Thread: Prince Williams Sound

Default Prince Williams Sound

Some friend and I are heading out into the sound at the end of july. Gonna camp around Culross and do some fishing and deer hunting if the regs are the same as last year. Anyone want to input their two cents as to were to find the shrimp, yelloweyes etc..... kinda like asking for the goods, but if anyone wants to share some success with me it would be greatly appreciated.

Default PWS

I don't believe deer season opens up down there until 01 August but check the regs...

Default Great first post!!!!!

I'll say it again, Great first Post!
    Now to answer all those questions, the shrimp are all on the bottom, go where there is a bottom and start dumping pots. The yellow eyes aren't far of the bottom , but not quite as deep as the shrimp.
    Oh yea, the deer? Even if they were in season, Culrose is a Big island and I doubt the total deer popularion exceeds 20 on the entire island. I think I'd be more inclined to hunt the back end (head) of shotgun cove.
    Good luck in your pursuit.
    Mike

If your boat is capable of it, I'd suggest heading a bit further out into the sound to get into decent populations of fish and deer. Deer are tough to hunt early in the season, so plan on heading to the top of whatever Island you plan to hunt, and spend some time glassing.

I'm better at giving first had advice of where not to find fish and deer than where to find them

Yea I expect to be up in the grass for the deer. So if you know where to not go, i will kindly learn from others

I heard the shore around Ester is OK for some of the rock fish and prawns in Cochrane at around 150 feet. any input?

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrown767 View Post
    I don't believe deer season opens up down there until 01 August but check the regs...
    We will be there July 28thish thru Aug 3/4 so if it opens Aug 1, i'll be good to go.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    Now to answer all those questions, the shrimp are all on the bottom, go where there is a bottom and start dumping pots. The yellow eyes aren't far of the bottom , but not quite as deep as the shrimp.
    Oh yea, the deer? Even if they were in season, Culrose is a Big island and I doubt the total deer popularion exceeds 20 on the entire island. I think I'd be more inclined to hunt the back end (head) of shotgun cove.
    Mike
    Thanks for the input on the Black Tails... and the super precise ideas for the others..ha

Default Cochrane

Quote Originally Posted by mcjibbs View Post
    Yea I expect to be up in the grass for the deer. So if you know where to not go, i will kindly learn from others

I heard the shore around Ester is OK for some of the rock fish and prawns in Cochrane at around 150 feet. any input?
    My success in Cochrane for shrimp has been at between 450' - 500'. There is another bay that I have caught shrimp at 180' but that was not a consistant producer and I don't go that shallow anymore.

So long as a run materializes, you should be able to get into the silvers on the N end of Culross passage, and NE tip of Culross Island. I've found 3 oz pt. wilson darts, crippled herring et all jigged from 30 to 60' work well, as well as mooching rigs. Watch out for the commercial fisherman and especially their nets.

For bottom fish I've found I don't get into them consistantly until I run out to Knight Island or beyond. Just check the charts for underwater pinnacles and steep drop offs. Drift over them while jigging if you haven't caught anything within 30-40 minutes, move on.

If you camp on the island, keep an eye on the tides. Stay up as hi as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    Mike

Go on Culross after a fresh snow and I think your estimate on the deer population will change, I know mine did.