Thread: Painting an aluminum hull

Default Painting an aluminum hull

I have a riveted aluminum jon boat hull in dire need of some maintenance and repair. Looking to repaint w/ an epoxy & graphite type paint or epoxy & teflon.
    Hoping that those of you who have some experience w/ either can offer up some feedback, advise, or warnings about taking further steps in this direction.

Strip W/ aircraft paint remover... Nasty crap be carefull

Prime with etch primer then paint with Epoxy enamal that is compatable with the primer.

Internet research will not be a waste of time.

After stripping ( be certain to scrub all the rivets clean) use Vari-prime ( an etching primer) and then try Imron. These are difficult paints and should be used with care. Use a good air mask for this material. Use a mist coat and after it tacks, apply the two finish coats. This paint is expensive but worth it.

I recently purchased a alum boat that had been sitting around for a few years. It happened to leak thru the rivets in places. I went up and bought a gallon of "truck bed liner" and prepared the alum per directions.

It does not leak, looks great, and it even sound deadened the bottom.
    Dont buy the cheap stuff - I used Herculiner

I just bought "coat-it" and plan to use on a very similar boat. I am just going to follow the directions on the can and hope it turns out well. I wouldn't use a truckbed liner on the outside.

if you're just looking to protect the hull from growth and whatnot, use Trilux 33. no etching/sanding required for aluminum. Just clean it and paint it on. Its spendy but does the job really well.

Did the same with an old jon boat. I ran Gluvit on the rivets on the inside of the boat. Then I cleaned the outside hull completely, roughed it up and rolled on Rustoleum. I then roughed up that coat and rolled on another coat. Any scratches gets a touch up with a rattle can. Boat didn't leak and looked decent too. I just didn't want to spend a bunch.

Central peninsula, between the K-rivers

Default What I have done that worked (for cheap):

This was on an old Koffler I once had:
    1. I cleaned the hull well with detergent and water;
    2. sanded the hull with 320 wet/dry sand paper;
    3. mixed up a solution of one bottle white vinegar, one bottle lemon juice, and then thickened it with enough flour to produce a "gravy-like" substance;
    4. painted the hull with the solution and let it sit for an hour;
    5. scrubbed and washed the mixture off the hull;
    6. painted the hull with spray cans of marine grade OMC zinc chromate (also available at aircraft shops);
    7. painted the hull with regular marine enamel using a super-fine bristle brush.

Lasted way longer IMHO than had I just thrown a coat of paint on w/o prepping the hull first. But hey, it all depends on how seriously you think looks are for a boat. I'd rather use a boat and scratch it up than primp on it and treat it like a little god. I say: paint it how it pleases you, then use the sucka like a tool for fun!

Guys that are anal about their boats have way less fun 'cause they're always worried about that next scratch (poor devils).