Thread: Honda Kicker 9.9? HELP!!!!

Talking Honda Kicker 9.9? HELP!!!!

Well I do not really have the $$$$ for a brand new 9.9 long shaft kicker for my boat. I am wondering who all sells Honda outboards in the Anch/Valley area. I have a 22' Aluminum boat will a 8hp push me alright for trolling in the PWS? What about an Oh S*it situation where my main engine goes down, will a 8 hp push me home in alright weather conditions? I know of an alright deal on a Handa 8hp but I question if it is strong enough for my needs? I am not totally sold on the Honda's. If I could find a good deal on a Yammi or Merc I would jump on it. What is your guys experience with these kickers and with the reliability of these different brands?
    Once again, THEANK YOU for your help.

Default Don't be afraid of the Hondas.

I have to assume the boat is of a decent size if your using it in the sound, if so you'll learn that a bigger kicker wont push your boat any faster. If not already, become familiar with the term "hull speed" and you will better understand why. Yamaha makes a high thrust 8hp that gets rave reviews for its use pushing bigger boats.
    The other side of the coin is that you must be feeling lucky to assume anything will work "in decent weather". The weather is the single most important consideration in my mind. I'd hate to be kicking it home and find myself on the rocks because my thrust was lacking and the wind was more in control than myself!
    In light of this consideration, we run a 20 hp Honda on our 25 ft C-dory. It has proven in trial that it will in fact keep us off the rocks "In all but the most undecent weather".
    As for trolling, we use the 150! more power, smoother running (EFI), no more fuel consumtion etc. That 150 is a 6,000 hour motor and at 58 yrs. old, I'll not live long enough to wear er out!
    Mike

Thumbs up No worries

Fear not, the return home on a kicker has already been proven to work in the worst conditions.
    Sea Sport/Yam 9.9 -Seward, out going tide, heavy afternoon wind, good three foot chop and building to a small-craft-advisory. My main sticks a thermostat and melts an exhaust hose, we are around Caines head area. The kicker keeps us at a steady three-knots all the way to Seward. If you have ever seen my boat you'll realize it catches a lot of wind, dinghy sits a foot off the roof on a rack, big cover over the fish deck, she's a giant sail in the slightest of wind! My kicker can control my boat in the nastiest stuff and I bet my boat is way heavier than your aluminum. I would feel very comfortable in your boat with a dead main with only your size kicker.

We ran an 8hp honda longshaft kicker on a 20' heavy plate aluminum boat (wolfboats.com) for a number of years, and it worked fine. This includes uphill travel against a pretty sporty wind (30mph) while trolling off vancouver island inside the surfline (barrier rocks that break the big water).

Default Honda

I have a Honda 9.9 high power. I have not had the pleasure of returning home on it. But I have tested it's ability to push my 22' skiff. It does a fair job at 4 kts. I have it tied into my main steering, for trolling and a dryer return home in the event of main engine failing. One consideration is, electric start or at least a kicker that will charge your battery. Last year a friend's battery died overnight. His kicker, 8hp Yamaha, was not able to charge his battery. Luckily I have dual batteries and was able to loan him a good one. Pull starting the kicker is easy, not sure about my 150.

who all sells honda outboards in anchorage?

I purchased mine from StormChasers in Seward.

For others it looks like AK Mining and Diving in Anchorage. Hartley Motors in the Valley. Ron's in Soldotna and All Seasons Honda in Homer.

http://www.honda-marine.com/dea.aspx...es=39,40,41,42

Default 22' Bayliner

I had a 9.9 honda, loved it super motor. Ended up trading my 25h Honda for a 8hp.
    So I mounted it on the Bayliner. After all it weight was a little less, And it pushed my boat 5 to 6 MPH SAME as the 9.9.
    Both Hight thrust long shafts.
    So don't be afraid of the 8hp