I don't think as many people have experience with them. Heavy grained hardcast bullets are probably ideal but any stout round that is designed to penetrate deep without expanding will do.

While ammo is pretty scarce these days, I've found that quite a few of the bear rounds can still be found. They're not cheap, which is probably why.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Buffalo Bore or Garret ammo is great in a .44mag

Default 300 gr...

at those velocities? Wow. That seems plenty sporty.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    ... factory Federal Premium ammo. http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...un.aspx?id=347 Their website says 1160fps mv but here's what I got.

I shot up some 44mag Federal Premium 300gr CastCore rounds. Looks pretty good actually for factory loads. Here are the chrony results from the 7.5 inch barreled super blackhawk.

1379 avg

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    at those velocities? Wow. That seems plenty sporty.
    Ya, that's what I thought. And the nice thing about them for a non-handloader is that they should be available at most sporting goods stores since it's Federal Ammunition. The bullet design looks like the 300gr lbt style WFN bullets I have purchased from Cast Performance.

Corbon or Hunting Shack

Alaska custom firearms on Old Seward Just north of Dimond has the Buffalo Bore 300+ grain Hardcast which IMHO are perfect for your gun and needs. I think Great Northern guns has the corbon (same type of round). I would recommend both brands and definately a Hardcast around 300 grain.

Default Bear loads

Check out the Garrett 330 grain +P loads. They are the most powerful loads you can buy. You have to order them direct from Garrett. I've shot many of these in my Super Red hawk and they are awesome. I've also shot three wild boar and two whitetail with this load, all went down with one shot. I also have a S&W that I've used a lot of Garrett's out of but their 310 grain +P's are the most powerful for that handgun. For factory ammo everyone is right, the 300 grain Federal Premiums are very good and have about the best standard deviation of any of the factory rounds. Good Luck!!!

I just received an order of the Garrett +P in 330s & 310s. It was $225 shipped for 100 rounds total. Big velocity and huge meplats. Don't know of a higher energy production bullet for the .44 out there. Obviously I don't target shoot with them, I just keep them Ruger for possible critter confrontations. FYI, Randy Garrett is considering discontinuing shipping to AK due to misplaced orders through hazmat. I tried to talk him out of it. Just a heads up that he may not ship w/o having his arm twisted a little.

What are you putting those 330's in? Will the fit in a Super Black Hawk or only a Redhawk?

I am shooting it in a Redhawk. Garrett Cartridges is pretty specific in which pistols their 330+P ammo should be used in and only in. Blackhawks are not on that list. Certainly send an email to Randy if you have specific questions. I have found him to be very responsive with inquiries. Here's the link to their site:

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp

Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    I am shooting it in a Redhawk. Garrett Cartridges is pretty specific in which pistols their 330+P ammo should be used in and only in. Blackhawks are not on that list. Certainly send an email to Randy if you have specific questions. I have found him to be very responsive with inquiries. Here's the link to their site:

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp
    Thanks, I suspect is because they are too long for the SBH cylinder. The RH has a longer cylinder. Just curious, my buddy just bought a new RH 44mag and will need some bigdog ammo.

Snyd, just out of curiouslity I wend out to the safe and dropped one of the 330s in my Blackhawk. It does not project out the end of the cylinder although it is close. The cylinder rotates just fine. No doubt it would fire that round. I'm thinking the 330s run more pressure than the Blackhawks should be fed a diet of. They are so much leaner in construction than the RHs. Of course this speculation on my part. Later.

Oats is right, the 330's don't stick out from the cylinder but the pressure is too much for the black hawk. Try the 310's, I wouldn't call them a cowboy action load!

I'm inquiring for my buddy who just bought a 44 Redhawk. I handload but do have a Super Blackhawk but have only loaded 300gr for it. I doubt the Blackhawk frame is not stout enough. Heck, I could have my blackhawk converted to 454 Casull. It must be in the cylinder, even then though, the SBH is known for it's cylinder strength. I have never heard anywhere of any 44mag loads being to stout for a SBH. In fact the loads are usually recommended ONLY for the Rugers. Interesting... Murphy??

No doubt the Black hawk is a beefy revolver with plenty of potential for larger calibers, just look at some of Bowen's masterpieces. Check out Garrett Cartridges and you'll find out that they don't recommend the 330+P ammo for anything but Red hawk Super Red hawk and Dan Wesson revolvers. You could e-mail them to ask the exact specifics on pressure and their reasoning. I guess it would be better to ask the man who makes them, I just shoot them. Super Red Hawk 9.5" barrel 330+P Smith and Wesson 3" barrel 310+P I'm very careful not to mix the two rounds up, the 310's are just a bit shorter. Good luck, check it out.

how about corbon ammo for use in the back country revolver in 44,mag cal..any info would help here on the bear defense round

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast