Thread: ?Bears from Deshka to Alexander???

Default ?Bears from Deshka to Alexander???

We are heading down to the Alexander Memorial Day Weekend for some pike fishing and going to bring the rifles along. This is my first time making the trip from Deshka Landing to the Alexander.

Do we have a good chance of seeing a bear or two along the way?

I saw a nice black bear along the shore on the boat ride to the Deshka a couple years back around memorial day.

Default yukon

yeah you have good chances to see both black and brown bear
    from time to time
    had a friend getting ready to cook dinner on a sand bar just below five finger slew and had a nice brownie charge right out of the woods after him
    it was a nice bear good to keep gun close
    and can see both along to creek as well not for sure what is out yet over there though have a good trip and be safe

Default Smoking Chance

Memorial day weekend is when all the Hooligan are running. Black Bears all over down there. Just take it easy and drift the river and you will find them.

Wink

There is a good possibility for you to find them along that stretch. But as you probably already know, the weekends and especially Memorial Day Weekend are about the worst possible time frame, to hunt. Boat and plane traffic affects their movements greatly. If I were going fishing then, I would carry a rifle. But if I really wanted to hunt, I would stay at home and do chores on the weekend and hunt during the week. The better hunting nowdays is below Alexander, but you are likely to see bears anywhere.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    Memorial day weekend is when all the Hooligan are running. Black Bears all over down there. Just take it easy and drift the river and you will find them.
    Any one witness Brown or Black Bears eating Hooligan?

yes.....lots of 'em
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Any one witness Brown or Black Bears eating Hooligan?
    Yep, every spring. A good way to locate bears, is to look for the flocks of seagulls along the river bank. Set up across the way from where the seagulls are eating the hooligan on the beach. Wait a while real quiet like, late mornings or late evenings. Chances are very good of catching a bear coming out in that area, where there is plenty to feed on.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thanks for the tips and info guys. The rifle will be with me. If the stars line up we will see a bear or two and catch a few pike. If neither comes true we least I won't be in Anchorage!

Something to keep in mind; That's the heart of 16B which is a Predator Management Unit. You can no longer harvest a Black Bear without being signed up on Fin & Feather's Predator Management List. They're trying real hard to get an accurate fix on how many Moose Eaters are taken this year. The good part is that there's no limit to the number you can take and the permit is free!
    The Brown bears are the same routine as always, $25 tag.
    Take advantage of this and take some bears!

Quote Originally Posted by APEX View Post
    Something to keep in mind; That's the heart of 16B which is a Predator Management Unit. You can no longer harvest a Black Bear without being signed up on Fin & Feather's Predator Management List. They're trying real hard to get an accurate fix on how many Moose Eaters are taken this year. The good part is that there's no limit to the number you can take and the permit is free!
    The Brown bears are the same routine as always, $25 tag.
    Take advantage of this and take some bears!
    I gotta stop by F&G to find out exactly what I need. I have gotten a couple different answers about what permits are needed. I thought you didn't need a $25 tag in the management area. I will have to stop by and get signed up for the blackies. If I don't get all my ducks in a row I will see a ton of bears, if I am totallly prepared I won't see a bear. That is my luck.

You do not need a tag for grizz in 16b if you are a resident . Also, you do not need a permit to hunt black bear. You just have to follow the rules in the reg book, no sows with cubs, bears that are less than two years old. The bag for blackies is 3 per year. The bag for grizz is 2 per year. The hide and skull have to sealed within 30 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Knot832 View Post
    You do not need a tag for grizz in 16b if you are a resident . Also, you do not need a permit to hunt black bear. You just have to follow the rules in the reg book, no sows with cubs, bears that are less than two years old. The bag for blackies is 3 per year. The bag for grizz is 2 per year. The hide and skull have to sealed within 30 days.
    Yep thats right.

if you hunting any of area 16b for black bear you should just get a predator control tag.